1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Financial advice for a young military man.

Discussion in 'Military' started by ChamYota, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Agreed.

Although i've got 6K in debt atm, i'm going to get the remaining 3 years i've got left paid in full by the Guard, so i've got 6K to wack down to 0 before the modding to the truck continues.

2. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Yup yup. After I finish what I've already started I'm done until the truck is paid down. But 6k is not as bad as it could be. And congrats on the military man!

3. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Purchase a subscription to Money magazine, and begin studying.

4. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    TSP

EDIT:Allotments Set it for the TSP or whichever you choose and forget it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    60driver

60driver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Sport 4x4 Tim Mica
    Illum 4x4 switch, 20" LED bar in lower grill, LED in scoop, aux fuse box, avid light bar and 'sliders'
    Deploy. First one was the down payment on the house and second bought the truck and more. I know it's not up to you when or if to deploy but how you handle that chunk of tax exempt cash can set you up for life. TSP contributions during deployment are tax exempt forever and SDP is a no brainer. That's all I can add to everything above.

6. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Set up a couple of savings accounts.... Retirement - Roth IRA and TSP - max them out, 6 mos living expenses, house/future big expenses, play/mod/?? money.

Set up a budget and stick to it. Like a friend told me after I had gotten into a big financial hole - pay yourself first (savings first, then bills), and anything left over is for play.

USAA is a great place for this.

Good luck! You are smarter than half the folks out there.

7. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    yeah, i've got a couple family friend's that said 6K of debt is pretty much nothing. I've gotta budget and go from there. Appreciate it man. GL with your Law enforcement gig!

TSP? I've considered deploying but only if i could do so pretty much right after college. I dont want to wait too long to get experience to attempt access into the FBI. Now what exactly happens on a "deployment?" i've seen it everywhere and i think of a battleground but i have a good feeling that is an inaccurate idea.

Ah, that makes sense! now is a TSP the same as an IRA?

8. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    satcom221

satcom221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kingston, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Celestial Silver Double Cab SR5 4x4 SB
    VLEDS V tail conversion, gas cap holder
    At least 10% of your checks, refunds, stipends etc, to savings. If you set up an allotment from your military check you will never see it and it will build quick. If you stick to all the other suggestions you will be doing good. And as others have said, USAA is one of the best financial resources available to you.

Your service and education will carry you far in life. Good luck!!:oldglory:

9. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  10. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Alrighty, that makes sense. 10% is small and wont be noticed.

Ah, so a TSP is like a IRA except they tax the money when it's time to get it and with the IRA they dont tax it?

so would 5% go to savings and 5% go to an IRA be a feasible option or should i be focusing at least 10% to each of these things?

11. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Depending on which IRA you have - regular or roth. Regular is taxed when you get it out and roth you only pay taxes on what you put in and all gains are tax free.

Not sure what exactly your finances are, but you want to end up maxing out all retirement options. Start small and increase every time you get a pay raise or as you have $ left over come pay day.

Not a financial planner... check with one to see what's best for you.

12. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    gotcha, so which one do i build first? or do i do both at the same time for 5% and do 10% for savings, which leaves 80% for me.

EDIT:

So, i have the choice of do i want it taxed as i put it in or not taxed at all until i get it out... Now that's interesting.

13. Apr 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB

For an emergency fund, its recommended you have 3-6 months living expenses in cash, not a mutual fund. A money market fund is generally acceptable but with rates near zero, its a non option currently.

What i do is ladder CDs to maximize yield while maintaining liquidity. For example if you could eventually swing 3-$1000 dollar CDs (i realize that may be a longer term goal- but the idea is to always be looking for ways to make your money work harder for you), You would earn .30% interest vs .10% interest on the same $3000 in a regular savings account. "laddering" means buy one 3 month CD the first month then another the next month and then another the 3rd month. That way you maximize yield while still maintaining penalty free access to 1/3 of your funds in any given month.

