1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Deployment...Have some questions

Discussion in 'Military' started by 68Whiskey, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 68Whiskey

68Whiskey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    Im deploying soon. What can I bring with me to make my deployment not suck as much or what can I bring to help me in my job field? I know some of you out there have more experience/deployments than I do so any input would be much appreciated.

Here are somethings im bringing
    1)Laptop
    2)External HD w/ movies & shows
    3) Leatherman and Rescue Knife

p.s I already have SGLI and Autopay before thats is brought up

2. John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    Bring a BIBLE with you....:)
    [​IMG]

3. toyoTRDtaco

toyoTRDtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Good luck on your tour. Will you be in KAF or out to a FOB? I am also a military medic but in the Canadian Military. I've been to KAF in 07/08. You may not feel prepared, but when you have someone dieing in your arms. All nervousness goes out the window. It's like a switch turns on and you go into work mode.

A little advise, remember you can't save everyone. I was always hard on myself when we lost someone. Always thinking what I could have done differently, etc. remember to debrief with your troops and doc after every call. it does make it easier.

Make good friends with some guys. It will make your tour go by so much fater. I hope this helps. PM me if you want any more info or stories lol.

Bring swarm clothes if your going over during the winter months. Believe it or not, it gets FN cold there.

That's about it.

4. Murph

Murph ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!

Member:
    Co Springs
    Vehicle:
    2000 Extra Cab TRD O/R
    3" lift. American racing 15'' rims. 33x12.50 BFG A/T tires. tool box. ARB bumper, mile marker winch, kc highlights. No carpet inside sprayed with bed liner. Kicker door speakers. Alpine head unit.
    Your going to need some type of mp3 player with you.

Invest in a head lamp with red and usually 3 stages of white light, wal mart has energizer lights for 15 bucks... and extra AAA battery's the army doesn't have these from supply!

Books to read or an application on an ipod or something similar with reading material.

Bring a few European outlet adapters with you its not going to be standard American 3 prong plugs.

Other odd items i suggest electric shaver and disposable razors, extra hygiene stuff tooth brushes... tooth paste... shaving cream. Other things that never hurt are 550 cord, duct tape, a small mirror for shaving. And something to repel sand fleas... and if your going to a remote op like me, bring laundry detergent to hand wash your clothes.

5. Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    Not sure about Army regulations, but isnt some of the stuff in the first post OPSEC? Not trying to flame, just watching your back.

6. toyoTRDtaco

toyoTRDtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Would be in our military lol

7. TengoTaco

TengoTaco Wish i was wheelin

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD stock
    None
    Bring a pillow

We had mattresses in camp bastion, so bring a twin sheet.

Good flip flops, the 99 cent ones last about 2 days.

Couple good books,

Camera

8. Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I really have nothing to add other than a good luck, thank you, a wish I could doing the same, and the little 15 dollar head lamp that I think he is referring to is awesome I have one and love it.

9. rhowell

rhowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    Good luck, and thanks.

10. Rocknroll

Rocknroll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
  11. tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 X 2 Regular Cab
    Chrome exhaust tip
    Extra PT gear to wear off duty.

12. TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    Yea I agree some of this is OPSEC by Air Force reg, im not out to bash just cover your back.....as far as the depoloyment take some things to read, Guns and Ammo Car and Driver what ever you like. and be safe...

13. rubberduckytaco

rubberduckytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nicholas
    sumter sc
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner dc sb
    running boards, backup camera, yellow fogs, camo interior
    Saying where he is going isn't Nec opsec he didn't say when he was leaving or where from so I think he should be fine

14. Justin W

Justin W Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Benning, via Gainesville, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    MGM double cab Tacoma
    OME 884x coil springs, OME 90000, and N182 shocks. Toytec 2" AAL. Subdued American flag decal. Carbon fiber vinyl interior accents.
    Dude if you stay at KAF hit up the British Px and buy some NUTs and ZOO magazines you will be glad you did!!!

15. Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tough as woodpecker lips...
    Icon Ext Travel COs w/700lb King ID springs Icon VS 2.0 Rear Shocks All-Pro Expo Leaf Pack TC UCA Retrofit Headlights Wet Okles Weathertech Floor Mats TRD Exhaust ATO rear bumper w/swing out tire carrier ARB bumper Smittybilt XRC8 ATO IFS, Tranny, Transfer, and gas tanks skid 4x Innovation DOM sliders w/kickout

NONE of this is OPSEC related. This is all common knowledge that 82nd is deploying soon. You can find that out on any news channel around Fayettville. He did not give a date, 5 weeks is broad enough to say, and what makes you think that he is honest about the whole 5 week thing anyway?:D OP you are good to go with this post.

\\BREAK\\

You should bring a box of ziplock baggies for all your electronics. The sand gets into everything and ruins it. As for the pillow and sheets, IMHO I think you should have someone send you that stuff in a package, as you already have a ton of stuff to carry. My recommendation is that you pack light suck it up for the first month or so, then have your family send you comfy stuff, but def bring your laptop, hard drive, MP3 player, good flip flops for shower shoes, as many cream t-shirts, socks, and underwear as possible, and a good watch. Afcrackistan is pretty built up now, so there is a lot of stuff you can buy at the PX. Also there are things that the unit you are replacing will be trying to sell to you as they won't want to bring it back with them, ex. tv's, dvd players... Keep your head up and your ass down. You will be fine, it is an experience noone will ever be able to take away from you! :thumbsup: And thanks for your Service!

16. Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    Cool. I thought the Army was more lax with things like this, I just didn't know how much. For my unit it is unauthorized to reference being attached to a particular unit or dates of movements(even giving a 5 week window). Like I said before, I wasn't trying to flame. I just want to make sure brothers in arms stay safe from the management and the enemy.

17. AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Pick-em-up-truck
    Ultimate Tailgate Machine
    Pelican cases for cameras and such.

18. Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tough as woodpecker lips...
    Icon Ext Travel COs w/700lb King ID springs Icon VS 2.0 Rear Shocks All-Pro Expo Leaf Pack TC UCA Retrofit Headlights Wet Okles Weathertech Floor Mats TRD Exhaust ATO rear bumper w/swing out tire carrier ARB bumper Smittybilt XRC8 ATO IFS, Tranny, Transfer, and gas tanks skid 4x Innovation DOM sliders w/kickout

:thumbsup: you are aboslutely correct. I understand where you are coming from. It is probably because the Army is so large, we are deployed so much, it is pretty much common knowledge what units are deploying and just about when. They even post it in the Army Times :eek:

19. Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Same thing next door to me at Bastion Air Field :D

I recommend also bringing photos of family and friends so can remember what you're deployed for.

20. Joeymgd78

Joeymgd78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    at the moment Afghanistan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4.0 V6 Double Cab
    whats up man! i am a 68WW1 SOCM (Special Operation Combat Medic) SSG/E6 which you being at Bragg should know what that is since our school is there. The best thing i can tell you is spend as much time in the GYM as you can. it will get your mind off of shit and you will take out some agresion that will definetly build up after a couple months of being around the same people. Being deployed is a great opertunity to get in shape take full advantage of it! As far as improving your medical skills did you get to go to a live tissue lab? i think it is requiered for all medics to go through it before you deploy atleast it is for us anyways. but yeah that is great training and hands on. get with your PA or Dr. and have them teach you things take advantage of working right next to medical professionals. they will teach you different proceders and maybe even let you do some of them your self if you show intrest in learning. we just did a FAST1 on my buddy a couple days ago and a jugular iv this morning just to keep our skills up. lots of time to better youself. now at the same time dont get carried away with shit make sure you have permission for the crazy shit like FAST1's and stuff dont want you to get in trouble lol. if you are lucky to be on a FOB or COP with rangers or SF get with there medics they like to teach and have lots of knowledge and experience. i love teaching medics i know you guys get shafted in your AIT and dont learn much. its all about taking a shitty situatioin like a deployment and making yourself better instead of being a miserable little bitch for a year. show the kids in your unit that you have the skills to take care of them if they go down. let them have that confedence in you to save their lives. it really is a great thing to be a medic and a good one at that people especailly in combat respect the hell out of a GOOD medic. stay safe brother and come home in better shape and as a better trained more confident medic. Rangers lead the way!

To Top