1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fire Extinguisher...get one!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by novataco, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    @Fire252fighter thanks. I will have some more questions when I have time and may even start another post. Will tag you for input to correct the mistakes :)

2. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:19 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    The best I have seen so far is Cold Fire.
    I kinda liked what @Mr. Torgue said in another thread. Basically if the vehicle is engulfed destroying the electronics is going to be the least of concern.
    Something like that Mr. T?

3. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Storage recommendations for Cold Fire are temperatures from 32F to 120F. Pretty much rules out half of the year around here.

While I agree with Mr T, if a car is engulfed I don't think any small portable extinguisher will do much good. And the really small sizes most people here seem carry they are just "feel good" accessories since they will barely take care of a burning waste basket. I'm now leaning toward a 5 lb BC sodium bicarbonate extinguisher. Its far more likely that I will need to extinguish a fire that occurs while wrenching on a truck or an empty vehicle than actually using it to save a life. No sense totaling a vehicle with an ABC in those cases. And I think the BC should do almost as good a job in a real emergency. But I would like to hear from Fire252fighter.

DrFunker[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM
    DrFunker

Member:
    Nice. :thumbsup:
    Watching closely.

steelhd[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:53 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Mr. Torgue Explosions!!?!!?!?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
    Pretty much, the additional damage, if there's any, from the dry chem, will most likely pale in comparison to the damage actually caused by the flames themselves.

DrFunker[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2016 at 2:08 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    Over the past 30 years, I have used "feel good" extinguishers probably half a dozen "good Samaritan" times. In "almost" every instance they were automotive related and performed admirably and kept a bad situation from getting worse. "Feel good" for me is 2.5lb ABC, monoammonium phosphate dry chemical. As pointed out, better to actually have something other than good intentions.

7. Feb 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM
    Fire252fighter

Fire252fighter The guy that comments every now and then

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Both abc and bc have there downfalls when worring about totaling a vehicle. I think either are fine to carry as both will put out a fire. I carry abc as I can refill and charge them at my station.
    1. Hazards of ABC and BC extinguishers
    2. You should be aware that the BC extinguisher does leave a mildly corrosive residue that must be cleaned up right away to prevent any damage to materials. To clean up, try vacuuming, sweeping or flushing with water. The ABC extinguisher leaves behind a sticky residue that can wreak havoc on electrical appliances, like computers.
    The biggest reason small as you guys have put it "feel good extinguishers" don't work is user error. Not saying that ppl that are not fire fighters can't put out a fire. But I have pulled up to many car fires at or near a gas station and had ppl emptying mult 5 pound extinguishers on a closed hood just shooting the flames escaping between hood and gender or windshield. Hitting the base of the fire and getting the product up under the hood is key.

8. Feb 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    Fire252fighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Sry that was kinda long. But summary either dry Chem has its ups and downs.
    Small is better than none
    Bigger is great but without some effort/skill it's just more powder laying on the side of the road

steelhd and DrFunker like this.
  9. Feb 15, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Story time :popcorn:

A few years back a drunk driver was speeding down a road, lost control and smashed into a vehicle. The driver and front passenger were knocked unconscious, the child in the rear seat was not. The vehicle burst into flames. A passerby pulled the 2 front seat occupants out of the vehicle not knowing there was another passenger in the rear because of the flames and the other occupants were unconscious. The child did not survive. The passerby who pulled the 2 adults out of the vehicle commited suicide a few years later. Nobody knows why.

I'm not saying a fire extinguisher would have changed the outcome of that situation, but it could have.

10. Feb 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM
    DrFunker

Member:
    :(

11. Feb 15, 2016 at 5:20 PM
    Fire252fighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Well that just destroyed my up beat mood.:(

DrFunker likes this.
  12. Feb 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    What would you do with a fire under a closed or buckled hood? That seems to be a fairly common scenario. The one time I was involved with a situation like that they popped the hood latch so it was cracked open and shot a dry chemical into the space. About that time somebody showed up with a pair of gloves and they were able to open the hood and then directly extinguish the fire.

13. Feb 15, 2016 at 7:14 PM
    Fire252fighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Typically the first thing that goes is the plastic fender wells. Crouch aiming above the tire you can hit the under side of the hood which will coat the engine bay. Bouncing from driver to passenger side.
    If they are not melted away should be able to pop the hood enough to get between grill and hood same idea.

Same thing I would do when first arriving with a fire truck. Hit the wheel wells with water while someone else is popping the hood with tools.

In my post I was referring to a fully envolved engine. And ppl shooting the dry Chem across the opening doing nothing. Common mistake but happens more than you would think

DrFunker likes this.
  14. Feb 15, 2016 at 7:18 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Sorry, didn't read the thread, but I concur with the title.
    I carry 3,
    H3R Performance Halguard HG250C - 2.5lb Halotron® 1 Clean Agent. Pictured below
    H3R Performance Halguard HG100C - 1.4lb Halotron® 1 Clean Agent. In Back Door Pocket in Cab
    H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical (Re-branded Amerex B402T) - Currently on Back Floor, Moving to Bed in the Spring.
    The Clean Agents Extinguishers have a better chance of putting out a fire under a closed hood,
    as they are a gas that disperses everywhere and displaces the oxygen.
    They also do not block your vision, cause no thermal shock, dissipate rapidly and leave no residue.
    Similar to Guns and Parachutes, if you need one and don't have one, you may never need one again.
    GET ONE!
    OR MORE!

EDIT: These replaced the cheap one I used, putting out a buddy's truck. did the trick.

CC

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  15. Feb 15, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    Fire252fighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Had someone ask me a question and figured I'd share answer for extinguisher in a hot car?
    Almost all abc extinguishers that I am aware of anyway do not have any concern of exploding in a hot car. It is pressurized but not like a aerosol can of hairspray (thin weak can). Police carry them in the trunk of cars in areas where temps can get to 130 inside and don't have any issue. Worst that would happen even if said extinguisher was in a fire would be a pressure relief or O ring failing and loss of pressure. It will not explode. By the time you have that issue powder will be the least of your cocerns.

16. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Halon was banned. Its not available any more. Also if you used halon in a cab it would kill the occupant very quickly.

17. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:02 PM
    Fire252fighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Halon is not banned the quit making it. Stilled being used very widely though out the world. It is very expensive and so is the process of recycling it.

18. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
    There have been cases of fire extinguisher failure due to over pressuring but usually it's in combination with corrosion on the extinguisher. In extreme cases it has caused fatalities but that's usually on 2 step extinguishers where you have to press down on the charge then squeeze the handle to release like this one:
    [​IMG]

The one step extinguishers shouldn't have that issue.

19. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Well its banned for use on boats and should be in cars as well. Its bad for the environment and absolutely as lethal as cyanide for all life forms

20. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
To Top