If you need to pull it all out penalties will never exceed the accrued interest on the CD, in other words you might lose whatever interest you earned in the current period but youll always have your initial 3000 plus whatever interest you earned for previous periods.

-rates are based on USAA rates as of 6April13
    -feel free to PM me if you want to know more
    -Knowledge is power brother, congrats on getting squared away so soon. I did the same as you and trust me it pays off, big-time. Keep it up
    - I will also echo what others have said about debt, Roths and TSP.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  14. Apr 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    Also look into taking a personal finance course at school. Most campuses offer them and it will count as an elective if you are not a business major.

15. Apr 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Live well beneath your means so when ... not if ... when emergencies arise, you can weather the storm without breaking the bank, and stressing yourself out. As someone else said, it's worth it to live simply. It really is more enjoyable. Yeah all the toys are great. But toys also break. And that means more money which means more working. I may have less than others my age ... but I have a LOT more time to enjoy what I have. And that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Remember this: You can always make more money. But you can't make more time.

16. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:07 AM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    try to see if you can enroll in tsp (thrift savings plan). not too sure if youll be able to do it if youre in the guard though. best investment i had while i was in.

17. Apr 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I think there are three components to setting yourself up for long term financial health - and this is the time to do it. Very few people do this - be one of the few and you will be happy you did in 20 or 30 years.

1. Savings
    2. Investments
    3. Life insurance

You've already talked about setting up a savings plan - that's your short term "emergency fund." Use it sparingly when you absolutely need to. Be careful, though. Because it is easily accessible with no "penalty" it can be an attractive target for those purchasing urges.

Start investing in some type of long-term retirement plan. USAA is a great place to ask someone to help you find what will work for you. Start putting something into the plan now - even just $50 a month. Have it taken out automatically - and every time you get a payraise, a bonus, etc, kick up the investment a bit. Try to stretch yourself a bit here - you'll be surprised how you can do it after a few months of getting used to it. Don't touch this fund unless you have a huge need. You can never gain lost compounded interest. And, remember that as the market goes up and down, it's only a loss or gain if you need the cash that day. The historical trend since the beginning is up - certainly there are down periods but it always goes back up.

Many people forget about life insurance. When you are young you don't think you need it - but it is also the cheapest time to buy. And, once you do, you set yourself up for options to increase it without health care screens. As you get older, you will have health care crises - get started on the insurance now. Again, get an advisor to help - from USAA, etc. The long term goal is to have a base of whole life insurance and some decreasing term that is offset by the increase in your investments.

I didn't start thinking about this stuff until I was a young captain - and even then I missed some great opportunities to set us up for financial health.

18. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Alright, so a couple short term goals for me as of today:

-Call USAA and:
    1.Set up a small credit card(<300$ if possible to establish a small level of credit)
    2.Set up the percentage 10% of the money i get from the military to go directly to my already existant savings account.
    3. Discuss possible investment options and a small percentage to go toward it(if i figure out which one is good for me.)
    4.Discuss Life insurance and a percentage of income for that.
    5.Figure out how many savings accounts i need. (already have 2)

In the spring of 2014,i'll do that, my schedule will be much lighter then.

This stuck out the most to me. What does it really mean to live simply? I've never had to do that, just pay this huge up front fee and just eat whenever, sleep whenever, no bills, it's really weird trying to juggle all of it now and my future investments and stuff at the age im at but im willing to work towards making it work.

I'll be able to do so, the guard is a branch of the military as well as the other big ones.

Now i follow pretty much everything you've said here, now about life insurance, thats something that USAA can set me up with right? I heard it was really cheap to get life insurance through them but i could have been mistaken or heard that wrong.

19. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    USAA is a good START, but realize that there other, better deals out there if you look. Don't run to them and start all your business right away just because it's easy.

Shop and find the best deal for you...

20. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    A curveball.

:anonymous: so i'll have to look around the variety of financial institutes to find the best deal for me within my meager budget.

Products Discussed in

To Top