1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally have a "pulled someone out" story!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sooner07, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 [OP] 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Always working on the stereo, painted the front skid plate black to match the truck, debadged , toy tech ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper Looking into a supercharger and new exhaust.
    It has been raining pretty good for the last day or so, here in Dallas. I got home from work early and my special lady friend came home around 6:30. She said her co-worker's husband was stuck and asked if I could help. I was pretty stoked, so I put my boots on and said let's go.

Turns out, he is stuck... in his back yard. Apprarently a Chevy Equinox is not a very "off-drive way" capable truck. He had pulled out of the driveway that runs into the back yard to pull up next to a sidewalk to let her in and the chevy just sunk.

When I got there, it was buried to the hubs on the front and back. I got in it and rocked it back and forth and was almost out but was worried that I would get speed and hit their garage. So, I backed the Taco down the driveway and hooked up with a set of light weight straps. Dropped it in 4-lo and crawled it right out of the mud and up onto a graveled area.

I was pretty happy that I finally got to use the truck for a manly purpose. Hooray me.:D

2. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX/ Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5
    2007: Avid sliders, 30% front tint, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, blisten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scanguage, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload
    lol. I bet he felt pretty silly for getting stuck in his own yard :p

3. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX or College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 Black
    Viper Alarm, In Pro Car Wear L.E.D. Tail Lights, Fog Lights, ScanGuageII, AvidOffroad Light Bar, Ammo Box Mod, Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500ff behind the grill, blendmount, Cruise Control Mod, Fog Light Mod, 5100's @1.75, Toytec TSB AAL 1.5".
    Nicw work. Tacomas do work.

4. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Always working on the stereo, painted the front skid plate black to match the truck, debadged , toy tech ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper Looking into a supercharger and new exhaust.
    His wife was giving him a hard time about it. I told them that it wasn't a big deal and that I had been stuck way worse before. I mean, he was trying to be nice and keep her from walking in the mud, it just turned out badly for him.

5. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I had my TRD Offroad hung up in the yard last weekend and had to have it winched out so it can happen to anyone. Our yard is really steep and was nothing but mud and everyone knows how well the stock Rugged Fails go in slop...

It's always nice to be the one pulling someone else out though! :)

6. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  7. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5 305/70 GT Radial MT, 2.5 RaceRunner Coilovers: Maxtrack Spindles 4": Sway bar delete,Rear Bilstein 5100+TSB leaf pack, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, 3K fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, color matched eyelids, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamps from autozone, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    true that, they suck w/o 4/4

8. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road SR5 Impulse Red
    5100's @ 1.25", Scangaugae II, deck plate mod w/AFE Pro Dry S filter, grey wire mod, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, 17" sport wheels powder coated black, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers, 265/70/17 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, sockmonkey beside decals.
    pics or it didnt happen!:D

j/k, good job on your first urban recovery

9. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ya it can happen to anyone, congrats though. I love pulling people out.

10. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I was impressed how easily it just crawled along and pulled him out. It was mired down pretty good, but the Taco just kept pulling.

I have the rugged fails, but they worked just fine for this occasion. Probably helped that I wasn't in any mud.

11. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    congrats!!

12. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I don't mean to get the thread off track, but I have a few questions about this. Lately I've been looking at and reading a lot about straps, shackles, etc. for light recovery. I don't offroad or anything, but would like to have some basic recovery gear in my truck for situations like you describe - poor suckers/friends stuck in their yard, neighbors stuck in a ditch, etc. I've run across some situations like this, but had no gear - only a capable truck and it sucks not to be able to help.

People get pretty serious and argumentative about opinions on the proper equipment and methods for recovery. My questions are, what type of strap did you use, did you use any shackles, and what method did you use to attach to your truck (e.g. loop & pin, shackle, reveiver w/ shackle, etc.)? Thanks.

13. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    My neighbor slid off his icy driveway trying to back in his big construction trailer with his new suburban. Went off into his yard in about 1-2' of snow, perpendicular to his driveway. Hooked up a strap, put it in 4-Lo and yanked him out with ease. He was too pissed already for me to start taking pictures.

14. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    For the absolute basics you want the strongest strap you can afford and either a trailer hitch or a shackle. With NO metal hooks on the strap. Just the open loops. I've popped a light duty recovery strap (one of the orange ones that looks like a big nylon rope) in 4Hi barely getting on the gas pulling out a 1st Gen sunk to the frame. Get a tough strap. You can loop the strap back through itself in your tow hitch opening or around the attachment point and then shackle to the stuck vehicle or loop the vehicle and loop your ball hitch.

It's not ideal but it's minimalist. Straps can be found at autozone for about $30. Tractor Supply has snatch straps for about double that. I keep both straps in my back seat and my ball hitch in at all times, just in case. I've gotten the "hey man, you doing anything right now?" call at all hours.

15. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 6spd TRD 4x4
    If Equinox=truck, then Malibu=truck.

Good deal on the recovery though.

16. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice job sooner! Yeah, it's been POURING here for the past few days. Last night I was driving home and was going over the river that runs under I35 and it was the highest I'd seen it in a while. It was like a floodplain! Oddly enough, it was like 10pm and snowing since the temp had finally dropped low enough to freeze. :lol:

17. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    lol

18. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Thanks for the feedback. My current plan has been to get a good quality, 2"x30' recovery strap, a pair of 5/8" or 3/4" shackles and a quality hitch pin. I figured for light recovery I could just stick the strap into my hitch and pin thorough the loop. Then I've got the option of either using a shackle or looping the strap through itself for the stuck vehicle. From your description it sounds like this should work.

One thing though, can you elaborate on "loop the strap back through itself in your tow hitch opening" for me? I don't think I totally follow what you're describing? I'm a little slow - I don't quite get what, "in your tow hitch opening" means? Are you referring to doubling it over and putting the pin through that instead of just pinning though the sewed in loop end?

19. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    2010TacomaJBJ

2010TacomaJBJ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma White 6 Speed TRD Sport
    Stock right now
    haha.. i had to read that one twice to make sure i read it right. .lol. nice

20. Jan 30, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    07trd4x4

07trd4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    LX470
To Top