1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firm Brakes/Rear Brakes Locking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elk340, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    elk340

elk340 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    *FIXED*

Everyone,
    I just had my truck lifted with a Toytec ULK and had stainless steel braided rear lines installed. Now, when pressing on the brake peddle while driving, it feels very firm and does not travel very far, maybe 2". The problem is that, at first, there is no discernable braking action taking place. I can apply more force but more force does not equal more braking force in this specific case. Then, after about 5 seconds, the truck starts slowing down faster, as if you just ran into quick sand, and then the rear wheels lock up and start to skid.

I am not sure if this is related to the lift (VSC) or the stainless steel brake lines as they were both done at the same time. I am confused. Help!

Justin

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Unless you changed tire size, the VSC shouldn't have been affected. Are you getting any dash lights flashing, like the ABS or BRAKE light?

I've heard SS brake lines do firm up the pedal, but you shouldn't be locking up the rear tires at all.

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Sounds like they may need bled again.

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    x2 start at the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and work your way to closest. Make sure your reservior stays full or you'll be starting all over again mid way through.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    There's a Toyota procedure in the FSM to bleed brakes. It's not quite the same as old-school bleeding. I don't have a link, but I would look into that.

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    With VSC w/o VSC

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    elk340

elk340 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    FIXED! I originally thought it was VSC related due to the lift and 33" tires, but, as you all suggested, I bled the brakes in the rear again and they are now fixed! The company who installed them said that they bled them but apparently they didn't get all of it. Just a little bit of air out of each rear assembly was causing all of the trouble.

So much for a squishy peddle indicating air in the system. Now a firm one might do the same, ha-ha.

Thank you!

Products Discussed in

To Top