1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Financial advice for a 22 year old recent graduate, time to pull the trigger on my dream truck?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BakingEggs, May 13, 2018.

1. May 17, 2018 at 1:13 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    20's should be the time where you put in the most work and build a foundation for future wealth.

I just turned 36, and while I work out 5 times a week and eat right. My energy levels have certainly declined. I don't have the energy to put in the work like I used to.

bshammer0[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. May 17, 2018 at 3:41 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS

Mr. Cova,

Allow me to clarify my statement if you will.

My (early) 20's were my most exciting, since I made the break with being a child to being an adult, but I differentiate that with "living it up", since I was gainfully employed. I managed to experience life while at the same time living within my means, i.e, being an adult. To me, that was "exciting"

My later 20's were a little more serious, but still exciting.

The year I turned 30, I got married to a wonderful woman, and bought a nice house in the suburbs- no single young adult should be allowed to live in the suburbs, since it is really boring, lol.

Still married with a beautiful family.

Still living within my means, so yeah, a little boring, lol.

Not independently wealthy or a financial guru, but I am happy with my life.

So I can't share my financial genius experience, only my life experience.

And we all a guided by our own individual instincts, so really everyone should follow them and hopefully be happy, since that is what is important.

And lastly, thank you for your service, since that is light years ahead if anything I have ever done.

Cheers!

JoeCOVA[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 17, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    babyruth

babyruth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White TRD Offroad Taco
    Do this.

18CavalryTaco likes this.
  4. May 17, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    That’s awesome man!! Cant beat that, I think everyone dreams of having just that.

I wasn’t commenting about you specifically but I appreciate your clarification.

boynoyce[QUOTED] and bshammer0 like this.
  5. May 17, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R
    Think it is more of "be a little more reckless" in your 20's....30's don't have to be boring...the type of excitement changes. "Usually" by the time you hit your 30's most quit snorting coke out of some random girl's ass crack...and go climb mountains instead. Ya know, what I mean? Of course I know guys in their 40's and 50's still acting like they are in their 20's. Though me thinks it more of a mid-life crisis than anything. ;)

My ex-wife is a tri-athlete/ultra marathon runner...most of the people in the group we hung around were in their 30's and 40's. What I realized hanging around those people is they are mostly ex-addicts of some sort....they still need to get their high...but now they run their fucking brains out instead of it going up their nose, in their veins or trying to pickle their livers. Life is still exciting just a different type of excitement.

With that said...what I do find odd in this thread and life in general. It is expected for us to go to school, get a good job, get married, buy a house, and have kids...be obedient tax payers, raising future obedient tax payers...

boynoyce likes this.
  6. May 17, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    cohiker

cohiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB SW V6 4X4 Tacoma
    I'm no expert, but I do buy into the 1/3 of income rule. If you make 68k a year your car should be no more than 23k. That still seems insane to me on a 68k/year salary though, personally I'd be looking more in the 10k range for a vehicle.

And don't buy a house at 22... it's a ton of work and responsibility. Enjoy life a bit.

7. May 17, 2018 at 11:01 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    If I were in my early 20's, I would buy a well maintained second gen (Standard Transmission) with 140-160K miles...Hopefully for no more than 13K in cash.

Then I would throw on a supercharger and a respectable lift.

Then I would drive it into the ground-- using it as a platform to make mistakes off road, rock crawling, and to have fun.

8. May 18, 2018 at 12:18 AM
    Bajaxr201

Bajaxr201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    San Diego, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    |275/70R17 BFG KO2's | 17" Method NV Wheels| PRO Grille | CaliRaised LED bar and Ditch pods | LED interior Lighting |PlastiDipped emblems | WeatherTech Floor mats |
    I'm 23 and bought my dream truck at 21. Next month will be my 2 year anniversary with this truck and even though it sucks making that $430 payment every month, at the end of the day I LOVE my truck and it's totally worth it. Get that new car smell, put that first mile on your car and sleep well at night knowing you've been the only owner and you know exactly what's been done to your truck since day 1. Just go for it!

If you're maxing you investments out and you obviously don't live in california with a rent thats that cheap lol then F it and live a little.

9. May 19, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    dd564

dd564 Sour Grapes Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Shakopee, MN
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR DCSB
    I think this is the right path. Especially if you have the discipline to own it and keep the truck for 10 years or more. Make payments for 5. Reliability of your own used truck for the following 5 years.
    Buying new cars is not a bad idea when you only purchase a new car once every 10-15 years.

10. May 19, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    iDrew

iDrew I spend too much on vehicles...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    STOCK AF
    For the love of christ. DO NOT BUY A FOCUS ST

18CavalryTaco likes this.