1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally got it lifted...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by schoonie, May 11, 2009.

1. May 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM
    schoonie

schoonie [OP] Vegans taste like tree bark

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Red Turd
    me in drivers seat
    Iv'e had the wheels, Icons, and TC uca's sitting in my spare bedroom all winter... finally got it all together this weekend. But now I've got a couple little issues that I need to iron out before I'm 100% satisfied.

First: The new tires (Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 285/70/R17...33's) are rubbing against the frame/body mount, before I hit the stops. Does anybody have a remedy for this...I've been searching but haven't found the answer yet.

Second: I installed the Toytec TSB aal on the rear with the 3 degree shim and the ass end of the truck is sitting much higher than I would like...it is my understanding that the TSB alone adds about 1.5", and then the aal is another 1.5"...so if 1.5"+1.5" still equals 3" WTF? I've got like 10"+ of clearance between my wheel well and the top of the tire, while in front (w/3" of lift) I've got a little over 8". I'm assuming the aal will settle a little but 2"+ seems a little far fetched to me. Any ideas?

Anyways here are some pics...

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

2. May 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    crank up the icons and hope it's enuff? and some guys are getting that mount cut and boxed in at Demello to clear the 33's

Any drive line vibrations? I got a 2* shim I still need to do :|

3. May 11, 2009 at 3:58 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    What's the BS of the wheels? Spacers may help with your rubbing issues...

4. May 11, 2009 at 4:08 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Looks good. I ended up with 8 up front & nine out back with 5100s set on 2.5 & 1.5 Toytec TSB AAL out back but I have the shitty 3 leaf non TSB pack. Also have 285/60/18 NTGs which IIRC are 31s so no rubbing issues. Seems to sit flat to very slight nose high. Got AAL used so hoping it doesn't settle any, lol.

5. May 11, 2009 at 5:14 AM
    stanman9

stanman9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toytec co's and aal, tc uca's
    how high do you have the coilovers set?

6. May 11, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Looks good, I only rub the frame area in a hard turn with flex. I still am going to add spacers, just to get a good stance.:)

7. May 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    schoonie

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Red Turd
    me in drivers seat

BS is 4.5" w/-12mm offset...perfect for the Taco (I think). I'm just not a huge fan of spacers. It seem like they may cause additional stress, with the extra leverage. Looking at it, I'm also thinking a spacer might make the rubbing worse...because, at that steering angle, it looks like it would push the outside corner of the tread further towards the frame. :notsure:

I'll have to investigate further into the spacer idea.

I've got them maxed as per ICON...meaning the drivers side is at 2" of threads showing and the passenger side at 1 5/8" (taco lean). Based on my original non-lift measurements, I'm pretty sure I'm 1/4"-1/2" over the 3" lift limit in front, but I do expect them to settle a little. I've got the diff drop so the CV angles actually look pretty decent.

miniscule vibes when first excelerating...so slight that I'm not sure if it's the lift or just the tire lugs. This is my first lifted truck so I'm not sure how much is to much....but it seems to be very smooth so far.

Thanks so far guys :thumbsup:

8. May 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Looks great! :thumbsup:

9. May 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Bad ass. Love black the way black on red looks (I plan the same).

10. May 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    Looks good. Black rims on the red truck looks solid!

11. May 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    Looking good man. The aal should settle a tad still, give it time. As for the rubbing, I think a set of 17x9's with 5" BS and 0 offset are a little more ideal on the Taco- thats what i'm running and they fit and look great. I really want to move up in tire size and just do the necessary trimming- im thinking of going to either a 295/70/17 or a 33x13.00x17 Interco SS-M16. We'll see if it actually happens though. How do you like the new DuraTrac's? Any close up wheel/tire pics?

12. May 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    schoonie

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Red Turd
    me in drivers seat
    DICK.......LOL:D
    Yeah.....I was searching for "tire rub" and such and kept getting the same old, trim your fender, results..........done that. I never thought to look for "cab mount fix", I'll know better next time. As for the wheels, well I did my homework before I purchased them, but there was a mix up with the order and now I'm trying to live with the consiquences. Rather than paying astronaumical Alaskan return shipping prices as well as a bullshit restock fee, I decided to give them a try. If they don't work.....well then, I'll just have to craigslist them and get another set that is better suited to my application.
    As for the sand bags......hmmmmm.....good idea. I had thought about loading up the quad or the sled and driving around like that for a while to settle down those aal's.

I've only put on about 50 miles so far, nothing on the dirt yet till I get my rubbing sorted out. Anyways, the dura tracs seem to ride very nice and I haven't even done the alignment yet. I like the siping in the lugs and the outside lugs are a little further apart than similar AT tires so I'm thinking they will do well in the mud. I was going to go with a set of the new MTR w/Kevlar but they didn't have that size...and I had heard good things about the dura tracs....all it took was one look and I was convinced. I think they are quieter than the BFG AT Ko's that I have on my lil old tin can 86', but that's probably not a very fair comparison considering the Tacoma cab is a little tighter. They were not exactly cheap either...I paid $266 per tire. They can be found online for way cheaper and even free shipping to the lower 48...but shipping would have killed me at over $500 for a set, not including wheels. Here are some pics I took about 2 hours ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. May 11, 2009 at 11:27 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Hmm. Those DuraTracs look like a good agressive AT tire. I think I may go with a set of those for a next set of tires since my truck sees 90% street use but still need a tough, capable tire for work and when I go out 'wheelin. They look like they'd do good in snow as well (get plenty of that out here).
    Edit: Saw you mentioned a quad- what do ya have?

14. May 11, 2009 at 11:55 PM
    schoonie

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Red Turd
    me in drivers seat
    The compound is pretty soft too, so colder weather and snowy driving ought to be good...although this could make them a short duration tire, only time will tell. I'll be swapping back to my Blizzacks when winter hits, but I may wait until I have a chance to check these out in the snow. Most of my driving is highway too, as it is easily 50-60 miles to any decent trails. I encounter a fare amount of deep sand and slippery mud when hauling my quad (02' Honda 400EX) to some of my favorite riding/camping spots. I haven't had this taco out to those spots yet, so I'm anxious to see how it performs.

Mine's the yellow bug eyed one.
    [​IMG]

15. May 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Truck looks great! :thumbsup:

16. May 12, 2009 at 12:30 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Sweet. You should check out the 'Lets see your quad/dirtbike' thread if you havent, or havent recently.

17. May 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM
    schoonie

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Red Turd
    me in drivers seat
    Thanks for the :thumbsup: you guys. I can hardly wait for my wallet to recover...I've seen so many cool trucks on here that my head is spinning with ideas.:rolleyes:

18. May 12, 2009 at 12:56 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    your truck pics look to be taken in the same place I visited last spring[​IMG]DSCF7081.jpg

19. May 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Those wheels look great!
    Your truck looks sick and once you get the issues resolved It'll rock offroad.
    Great job.

20. May 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    schoonie

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Red Turd
    me in drivers seat
    Yep...that's the place. The Seward highway, along Turnagain Arm, heading south out of Anchorage.

To Top