1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally got my Taco. Now.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ghettosamson, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    ghettosamson

ghettosamson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Olly
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab
    I've wanted and saved for a Taco for 7 years. Went from an 86 volvo wagon to an 06 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x2. I love it. Now I got some questions I'd like to ask some fellow Taco lovers. I like the look of the rugged off road tires, but I never take my truck off road. In your guys' humble opinion, is the loss of mpg performance worth the look, or should I just stick with the stock type? They are fairly new so I wouldn't be replacing them anytime soon, but in the future when it's time I wanna know either way. Also, I've been reading through the manual looking to see what to do if the thermometer gauge thats located by the sunglass holder isn't working. Has anyone had theirs go bad? Could it be an easy fix like a fuse or something deeper? The only other thing I've noticed is that sometimes I'm at a stop like with the brake fully pressed and the truck creeps 2 inches forward. The first time I thought I got nudged in the back by another, lesser worthy vehicle. :) Sometimes I'll let the brake go and it feels like a hard shift. Could it be the brakes or the tranny, or something else? Thanks for any help guys. Glad I'm part of the Taco fraternity. Any chances that Toyota sells a key with a built in clicker instead of having the key separate from the clicker? Forgot to mention, I'm I crazy to wanna have black rims on this thing? I'd like to have them painted or powder coated or something. Anyone had this done to theirs?

100_2722.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    Awesome man! I have different taco but I heard the whole "moving while brakes are applied" thing is normal. but maybe not.

Again, I have a different taco but when I up a few sizes in tires with a more meaty tread, my truck handles better. as far as mpg's go....I didnt have the stock tires on long enough to tell the difference. Maybe 1-3 MPG's worse?

3. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Sixfeathers

Sixfeathers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab
    Led lights: Replaced Bulbs in front,Fog Light modification, Westin Nerf Bars, TS mod,
    Nice truck, but I will showsome love to the Volvo. Good cars.

4. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Welcome!!

5. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Congrats on a beautiful truck! As far as the tire question, aside from upping size, I dont think you will loose much mileage, but you will give up some ride comfort and gain noise from them.

6. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Gregg

Gregg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Magnetic Grey
    Creeping forward is normal for this truck at a stop. I believe the engine idle is being increased when the compressor kicks on:confused:. You get used to it pretty quick. Beautiful truck by the way. Congratulations. I love the color. I wish they had that color when I bought my 2010.

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:45 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Nice upgrade!

Personally, I think that it's worth losing a little gas mileage for the look and function of having meaty looking tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top