1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Financing trouble

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MRCapps, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    OBJMS33

OBJMS33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    Why do you want a diesel if your coming to Ca? Unless you can buy it on base, I don't see much diesel in stations here anymore. And someone correct me here, but I thought diesel prices were higher here than regular gas?
    I used to have credit problems. It is really worth it to be patient and address your credit score problems first. Now that I have improved mine, I name my price with these people. No more than two credit cards. One visa one mc preferably. Never use more than a third of your limit. Always pay off before due date. If you have 4k saved up you could just go with a rental for the trip and address the financing once your out here. The Nave credit union here in San Diego will defintely treat you well. One problem like you described should not hurt you that bad. If you are still under 25 yrs of age their gonna treat you different till you get older. It's easy to find help on these topics. You can also call a non-profit credit counseling service and get more tips. I had an just average score of around mid 500's. Once I cut out the extra cards and learned to spend better I went into the high 700's. Took about four years though. Had 15k in debt and multiple cards. Went to a cc service and things got much better. And like I said now I name my price. Come out here and look for a good used certified under 20k and you will have better luck.
    GOOD LUCK!:D

2. Nov 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    cwrose

cwrose Don't spreadsheet this...

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB in MGM
    Excellent advice!

3. Nov 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    MRCapps

MRCapps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    HA i totally agree with you!!! i stay on top of my stuff. here is the part that got me though, the card i got was not supposed to be used as a credit card, in fact it has no card name on it...no mastercard symbol or visa or anything it was ONLY for showing to people on mase to get a discount at restaunts and outdoor rec etc. thats why i didnt check it, it couldnt be used as a card to pay for ANYTHING (or so i thought) since it wasnt an actual card there was no billing statements or anything until one day i got a call from a collection agency!!! i hate it but whatever i am working to make it better
    However, i need a truck and i need it next week, there is no way around it!!! I have to get it done!!! otherwise, i would not be buying right now!!!

4. Nov 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Well, i looked it up on map quest and there are about three places right off base with deisel and about 6 in the nearest city. My two choices when looking for a truck were a Tacoma or a deisel.... cant get the tacoma so probably go with a deisel! And btw great advice been working on my credit from about 8 months and have brought it up 73 points.... just still not good enough!!!

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    "Debt to income ratio" and " living beyond your means". Two phrases that you will certainly come to understand. And two phrases you will most certainly hear from creditors. If you are a father and a husband your life will be impaired period untill you have a good credit score. That is your first priority or you will have trouble for a long time.

I got my first credit card on a Ca. state college campus. Two years later the Clinton adm. fined the industry for violating federal laws. They were not even supposed to be near a college campus or people my age. Why? Because we were straight up not responsible enough to handle the power that money brings you. And I learned that the hard way. Was 25 at the time. Always carried around 2500 in debt. Problem was, I was "living beyond my means" rather than " within my budget". By 29 had good job. By 35 was 15k in the hole and 29 more on student loans. With no degree!!
    Had good job but a trade. Hourly work. At 35 I was in danger of not making my minimum payments for the first time ever. Thats when I called a credit mediator and got on track.

The under 30 generation has been sqrewed in the behind by the credit industry. Want proof? Look at the state of our economy and the fact that the state were in was caused by greedy scum who preyed on individuals who were not qualified nor educated on what they were doing. Prior to my generation (I'm 39 now) credit was only extended to those who good prouduce a pay stub,references and history to back it up. Ever heard of someone having to prouduce a letter of reference to obtain a credit card? Probably not, because it doesn't happen anymore. They will sign you up on a street corner now, or at a ballgame for a free t-shirt. This is called "predatory lending". It's illegal.

On the plus, you have something very positive going for you. Your service to this country. You used to have to pay off something small like a tv, to build your history. Your credibility now is your a serviceman. And thank god, unlike my uncle (Vietnam) people respect you guys again. Use this building block and learn how the game is played. Right now they have all the marbles. Be patient and you can get them back one by one. Then it is your game.

Spending money is a great stress reliever (ask me how I know). You must temper this. My assumption is you have been under a lot of pressure and shiny things are too attractive under those times. Be patient and things will come to you.

If I got you wrong, excuse me but maybe my info will be of use to others.

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:31 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    Sorry didn't read your post above. lol. Had a couple. Forgot to mention, how about a co-signer? And that card problem sounds jacked and illegal. Call a credit counselor. Make sure they are non-profit. They still charge a fee of like 20$ but it just goes to their operating cost. Everything I have studied says that it will not hurt your score to deal with these people. On the contrary it demonstrates and attitude towards spending right.

7. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Damn you sound like you have some advice I could really use. Thanks. I have tried very hard to fight it but it got me nowhere. I would love a co-signer only problem is that I know NO one with good enough credit!!! Divorced parents with too many cars in there name!!! I wish my parents could help but they just can't. Good idea but gets me nowhere. How do I get the ball in my court? You said being a service member.... What do I do???

8. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    ToeCutter66

ToeCutter66 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Sterling VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x2 5-lug
    None, yet.
    Check your PMs, I work at NFCU.

9. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Magnolia, TX
    i have a dodge diesel in addition to my taco and unless you need the larger capacity of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, i would stick to a smaller truck. i hardly drive my dodge since i bought my taco. the taco is easier to park, makes better mpg, less maintenance, cheaper to operate.

the dodge is the truck we take to church becuase the ol lady doesnt like the taco but thats about the only time it moves anymore.

brett

10. Nov 13, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Credit counseling will go on your credit report and the odds of you getting a loan while in it is slim to none. It shows that you cannot responsibly handle what you have now so why would someone add to that?

Go to creditboards.com There is a wealth of information there.

11. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    He doesn't need to go on their service. He doesn't have too many credit cards out. He got sqrewed by one card being used outside the terms that the card was suppossed to be utilized under. They should be able to reverse the damages and take that off his credit report, there by helping him. I financed my motorcycle in 2007 and if I was not on cc anymore, then I had only finished withing 6mos. of that. Honestly can't remember now. I get my information from a show called Money 101. It is on KNX 1070 radio out of L.A. It is the CBS affiliate news station in L.A
    Bob McCormick is a well respected reporter. That show and the KNX business hour host interviews with industry people all the time on these subjects. Everything I have heard there says it will not hurt your credit report. The people they interview say that is mis-information put forth by the credit industry to keep people from seeking help. But again that is not the problem he has. True most people (like me) seek help from them by getting spread too thin over many cards.

Interesting the site you suggested is plastered with private adds for cc.

Personally I don't like the whole co-signer thing anyhow. Like to feel like I can take care of myself. As I sure most of us here do. I have not worked with NFCU. Hopefully Toecutter can help you out. Or another serviceman.

My main point in a nutshell, although the truck is a very pressing problem.
    Your credit score as family man is a priority.

If you raised you score 73 points in 8mos. you are on the right track!! And doing fine! Just keep that up. That is a big jump. Remember to check you free score once a year. It's very satisfying watching that thing go up. Good Luck!!

12. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Well good news. I got aproved for a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel. So not all is bad..... Guess I will just lurk on this site now until they get a diesel Tacoma. Then I will be back. Thanks for all the help guys.

13. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    congrats on getting a truck... sorry it's not a Tacoma.

14. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:25 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Yeah me too. All well I can just wait for the new models to come out and maybe soon they will change more than the cup holders :)

15. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I'm glad I've got the "old" cup holders :D My canteen won't fit in the new one.....

Products Discussed in

To Top