1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First impressions of a 2nd Gen Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by putawaywet, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    putawaywet

putawaywet [OP] Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    After owning a 2000 regular cab 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 base model for 9.5 years, I've got a new 2010 Access Cab V6 6-spd 4x4 SR5 sitting in the driveway now. I absolutely loved my 2000, and was pretty bitter when Toyota introduced the larger 2nd Gen Tacomas - enough for me to wait 3+ years to take advantage of the frame buyback on my 2000. But that's all in the past now, and this thread is about the new truck, not the old :)

I've had the new truck about a week now, and I figured I'd chronicle my transition for anyone who still owns a 1st Gen so they could see what a 1st Gen lover like myself thinks of the new stuff.

First impressions so far:
    - I paid $15,400 brand new for my 2000 in July, 2000. I paid $23,980 for my 2010 brand new in December, 2009.

- The 2010 is BIG. Granted, I went from a regular cab to an Access Cab, but that's not just it. There's about 3-4 inches more space between me and the drivers door, and about the same extra space between me and the passenger. It does make me feel a little safer in the event I get T-boned in the door (though if the doors are actually any stronger I'm not sure - especially with the addition of the Access Cab rear doors). The truck turns just as sharply (wheel angle), but takes a little larger area to turn around in than my 2000 regular cab did. That's to be expected with the longer wheelbase, and the turning radius is actually better than what I thought it would be.

- Man, is it nice to finally have delay wipers :)

- I can't believe the SR5 model doesn't come with floor mats! My base 2000 had them. I guess I traded clean floors for a clean windshield...

- The stereo has a lot better stock sound than my 2000 did.

- The V6 is over-powered/under-geared as a daily driver. I haven't towed/hauled with it yet, but I imagine it will handle those tasks very well.

- The plastic bed blows goats. I know it won't rust - but my 2000 only had a tiny rust hole in the bed after about 7 years of being under a constantly damp carpet inside a leaky old cap. The nice thing about a steel bed - you didn't have to tie EVERYTHING down to keep it from sliding like a greased pig. In the Plasti-bed, EVERYTHING has to be tied down or you'll slam it around every time you start, stop, or turn. I'm curious about its durability when I'm hauling cement blocks, concrete coring machines, or other heavy and/or sharp sided objects (within the payload capacity, of course).

- The backup camera seems like it might come in handy when parallel parking in tight spots, but other than that if you know how to use a mirror, it's more distracting than helpful.

- Stock tires seem kind of hokey, but they were on my 2000 too. At least my 2000 came with the polished aluminum rims, though. Not sure how I feel about these 'styled steel' wheels. They'll be the first thing to go probably, along with the tires.

- The interior seems pretty well laid out, with things not too tough to find, and not too different (conceptually) to operate from the 2000. I like the steering wheel audio controls as a safety feature, as playing with the radio is my worst bad driving habit. I also like the cup-holders WAY better. They'll hold a Nalgene water bottle (awesome), and are deeper and more secure for holding coffee cups than my old ones. I know that will come in handy. I don't care for how the center console opens (up and to the passenger side, instead of up and to the rear), as it makes it tough to access from anywhere but the driver's seat. I do like the fold-flat passenger seat and I think it will come in handy when working out of my truck on job sites.

- The seats seem more comfy, but I haven't had any extended time in them yet. I liked the TRD seats better than the SR5 seats (both have lumbar support, but the TRD seats seemed to wrap around and hold you in better), but I liked the fold-flat passenger seat option which isn't available with the TRD seats. (Anyone want to sell me a new TRD drivers seat?)

- The engine seems to warm up quicker (4.0L V6 vs. 2.7L I4) and supply heat to the cab quicker, which is nice. ​

I plan to update this as I get more accustomed to the truck. So far I like it, although it's a huge step up in luxury from what I'm used to. Laugh all you want at that statement, but the man makes the truck - not the other way around. I can't wait to take it offroad and see how it does :)

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Nice write up bud :)

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    The Toyota Bed mat will make you a happy camper :thumbsup:

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    My DC Off-Road didn't come with them either. Talk about short changing a customer. I didn't notice till after I got home with it. No biggie though. I'll be purchasing the Weather Techs hopefully around tax time. Till then the el cheapos will do.

