1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Hunting Bow Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by BabyTaco, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Apr 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    And it's ordered. Thanks for the advice guys. I took everything in and it certainly helped get me looking at specific things in reviews.

I was really set on going used but after talking to my uncle, I could see how buying new made sense for me. In the end I spent a bit more than I thought I would coming into it. I tapped into my savings but as per usual Ill suffer through a month of rice and beans, pb&j, and eggs to get it back up :D. Should be put in the mail today and shipped out. If not today, for sure tomorrow.

Cannot wait to start and learn all I can. I have contacted the local archery club. They have 3 classes, Hunting, traditional, and target. I am going to try and attend the hunting and target classes as they seem to work well with my schedule.

I feel like I just bought another taco...aka money pit :D.

2. Apr 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket grill, DERPED hood scoop insert and grill housing, 50" light bar on top of the cab.
    Well your hooked now! Something about bow hunting, it's harder than hell but one a the most rewarding things ever! As soon as ya call that first bill in than your really hooked for life! I've been puttin in for elk in Wyoming for 4 years now. Hoping to draw the tag next year!

3. Apr 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I am really excited for the challenge! Most of my friends just laugh when I tell them I am planning to do it. Then they proceed to tell me about the time they thought it would be a good idea :p. It's not for everyone but it sounds like you get out what you put into it! I love packing into elk country as is so this was the correct route for me.

4. Apr 17, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I love shooting bows. I've never hunted, but maybe one day. I picked up a used Hoyt awhile back and the fit wasn't just right, so I ended up selling it and going to the local pro shop and getting fit properly. Now it's so much more fun. Just a couple weeks ago, I tried bow fishing...a whole 'nother ball game and i'm hooked...picked up another bow earlier this week just for that now

So much fun across the board

5. Apr 17, 2015 at 10:43 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket grill, DERPED hood scoop insert and grill housing, 50" light bar on top of the cab.

I live in southwest Colorado, the elk hunting can get prime if the rut works out good. Plus an archery tag is just 50 bucks over the counter. I always like runnin into or meetin other bow hunters, hunting with a rifle is cool but what sounds cooler. Callin in a pissed off, screaming bull to 20 yards away, or shooting a bull 350 yards away when he doesn't have any clue what's going on? Other bow hunters get that and know what your talkin about! Ha

6. Apr 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5

BTW my old switchback is the only bow I've ever killed with, I upgraded last year to a bowtech carbon knight sometimes I wonder if it was a bad move cause me and that bow had a pretty healthy streak, I guess I'll be able to tell after this year if I kill or not haha. Like I said though IMO the switchback is one of Mathews best bows they've ever made cause it was almost the game changer for them. I gotta feeling you'll love it man!

7. Apr 18, 2015 at 12:29 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    good stuff.!!! i'd prefer a limb driven rest, but i had a good time with my QAD as well. i love the Montana black gold rest..the rush is the lastest and greatest. nice!!

and a 35" ATA bow is a dream to shoot..not sure what the Drive is..but longer ATA are easier for me to shoot the long shot. carrying it is not a problem and i think the short ATA craze will go away..eventually.

blinds and tree stands? guys shoot longbows out of those things.

8. Apr 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5

I've got a QAD rest on my bowtech and I love it!

9. Apr 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5

What unit you hunt elk in Wyoming????

10. Apr 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Ill have to look which one I applied for. It's going to change after I talk to my friend who hunts regularly.

11. Apr 19, 2015 at 9:10 AM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5

I can't remember what unit my old man said he put us in for either.

12. Apr 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I talked to my buddy. We are going to try and switch to a party and get another to join us. That way they could help me and if one of us get in we all do. We would choose 45 first and 37 second. 37 is really tough because the big horns is riddled with private land and it's archery only so short season. 45 is an awesome area but really rough terrain. We are both in pretty good shape so that wont be an issue. I can also get my truck into all of those roads easily. I work with the Fish and Wilflife service right now and one of the managers at the hatchery is an old timer elk hunter that always comes home with meat. Ill be picking his brain as well. Nothing is final until May 31 so Ill keep switching units as I learn more.

The hardest part will be getting the professors next semester to be ok with me taking a week or two to hunt up there. The majority of the classes are wildlife management or fishery management so I doubt it will be an issue. Ill just offer to do any homework/tests before hand.

On a side note, I will be ordering a large text on Elk ecology and management at the end of the month. After reading through a lot of online information I have found it to be lacking background information that I desire. I don't want to go out there and do something because someone said this works and that's why I do it. I want to know how and why elk do what they do. I should be able to read and digest it pretty easily and put that knowledge to use while scouting this summer.

Education doesn't usually trump experience but it helps level the playing field for a newbie like me :eek:.

Products Discussed in

To Top