1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fiberglass Caps quailty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tom Tacoma, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Tom Tacoma

Tom Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maine
    Looking for advice on a quality fiberglass cap for my 2010 Tacoma with a short bed. Brands found so far are Leer, Century, Maxfit and ARE.

In general, what cap manufacturer do you like?

What options have you found to be helpful?

Thinking of getting the folding front window so the glass can be cleaned, sliding side windows with screens for ventilation, dual rear window latched for security and a light. Any thoughts on other helpful options?

Don't do any off roading, just an around town truck.

2. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I got the Leer 180cc about 5 years ago. It has lasted just perfect. The pull out front window is nice. The nicest thing I think is the flip up side windows. You can easily reach in and grab just about anything. Instead of crawling in the back.

3. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a ARE cap on my 03 Tacoma for 7 years. No issues. In fact, the paint on the cap fared better overall than the truck. Purchased the cap two weeks after getting the truck and when I traded it in in 2010, the paint on the cap looked to be in much better condition overall.

You can do well with the brands you mentioned. My dad has a Leer cap on his F150 for the past four years and it also looks as good as new.

I think its just a matter of preference or style--as well as finding the best price from vendors. IMO, you see one you see em all but there are a few cosmetic differences between brands.

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Super White
    RCI rock sliders, Goodyear Ultraterrains 265/70/R16, BAK X2 tonneau
    I've had Snugtop, Century and now ARE on my 2012. The ARE seems to fit well, and the paint is DuPont. Another post indicated that ARE's paint is long lasting. The Snugtop didn't fit well (leaked). I would rate in this order - ARE, Century, Snugtop.

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Very happy with my Leer 100RCC commercial cap

I have the removeable front window , it's good for cleaning the back cab glass of the truck

6. Apr 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    jky999

jky999 Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Offroad Double Cab
    ARE Zseries cap, Thule rack, Icon 2.5" Coilovers, Icon 2" rears, 1.5" Wheelers Progressive AAL, FJ rims in silver, BAMF sliders.
    ARE Z-series on mine. Second truck I've had this cap on. I'm very happy with it. The build quality is great.

7. Apr 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    I have a Leer 10XQ.

I have keyless entry and I had the Thule Tracker roof tracks installed at the factory for a bicycle rack on the cap. The quality is top notch. I did have to reseal the gasket around the third brake light to stop a leak, but that is the only problem I have encountered.

8. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:20 AM
    Tom Tacoma

Tom Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maine
    Thanks everyone. With quality of the top 4 being about the same decided to go with the Leer 100XR because of the frameless rear glass and got the fold down front glass so the cab window could be cleaned. In my search discovered that Leer and Century are EXACTLY the same cap, Leer and Century being made by the same company in the same mould. Price is the same too but the Leer distributor is closer.

9. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    Leer is ok.

i give mine a 90 out of 100.

the locks are shit.

but wd40 works wonders.

the sides are kinda wavvy i was pissed about that.

but now im over it.

10. Apr 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Try LPS # 3. I sprayed when new 5 years ago and just this year. Never have had a problem. Best spray I have found for locks.

Products Discussed in

To Top