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Congratulations on your new truck! I also went from a 2000, 2.7L reg cab 4X4 to a 2010 A/C 4X4. I like the roominess......and I am impressed with the way it handles in 2WD in the snow.....alot better than the 2000. I agree with the seats...and I had buckets in my old reg cab. I also love the "shift on the fly" and not having to get out to lock the hubs.
    As for the floor mats, I was told by the dealer that they were not allowed to include them or sell them with a new truck....because of the recall. Not sure I was told the truth, but sounded good at the time. They are supposed to notify me when the mat problem is resolved and I can get new ones.
    I am looking to get a bed mat to stop the sliding.
    But............although I've had mine almost 2 months now, I miss my old beater!

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    too much to read... can you make cliffnotes :)

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice write up. I had a 1991,i sold that a few years ago i have a 2010 TRD access on the way. I am looking forward to getting back in a Taco:)

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    great post - rep sent

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Congrats on your new Taco! And you will be amazed on how awsome these Taco's handle offroad I know I am! :cool:

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    +1

Nice write up. I'm a little worried about the bed now myself, as I gouged into it pretty well when a 700R4 transmission slid in the back (on the bedmat but that was ENTIRELY my fault lol... I pushed it way to hard in a corner lol) In normal sane operation, the bed will do fine :D

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Agree.

Mine came with it, and i can't imagine not having one.

12. Dec 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Any recommendations on a good bed mat? There's lots of them out there...

13. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    the back up camera will come in handy when trying to couple a trailer for towing. You'll get the ball in the hitch perfect!

14. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    Fern

Fern TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    285/70R17 COOPER STT PRO | MOTO METAL 957 | 3" 885 COIL LIFT W/ AAL | MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER | AVID OFFROAD LIGHTBAR W/ 22" LED BAR
    the factory bed mat works great!! :)

15. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Or a $20 doormat....

16. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    usnatclee

usnatclee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 corvette 12 Camaro 13 And Wrangler
    (SOLD)4 Bilstein 5100's, OME885s, 2" Toytec AAL rear, 3" total lift, 285/70/R17 BFG MTX on stock rims, AIRAID cold air intake w/ secondary filter removed, CB radio w/ firestik shorty antenna, custom bumper and sliders from those guys rod and customs, URD stage 3 competition clutch, Tom Woods one piece double cardan drive shaft, and URD short throw shifter.
    It wont seem over-powered and undergeared when you lift it 3" and put 285/75R16 Mud Terrains on it. I am actually going to go from 3.73 gers to 4.56.

17. Jan 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Another surprise - even though the new trucks look bigger the interior of the bed is actually smaller. My bed mat from my 2000 regular cab is too big to fit in my 2010 Access Cab without trimming. I had to trim almost 2" off each side (fore and aft of the wheel wells, between the wells fits fine) and 3" off the front to get it to fit.

(After complaining about the plastic bed and things sliding, I had a 'smack yourself in the forehead' moment when I remembered the mat in my 2000 :rolleyes:)

18. Jan 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    - I can't believe the SR5 model doesn't come with floor mats! My base 2000 had them. I guess I traded clean floors for a clean windshield...

Are they even selling 2010 models w/floor mats @ all ?.....I figure w/all the probs going on they are just covering their ass @ this point in time.................

Nice write up................:thumbsup:

19. Jan 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    no floormats? I think you got ripped off. I think all of them come with floormats, I thought that was standard for any vehicle nowadays.

20. Jan 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    My TRD came with TRD mats, my dealer said they had to take some other mats out but apparently the Off Road mats are ok.

Products Discussed in

To Top