1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Financial Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by DawgLover, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jan 21, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Let's say you're making $40,126 to $85,525 a year. That's the 22% tax bracket. That means you'll pay about $8,000 to $16,000 in taxes across that earnings.
    If you invest in a 401K and you put in an easy number like 10% that comes off the top of those earnings. So if you were earning $80K and put in 10% that comes out PRE-TAX. So you're investing $8,000 and THEN your taxable income is 22% so you're paying less taxes, $17,600-$15,840, or $1,760 less in taxes on that $8000. That's an instant return of 22% BEFORE you've invested. Now that money starts earning for you in your 401K (or IRA or whatever) and you get a conservative 6%...You're now at an effective 28% return Tax Free on that $8000.
    OR
    you can pay a loan that's charging you 2.49%...
    Because of inflation, and your VERY low interest rate, you're truck is almost interest free. If your income is solid and you're able to make your payments regularly, save for retirement first. The kind of debt Dave Ramsey is talking about is high interest credit card debt that is usually...22%-26% which would be inversely as damaging to your finances as the retirement fund is rewarding.
    His approach to cars is to buy a beater...save the cash and pay cash. The only reason you do this is to avoid the interest payment on the car loan, but again 2.49% is nothing. On a 5 year loan for $30K you're paying a less than $2000 on interest over 60 payments. $33.33 a month.

2. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:06 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    IMO if you are dependent on the stimulus check to pay off your truck, and can't pay it off without literally emptying your savings and stopping your retirement investments, you should not have bought a 2020 in the first place. My financial advice is to sell the truck and pick up a 2012.

Redeemed and honda50r like this.
  3. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:11 AM
    DawgLover

DawgLover [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB
    Leather, TRD cat-back performance exhaust, Predator side steps, black overlays, 4R TRD Pro wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s 265/70/17, TRD Pro shift knob, bed mat, Diamondback SE, TRD Pro grille, OV Tune, interior LEDs
    Going for the throat. I appreciate it.

4. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:11 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    It depends on the interest rate on the truck. I'm in a position where I could have paid cash for the last several vehicles I own, but chose to finance them when offered interest rates from 0% to 2%. The money I have invested is earning a LOT more than that and I felt it foolish to pull money out and use it to pay for a vehicle. I've chosen to pay just enough down to make sure I'm never upside down on value and get the loan for a long period of time to get payments low. Most months I pay considerably more than the minimum payment, but during months where I have additional expenses will pay the minimum. I usually pay them off 1-2 years early and the amount of interest actually paid isn't all that much.

Dave Ramsey has good advice for people who have F'ed up and need to get out of debt. But his advice isn't necessarily good for people who want to get ahead.

5. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    DawgLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB
    Leather, TRD cat-back performance exhaust, Predator side steps, black overlays, 4R TRD Pro wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s 265/70/17, TRD Pro shift knob, bed mat, Diamondback SE, TRD Pro grille, OV Tune, interior LEDs
    Couldn't agree more with this. Thanks for the advice. I am not in a position like the callers on his program. Those people don't know which direction to go in the slightest.

6. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:14 AM
    DawgLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB
    This is the best advice I've heard so far. It all makes sense. I guess there is just this nagging thought in the back of my head of getting out of debt early. It's probably a pride thing: to be able to say that my truck is paid off. But what would be even better is to say how much I've been saving for retirement. Seems there is a pretty good consensus around here. Thanks guys!

davidstacoma likes this.
  7. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    ABNFDC

ABNFDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granite State
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD Access Cab TRD OR "Rugged Trail"
    265/75/16 Wildpeaks, Dakar rear, HS 2.5" front coils
    OP you've gotten great advice so far.

Another thing you need to do is define your emergency fund. Earlier you mentioned using your wealth redistribution stimulus check for the e fund. Is that sufficient to carry you for a few months of living expenses in case you lost your job? Some decent reading here: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Emergency_fund . I don't necessarily follow that philosophy, but it has some good points.

Also, you may want to temper your DR approach and use other approaches to put that in perspective. https://www.bogleheads.org/ Has a decent forum and wiki. https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ is worth the browse. Same with https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/

8. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    LazloCO

LazloCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Morrison, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cav Blue TRD OR DCSB
    Rock Lights, Sliders, Softopper, Fox 2.0 shocks F/R, AAL
    As someone who is almost 50 (April !) and have been debt free for... since 2001 (ok, our house is only 60% paid for), I would advise the following:
    1) begin your 401K up to the match from your employer; and
    2) pay off your highest interest rate debt ASAP; then
    3) do mods to the Taco - I am telling you, mods feel so much better when you know you can afford them. Paying interest on a vehicle loan is not "affording" mods and play stuff.

Being debt free will literally set your mind free and as someone in the healthcare field, stress is very debilitating and causes a plethora of "unseen" trauma and disease.

This is ALL just my own opinion. Good luck to you and the fact that you asked for some advice shows maturity (however old you are) and intelligence.

9. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:23 AM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    THIS.
    I took a 5 year at 1.99 because I could invest the savings.

davidstacoma and LazloCO like this.
  10. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    That’s a decision you have to make yourself. All I know is that I’m debt free, house, cars, zero cc debt and don’t believe in debt. When debt free the feeling of complete financial freedom and safety frees you up to a invest at will knowing as the markets move up and down you’ll be fine because everything you have is yours. Ie. If I had lost my job during this Covid bullshit, no worries of losing the house, cars or anything. That feeling for me far out ways not investing for 3-6 months. But that’s me. Debt doesn’t bother some and those folks may have debt and payments till that die and may have to work their entire lives making payments. I prefer to be debt free and do what I want when I want. Just a different mind set that’s all. And believe me it’s not for everyone.

7D2Nova, DJB1 and davidstacoma like this.
  11. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    As a Dave Ramsey devotee you should not have purchased a new vehicle until you have a million dollars. You are picking and choosing and taking financial guidance out of context.

PackCon likes this.
  12. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    LazloCO

LazloCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Morrison, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cav Blue TRD OR DCSB
    Rock Lights, Sliders, Softopper, Fox 2.0 shocks F/R, AAL
    It all depends on how you mentally deal with debt/owing people money. I tried a 1.49% loan once through USAA (I thought, wow, free money!!). So I financed the whole car and pocketed the $60k to invest and "make money".

After 6 months, I could not handle it and paid off the car. Owing people money just stresses me out.

PuyallupJon likes this.
  13. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    rev25sharp

rev25sharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    jacksonville fl
    Vehicle:
    Silver 17dcsb trd sport
    I am not gonna say your wrong, but even Dave ramsey knows about compounding interest

14. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    You can do both, just get a side gig until the truck's paid off.

PackCon likes this.
  15. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    No disrespect, honestly. I've never owned a new truck for this very reason! I'd rather save for the future (and also be able to have fun, do mods, break stuff, etc) and not worry about my financial security. To each his own though - and definitely no disrespect intended.

PackCon likes this.
  16. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    7D2Nova

7D2Nova Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off-road
    I’m also a huge DR follower! I’d say stick to his plan and get all your debt paid off! The whole point of his plan is to pay the debt off extremely fast! That way you can move on to the wealth building. So you really won’t lose much ground if you can pay everything off that quick.

A few things ppl haven’t brought up is the risk associated with debt! A lot of ppl lost their “stable” jobs due to Covid and would be in a dif situation if they were debt free and had a full 6 month emergency fund!

another problem with debt is the opportunity cost of having those payments. Without debt payments, you can use that extra cash flow for other uses/goals (investing, saving for future big purchases, paying the house off etc)

I’ve been doing the DR plan for over 10 years now and can tell you it works if you just stick to it! I’m 34 now and will have the house paid off in just a couple years! And the amount of investing and giving we can do right now is amazing to me! 10 years ago I never thought we’d be where we are!

Redeemed and PackCon like this.
  17. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:18 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    Why pay down debt on something with such low interest, when you could invest the money and earn at a higher rate? Might make sense in the short term to eliminate debt, but not all debt is bad debt. Seems like an overly simple way of looking at finances - and one that does not net you the most return in the long (or even medium) term.

H860 likes this.
  18. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    H860

H860 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 2.7L SR 4X4
    01/10/2021 – Airaid 511-355 cold air intake 01/24/2021 - aFe MACH Force-Xp exhaust Carhartt seat covers Reese hitch receiver Weathertec hood protector Weathertec window deflectors Raised tailgate letters Winjet foglight kit Black Tacoma emblems Wolo horn TRD Pro grill w/raptor lights Victory 4X4 center console molle panels Pedal Commander
    I would agree. What kind of return are you normally getting on your retirement fund? If you're averaging 8% returns, and paying under 3% on your loan, you're losing money in an effort to save money. Especially right now when the stock market is going crazy.

19. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Dave Ramsey is a lot like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Will one drink hurt? It depend on who you are. A lot of the people who “need” DR have a hard time budgeting money and making critical financial decisions. So his 7 steps are a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), list.

Financial decisions all depend on the individuals situation. For example: yes, there are people who make big money buying on margin. For the majority, its not a recommended strategy.

GarlicFarts likes this.
  20. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    H860

H860 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 2.7L SR 4X4
    01/10/2021 – Airaid 511-355 cold air intake 01/24/2021 - aFe MACH Force-Xp exhaust Carhartt seat covers Reese hitch receiver Weathertec hood protector Weathertec window deflectors Raised tailgate letters Winjet foglight kit Black Tacoma emblems Wolo horn TRD Pro grill w/raptor lights Victory 4X4 center console molle panels Pedal Commander
    You made what is probably the most important point when it comes to personal finances. Everybody's different. Their situations and priorities are all different. I don't have kids. I could blow all my money and have to eat plain oatmeal for a month. Other people have more to worry about.

Products Discussed in

To Top