1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FireStone Ride-Rite Install question...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kritter, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Side note, what is the best guage to use for checking them.....
    I was using my ATV guage 1-15 PSI, from my tire pump I was at 8-10, I ended up blowing it up... was lot more then 15 I can tell you.... Now I need another good one for the ATV, and also need to find something that is good in the 5 psi to 50-60 psi as that would be a max.
    All my other ones will not measure close enought for what I want in the 5 - 25 PSI.

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a good quality bike pump with a gauge on it that goes from 0 to like 140 PSI plus i have your basic auto tire gauge i use when i deflate them back down to the unloaded pressure

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    Ok so I'm going to have the inflation valve behind fuel door so were do you have the tee mounted?

4. Dec 13, 2012 at 4:11 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    That is the Tee, it has the valve in the center then to ports for the line.

Going to be a tight fit with the Tee in the fuel door, I would say one of the storage boxes in the bed would work best and there is a hole in the center bottom already.
    You can get to the bottom and run the lines easy.

5. Dec 13, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    see they also have the old style that is not brass.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F3025-1.html

You could also add this to the drivers side and then the normal to the Pass. and use the 90 on this up to the valve.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F3066.html

If I ever need to do anything to my bags I will replace the 90 with
    http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F3046-1.html

on both sides, it would have made it easier to install and had the line going up where you want them. Then if used a tee a brass one like http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F3047-1.html
    with http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F3082-1.html
    going to the valve placed in the area needed, but as of now I like the standard two valve system and two line.

6. Dec 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    ExtremeCustoms505

ExtremeCustoms505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albuquerque WS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4d 4x4
    3" Revtek spacer kit in front w/ aal and 1" block in rear. No TSB aal installed yet. Spider Trax spacers.
    You will have no issues by using a "tee" fitting and joining both bags into one valve.

The advantage to this method is it makes inflating/deflating simpler.

The disadvantage would not being able to inflate one side more than the other, as in the case of hauling something heavier on one side of the bed than the other.
    This is rather uncommon in a smaller truck. Primarily would been seen in a full size truck hauling a slide in camper which has its water storage tank on one side rather than across the front.

7. Dec 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    Right on thanks. I primarily want to use the bags for hauling firewood. So it will be an pretty even load anyways.

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    Av8er

Av8er Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    Anybody know of the best "price" to find the ride rites? Any coupon codes here on TW by chance? Just got my Christmas money in and I'm going to grab a set. ;)

9. Jan 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    randyp5763

randyp5763 Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Off Road

************** or Autoplicity is where I might go. I am going to tow a 91 toyota pickup 1300 miles. I really think think this would be a great buy, considering I am going from Montana to Missouri. I'll let you know what I do, can you do the same if you buy before me? I am looking for the complete kit, air compressor and all.

10. Jan 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    randyp5763

randyp5763 Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Off Road
    sd truck springs or Autoplicity is where I might go. I am going to tow a 91 toyota pickup 1300 miles. I really think think this would be a great buy, considering I am going from Montana to Missouri. I'll let you know what I do, can you do the same if you buy before me? I am looking for the complete kit, air compressor and all.

11. Jan 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    ExtremeCustoms505

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albuquerque WS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4d 4x4
    3" Revtek spacer kit in front w/ aal and 1" block in rear. No TSB aal installed yet. Spider Trax spacers.
    :) You can try Summit Racing, Ebay, Amazon, They all carry them and usually have good pricing.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    ExtremeCustoms505

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albuquerque WS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4d 4x4
    There is also currently a set listed for sale in the 2nd Gen for sale listings.

13. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Av8er

Av8er Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Yea I saw that set but seller isn't looking to ship. Ended up buying a new set.

Ended up ordering from AutoAnything with a couple coupon codes. Got a new set for $246 with free shipping. Looking forward to getting them installed! Didn't get the whole kit (ie compressor, etc.) due to cost associated but might add on later if need be. Let me know how it shakes down for ya and when you get it installed.

14. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    randyp5763

randyp5763 Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Off Road
    Will do, I think I was quoted a little over $400 for the entire kit. I think it would be well worth it to change the pressure from the hit of a switch. On a side note, my brothers a mechanic and he mentioned that I doubt I will need these air bags, just make sure its loaded right. Any opinions on that?

15. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:

Loaded right doesn't matter, the leafs are the weak link in these trucks. Even with the TSB leaf these leafs will flatten out with even moderate load over time. The bags help keep the leafs from flattening out for those who either don't load it very often as well as the guys who load it heavy and often (like me).

16. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    Av8er

Av8er Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    ^This. Acdronin hit it on the head. Most trucks would probably be fine by your friends statement but the Tacoma's (not all but enough to justify) have these weak leaf spring issues. For that reason the Ride Rites have been a huge positive resource for many Tacoma drivers. Whether towing or just hauling loads in the bed makes no difference, these bags help considerably and offer peace of mind. Good investment from all the research I've done. ;) Enjoy the Full package and let me know how ya like it. Pics too if you can!

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I have had an issue with mine for a few months with leaky fill valves. The O ring inside (not a serviceable part) one of the shrader valve went bad. I would have to fill every day to maintain proper pressure in them.

People have been suggesting using the 1/4 IN OD Compression T fittings. Then there was a lot of back and forth about the bumps and pressure and uneven loads...

I decided to use that mod and went with an addition to it. I put one of these on EACH of the lines before the T valve then went to the single shrader fill valve.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HomeDepot had everything. The 1/4" OD PEX tubing they had in a 15' ice maker kit or as 25' roll. I grabed one of the 25' rolls and ram the line to the cab. Under the driverside through the underside rubber gromet into the cab, through the moulding, kick panel.

Under the dash near the OBDII connector on the fuse block mount, there is a hole. I used a UNI bit and widened it enough to thread the Shrader fill valve through it.

For now, it is all temporary.

I want to get the Air Tank Sliders and then I'll grab a pump, distro block, solenoid valves, ano of course gauges.

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I'll get a couple snapshots for everyone later.

Quick thoughts - I do not like the push fittings. They are ALWAYS the failure point/ leaks. If the line is bent slightly, it causes a leak.

In order to get the compression fittings assembled, use soapy water in the line and on the nipples. Once you get them in, use more soapy water to help slide the threaded fitting onto the nipple. Grip the line firmly and the threaded fitting in the other hand and PULL at a hard and constant pace. It should all fit together now. Might need to trim the plastic once it is pulled into place. Sometimes the line is pulled over the nipple a little, just trim it.

Gauge(s)?! 1 or 2 right? I say ONE. Heres why->
    [​IMG]
    P/N 90082 - 160 PSI Black Face Illuminated
    These are DUAL NEEDLES! so you can have 1 gauge, that reads the pressure of 2! Saves space in our cramped trucks.

I need to determine a good place to mount the gauge. Eventually, might get the supercharger, so thats a second gauge, and would want to monitor the 2 battery's voltage/ draw. <- 3 gauges, maybe a post mount 3 cluster?

People that want the open T valve, turn the dials to OPEN and let them do their thing. Otherwise, you now have 1 fill valve and 2 bags. You can isolate each one for different psi by again, turning the valve to close on one side and leaving the other open for the filling of different pressure. Then close them again.

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Very good info. Thanks for sharing, skygear.

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    FYI- the 1/4 clear/ translucent PEX rolls from HomeDepot are rated up to 165psi. Pretty sure the RED Firestone AirLine is the same.

Depot local to me had the Black at one point. Thats the color I wanted, but the Translucent is good too for tracking down the moisture in the system.

Next time I have access to a lift, and some time, I'm going to change out the L fittings on the bags for L fittings that are compression fit.

Products Discussed in

To Top