1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally got a truck and now I've got a ton of questions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SmogSUX, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    SmogSUX

SmogSUX [OP] No Money. No Love.

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Manual 2.7L 4x4
    Wheelers 5-Pack w/ AAL, ToyTec 1" Shackles, 10" 5125's, 5100's w/ ToyTech Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, AFE Filter, BAMF Sliders
    What's up everyone?

I'm a 24 year old college student/part time worker that has been wrenching on cars for the last 9 years. I've always wanted a truck (either a Tacoma or a diesel), but for some reason never bought one.

I just picked up this a few days ago for a killer deal:
    2012-04-10_12-49-01_707_2dcbf1b148b9397988ad10d4aa4a932c255ab5ad.jpg
    It's a 96 with the 2.7L
    I bought it from my buddy and know that he rear ended a comcast van a good while back, which is why the front end looks like that.

Anyways it has 3" blocks in the back and 1.5" spacers on the top of the front struts...it definitely needs new struts though. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100's, but wasn't sure if I could use them since the back has 3" blocks and read that they shouldn't be used for trucks lifted past 2". Does anyone have any feedback? I know nothing about trucks and have been looking throughout this forum and a few others.

(I have no intention of rock crawling and stuff. Just daily driving it and taking it camping, to the snow, etc)

I'm trying not to spend too much since I am still a student. Currently the rear struts on it are Rancho 5144's I believe. The fronts Are all black so I can't tell if they're oem or what.

Anyways I'm a Chico, CA resident and am definitely going to enjoy this truck for hauling scuba gear, going camping, hunting, mountain biking, snow boarding, climbing, etc.

2. Apr 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    wherestaco

wherestaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    annapolis md
    Vehicle:
    oo taco std cab 3in lift
    allpro trail armor, allpro 3inch lift, 33 1250 ssr, k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust, mile marker 9500, 4.88 yukon gears spartan lunch box in the front detroit in the rear,procomp 55w lights, mild port work.
    5100's will work you just have to get the right length, iv never been a fan of lift blocks makes the truck handle bad in the rain, snow, ect. i would swap them out for some aal's or a 3'' lift spring just my opn

3. Apr 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    well if the front is only at 1.5" (looks like 2.5 honestly) then it will be no big deal to just get the 5100s. they actually lift it about 2.5", which will be fine with a 3" block. the better option would probably be to ditch the blocks and get a good AAL. nice score on the truck!

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    SmogSUX

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    Wheelers 5-Pack w/ AAL, ToyTec 1" Shackles, 10" 5125's, 5100's w/ ToyTech Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, AFE Filter, BAMF Sliders
    This is how I measured the front...I was only looking at the spacer.
    [​IMG]

First I'm going to replace the cracked manifold. Then down the road I'll replace the struts and go with AAL and use the Old Man Emu springs up front to replace the spacers.

EDIT: And those nasty bushings

Here's a pic of the rear for the hell of it
    [​IMG]

Also the truck has about 200k on it. Is there any maintenance I should try and get out of the way?

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    wherestaco

wherestaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    annapolis md
    Vehicle:
    oo taco std cab 3in lift
    allpro trail armor, allpro 3inch lift, 33 1250 ssr, k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust, mile marker 9500, 4.88 yukon gears spartan lunch box in the front detroit in the rear,procomp 55w lights, mild port work.
    Compression test change plugs wires if you have them drain and flush all the fluids change filters

6. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    this^

drain the transmission, transfer case, and front and rear diffs, and change the oil and go through and top off your power steering fluid, brake and clutch fluid reservoir and replace your antifreeze. be sure to fix any leaks while you're at it.

7. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    nice ride man.

8. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    SmogSUX

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    Hmm the oil doesn't need to be changed yet. I'll definitely do the plugs and wires though. Powersteering I'm going to wait...I think it's the culprit for squealing crazy loud when the truck is cold. I just never remember to get a friend to start the truck when it's cold so I can listen for it.

Are those front spacers I have 1.5" like I think or do you measure more than just the spacer itself? It looks like it could be 2"?

9. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Welcome to TW! Since this forum is for introductions only, recommend you spend some time perusing the 1st Gen. Tacomas forum and Tacoma Garage section. Both contain a wealth of information about our trucks and potential mods, including maintenance requirements and Suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top