1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ffirg's 02 DC Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds' started by ffirg, Jun 1, 2013.

1. ffirg

ffirg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Moromoto Mini H1 projectors, 20'' Blitzpro LED bar, two 6'' Blitzpro LED bars, ultra gauge, rhino lined bed, LED dome light in camper shell, and more to come...
    Thanks! Yeah so far the OME is quite nice. It was very stiff at first, but even after putting only a few hundred miles on it, it has softened up a ton! The front really does soak up things in the dirt a hell of a lot better. And the rear is actually softer than stock. Even with the AAL. But it holds more weight, so best of both worlds!

2. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Moromoto Mini H1 projectors, 20'' Blitzpro LED bar, two 6'' Blitzpro LED bars, ultra gauge, rhino lined bed, LED dome light in camper shell, and more to come...
    haha yes!

[​IMG]

3. losers101

losers101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    96 4x4 V6 LX
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow 14", pioneer headunit, 4 kicker 6 1/2, dual 8" kicker subs in tool cubbies, JL amps, Donahoe coilovers, allpro 3" leafs, trail-gear 5.5" greasable shackles, custom plate bumper, warn M8000
    Really liking the truck! Nice job on the retrofit as well :)

4. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Thanks. I like them a lot. I thought they would be brighter but they are a hell of a lot better than stock. And easy to install as well.

5. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Picked up a smitty built receiver hitch d-ring w/shackle :woot: Got it and a diff drop from a fellow TW member that sold his first gen for a Tundra.

6. HF13

HF13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    Hey man REALLY like the truck and the mods...thinking of getting an '02 without a reciever hitch, recommend any specific brands for the reciever? Id like one that has a shackle attachment...mind posting pics of yours?

Thx

7. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Thanks! its a work in progress but its coming along nicely. Not sure what else i can do rihht away. I'm not sure what brand my receiver is, but the only one I know of is Reese or drawtite. I can post a pic later of what I have.

8. saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4x4
    Did you get a lock with it as well?

9. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Yep! It came with a locking pin. Although I don't really like the way the lock feels/is sealed up. I'm probably going to use my own nice locking one or just a standard pin without lock. I'll only have it on when I'm offroading, otherwise I'll have a 2'' ball in there.

10. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    So today I found out my truck might look good with bronze wheels. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

...In all seriousness, I had to get towed out of some mud by a decked out subaru hahaha. I slid into a deep rut and was immediately up to my bumpers in mud. Time for some meaty 33's I guess :notsure:

11. somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    Hell yea! Looks good with a little mud too.

12. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Thanks! Although after washing it today, I realized why I don't like going through mud...

And for those of you who were wondering about the receiver shackle, here's a picture. I know I don't have the pin in all the way. I put it in just to take the picture.

[​IMG]

13. HF13

HF13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    Nice! what kind of tow package is that? Reese? Drawtite? Any reccomendations?

14. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    I'm not sure which brand it is. I got under it and looked but the only words I saw on it was the weight capacity.

15. saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4x4
    More than likely it's Reese, that's what came on my 02 and what the body shop replaced it with when I had a fender bender

16. BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD DC V6 SR5 4WD
    In this pic, what is that little square compartment on the left side top interior of your camper shell? :confused:

Btw, excellent build and you must be lucky to be live in beautiful Alaska when the weather is good! :)

17. m3bassman

m3bassman Professional Web Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Sway bar on or off? My 883s were firm at first but now they are perfect. I hope yours are the same.

18. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    I have no clue haha. I think it's supposed to be a grab handle. It flips down. It was there when I bought it. There's a little indentation in the shell that its molded into.

And yeah I'm lucky to be up here. We've had 3 weeks straight of 70-75 degree weather which is not common so I'm loving the summer so far. We had I think 10 days last summer that were over 65 degrees so this is awesome.

19. ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    I left it on. I'm thinking of taking it off but The truck still feels a little unstable while turning with speed and I don't know if ill like more of it without the sway bar

The ride has softened a little. But I've only put around 500 miles on it so far so it should get better.

20. m3bassman

m3bassman Professional Web Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Really? Man mine feels level in turns. I don't go fast around corners so maybe my driving style is part if it. Mines off and I'm glad it's off. Best supporting mod to the 883 s I think.

To Top