1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fill holes of license plate mount

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Para8291, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Jan 1, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    Esto

Esto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Pro
    Would you know the size of the plugs from ace ?

2. Jan 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    That's a weird law exception!!?? -- I would double check that info with someone in your state's law enforcement section --like the nearest State troopers office. In Mo. the DMV people are mostly "contracted (by the state) offices, manned by people that are not State of Mo employees. So I am a bit skeptical of getting "true" info there. They are low paid robots, that know one thing --how to do their specific job-- and that's all! If you looked it up in the code/law books you/she may be right.

3. Jan 1, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    It is.

I did because it seemed weird:

NRS 482.275
    License plates: Display.
    1.  The license plates for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor vehicle being transported by a licensed vehicle transporter must be attached thereto, one in the rear and, except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, one in the front. The license plate issued for all other vehicles required to be registered must be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plates must be so displayed during the current calendar year or registration period.
    2.  If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:
    (a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and
    (b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.

Also right from the NV DMV site:

Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.

The dealer I purchased from in Vegas specifically did not drill holes on any of the front bumpers on the lot precisely because of this law. Obviously as phrased there is a little bit of ambiguity as to whether two undrilled dimples is an "other contrivance".

4. Jan 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    If you read that correctly, you should have front plates on the tacoma. Drilling holes and not manufactured for holes are two different things. The tacoma is manufactured for a front plate mount, it just doesn't come pre drilled due to not all states require it. Therefore, according to the law, the front bumper is designed to accommodate a front plate. Be careful out there, a cop in a bad mood can get you on that.

5. Jan 1, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    I wouldn't want the cop to have the option to stop me and slow down my drive. So I would take away that option and put the plate on. I used acekraut's mount.

6. Jan 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    AustinNative

AustinNative Swollen Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Maxtrac spindles OME 885s Bilstein 5100s all around (adjustable front/extended length rears) Maxtrac rear blocks Headstrong Taco lean spacer OME CBD SS brake lines InsaneFab CMC 18x12 Fuel Hostage 35x12.50 Maxxis AT 1.25" Spidertrax spacers in the rear Llumar Ceramic Tint (5% Rears & Back / 18% Fronts / 50% Windshield) Toyota Tri-Fold bed cover and OEM bed mat Triple Black Clazzio seat covers WeatherTech laser fit or whatever the fuck they call em Probably other stuff...
  7. Jan 1, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Don't you just love the way Lawmakers (mostly lawyers) write the laws so that it takes (MORE) lawyers to interpret these same laws!!??

Spare Parts likes this.
  8. Jan 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
  9. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Yep, that's what I assume too. But having seen the question asked multiple times online with no one reported getting hassled for doing exactly what I have, having the DMV employee handing me my plates unprompted tell me not to drill holes if they aren't already drilled, seeing vehicles like this driving all over Vegas the same as mine and actually driving in Nevada for probably cumulative 10 hours a year I'm not too worried. If someone throws a fit I'll put it on. Honestly, I expect the most likely hassle to come from a CA cop since that's where I drive the truck the most and they love to beat people up over missing front tags. So I keep a copy of NRS 482.275 in the truck to wave at them should that ever occur. Haven't had to do that yet despite two interactions with CHP already on other topics.

That said, if you are a NV resident driving around all the time and actively cruise through areas where cops are looking for excuses to interact with you then yeah don't give them an excuse and just put the dang tag on the front.

10. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    AustinNative

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Maxtrac spindles OME 885s Bilstein 5100s all around (adjustable front/extended length rears) Maxtrac rear blocks Headstrong Taco lean spacer OME CBD SS brake lines InsaneFab CMC 18x12 Fuel Hostage 35x12.50 Maxxis AT 1.25" Spidertrax spacers in the rear Llumar Ceramic Tint (5% Rears & Back / 18% Fronts / 50% Windshield) Toyota Tri-Fold bed cover and OEM bed mat Triple Black Clazzio seat covers WeatherTech laser fit or whatever the fuck they call em Probably other stuff...
    Oh I know, for 2 little plugs it seems a bit much.

Of course, if you think about it for someone to "start from scratch" - 1 can of color match paint, 1 can of primer, 1 can of clear, 2 plugs, then the time to make em - you're spending about the same. But then you'd have a almost full cans of primer/clear/color match leftover.

I wouldn't buy them personally, just putting it out there as an option.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Ya, just tell the dealer you don't want the holes, and if there already there, make them fix it. Spend the 35 to 40 bucks and get a low mount plate bracket.

12. Jan 9, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    ReloadX

ReloadX Well-Known Member

Member:
    I purchased my Taco in Nevada, and it did not have the front plates attached. Also, all the other Tacomas on the lot did not have them attached either. Just my observation.

DVexile likes this.
  13. Jan 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM
    brownmound

brownmound Well-Known Member

Member:
  14. Jan 9, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    AustinNative

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    In Austin, pretty much everyone has a front plate, including BMWs. From what I've seen it's the same around the state. Texas DPS doesn't play on this. If I gave an award for least likely to have a plate it would go to Vettes. Dealers here are generally programmed to just drill holes right in your new bumper without even asking you.

15. Jan 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    It's so automatic that when I told my sales guy not to drill, he said he couldn't promise. I reminded him weekly the month leading up to the delivery date. I know others that have asked and they still did it.

shakerhood likes this.
  16. Jan 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    AustinNative

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    DUDE Same here. I told 2 diff people not to drill, and they still drilled.

shakerhood likes this.
  17. Jan 9, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    PSnewbie

PSnewbie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno Tacoma DCLB TRD OR 4x4
    Illinois requires a front plate, but I told my dealer not to install it. They gave me the materials to install it and made me sign a paper acknowledging that fact. It's been 10 months and no one has given me a second thought about no front plate. Also my Camaro has never had a a front plate on it since the day I bought it and no tickets for that either.

Products Discussed in

To Top