1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally finished my Bed Lights Project. Here's a lengthy "how to" post-

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Av8er, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Av8er

Av8er [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    Thanks! Great idea, I'll make the edit.

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Looks great OP! Good job for your first time wiring.

My only suggestion to you is if you use crimps, use heat shrink over the crimps to make them water tight and secure them a bit better.. Or solder, either way great job buddy!

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Great point, and I apologize but I just noticed I have NO pictures that show my heat shrinking. :notsure: I actually used the the heat shrink in my "parts list" picture but for some reason just didn't capture it used anywhere.

4. Dec 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    Mikie

Mikie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB MGM
    Best setup iv seen! i just bought myself a spool of lights today, found 'em for $7 on Amazon :woot: cant wait to get them in the mail so i can get started on this

5. Dec 13, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Awesome!! Glad you liked it and good luck on your setup as well. Post up some pics when completed!

6. Dec 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    2chains

2chains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB 3" Revtek lift
    3" Revtek lift, k&n 63-9025 intake, tailgate debadge, OEM Bed mat, decals gone. helo black max 6 bs 4.5 os-12,duratrac 285 70 17,smittybilt light bar, kc slimlites, pioneer pb3300 bt, window tint, weathertech digfits, raider lorider elite tonneau, at2525xl,
    looks great, thanks for posting. How does the amber in the switch match the factory lighting?

7. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    It's real damn close! I personally can't tell a difference.

I only went with the bottom red to catch my attention if I leave em' on but I'm pretty sure they sell other totally "amber" options too. Wire it into the dimmer circuit and it'll operate exactly like your other switches and factory lighting.

8. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I remember you asking about the wiring behind the switch panel in another thread I believe. If that is correct, then I am glad I could help. Very good write up! I like the attention to detail including the photos.

You mentioned "packard terminals" earlier. Well not that it is needed, but to just give you the FYI, is is actually "Packard terminals" (Note capitalization) LOL, it is simply a brand name like "Pepsi". The automotive standard for terminals is Packard brand terminals. They pass all the standard requirements for being used in automotive applications. Just thought you might want to know. Again, very good write up!

9. Dec 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Good to know for future reference! ;) Tks for the info!

Yea you did offer up some advice previously so thanks a bunch! It was a fun project to learn/complete. Tks for the nice comments-

T-

10. Dec 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    Good write up.. Question though, why run the wiring all the way back to the tail lights instead of just popping it up between the cab and bed?

11. Dec 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    My particular lights were one continuous strand of 16.4' with pre-soldered wires on one end for the primary connection. If I ran it only to the front of the bed then I'd have to split them into two and I'd have to resolder some more connections which I didn't have the tools or experience with.

I was looking for as clean a look as I could do as a challenge. Didn't want to "see" any wiring if possible. Running it low and up through the back really wasn't a problem to me and it took about 10 minutes to do. This enabled me to keep the whole strand to one solid connection (less places to have failures) at a point that I could easily troubleshoot later if need be.

If you have the separate sections of lights, then I see absolutely no reason to not be able to run up between the cab/bed. ;)

12. Dec 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    :) gotcha, thanks.

13. Dec 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    fyremanpat

fyremanpat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC LB TRD Sport w/Entune
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    does anyone know the size of the hole for the factory switches/blanks. I ordered everything except a switch. I want to try and keep a factory look. Ive been looking at this switch but dont know if it will fit.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4932

thanks

14. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    Just pop out one of your blanks & measure it.

15. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    My girlfriend and her daughter gave me about 30 feet of LED strip for Christmas. Now to get the rest of the materials and start lighting up the taco.

I'll following this great write up. Thanks OP. I'm sure I'll have a few questions too.

16. Dec 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, have fun and feel free to ask away. I'll try and help with what I can.
    Post some pix when completed.

17. Jan 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    My wife & kid gave me a roll of lights for Christmas & last night I finally got to do my bed lights.

With bed cover.

[​IMG]

Without bed cover.

[​IMG]

With some of the extra lights I did my engine bay also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Nice job, looks great! I like the engine bay lighting!

19. Jan 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, the engine bay lights were pretty easy I ran the wires down the hood behind the support braces, they came out the hole by the hinge & hooked them direct to the battery with a 5amp inline fuse & put a switch in the plastic radiator shroud.

20. Jan 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Nice, I'm thinking I might do the same. Tks for the info!

Products Discussed in

To Top