1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally, Working Tunes in the Taco

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ThreeMan, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    There may be a solution to our problem. I called Metra today and spoke to a tech. He said a solution that may work, is to buy the single din cubby pocket, Metra part # 88-00-8000. That cubby pocket is for other Toyota's, but is meant to be mounted on factory brackets.

His suggestion was to mount our Eclipse's and the cubby as a "stacked single-din" configuration that our kits allow, as laid out in the instructions. He wasn't sure which way would be better, cubby on top or bottom, but he thought that might be a solution. He couldn't say for sure however.

But what he says makes sense, and might work. I'm contemplating ordering it and trying, or just trying to find a Pioneer 800 or 880. I'm too anal about dremeling that out, I don't' think I could do and it look good.

2. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    ^Nice shot of the roof. I didn't snap a pic of mine when I did it. Headliner is a PAIN right?

3. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan [OP] Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    I do like the idea of the stack, but the surface curve is the problem. I was looking at it more and even if they put the cubby on top there are issues. First, the same problem we have now. Second, the deck on bottom, there would be a step back leaving an open flat surface on top of the deck, which is minor I think. Or, both units would have to be set back into the dash so the fronts are flush, no good.

Do you already have the 7200 MKII? If so, I may be highly interested if you change your mind!

Pain in the ass to be sure. A couple more hands would have saved the day.

4. Jan 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    Yes I've got the 7200 already. Or, err, it's on its way to me I should say. ;)

I dunno, I think it may work. Here's why. The reason it won't work is obviously b/c the cubby (with the part of the kit you cut out I mean) sticks out farther than the HU, to follow the curve of the dash.

Check out some of the pics of the double din units the guys on here have. With those, the entire unit would be flush with what is our CD player. IE, nothing sticks out farther than it. Look at the bottom of the few double dins and how they are recessed back into the dash, unlike the cubby in your situation now.

I think b/c of this, the cubby set up as the metra rep suggest would be recessed back, and flush with our cd player, thus allowing the front to open.

Does that make sense?

5. Jan 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan [OP] Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Makes perfect sense. My judgement was based on our current set ups. It would be great. Single din wise, I don't know why they set the decks so far back in the dash.

Products Discussed in

To Top