1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Load 'o' Junk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sharpie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    Sharpie

Sharpie [OP] Ready to travel

Member:
    South TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Sport 4x4 M/T Pyrite
    At all of 10 days old and still under 200 miles, my new pickup and I made our first couple of dump runs for a friend. Let's just say I'm not afraid to use a pickup as a pickup. Any opinions out there on how well the composite bed holds up? The dealership was all aglow about it, big surprise, but I'd like to know how it deals with real life from real people. I'm talking moving house, dump runs, occasional dirt, gravel and loads of lumber. Should I leave as-is or is it still best to rhino line it?

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    For your uses, a Rhino liner may be the best way to go.

The bed mat is nice to protect the bed floor and stop things from sliding around, but obviously isn't going to help with the sides...

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    I'd get a one of those rubber bed mats and call it good. The only thing I don't like about it is that things slide around alot back there

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    just hauling yard work, wood, and making dump runs it is holding up good with no problems. but i have also only had it for about four months.

5. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I haven't had any issues with it. I second the bed mat, my biggest complaint was that things slide around very easily on the composite bed but the rubber mat makes things stay put.

6. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    bigef12

bigef12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"
    If I had the money I'd get the mat. I hauled my mower and dethatcher (on trailer) amd had some cinder blocks in the bed for weighing down the dethatcher. Those things must have hit the side of my bed 30 times before I got to my destination. Never had any rhino lining, so I can't speak for that.

I will also say I have helped move probably 4-5 people with my truck and the bed hasn't failed me yet.

7. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I have hauled a few thing here and there, and have had no problem with it. Besides getting scratched up, it does not feel weak. I had a good amount of edging stones in the back for my in-laws, and I wasn't worried it was going to fail, if thats what you mean. It will scratch pretty easy though, so if your worried about that than Rhino line it. If your not, I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    Sharpie

Sharpie [OP] Ready to travel

Member:
    South TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Sport 4x4 M/T Pyrite
    Sounds good. I've got a commercial rubber outdoor floormat (4x6") I used in my old Mazda to prevent the sliding that I can toss in there. Not custom fit, but it should do the job. I think I'll have to cut the wheel wells out of it so it sits better though, never cared enough to do that for the Mazda.

9. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    I use mine for a lot of truck stuff. I hate how easy stuff slides around, it cost me a canopy window last month...

Other than that it's great. Mine has a few scratches but no big deal, nice thing is if you use it as is for a while and it gets all beat up you can rhino line it then and it's not like you need to worry about the scratches rusting or anything between now and then.

I'm undecided whether I want to tackle building a roll out bed floor (super handy with the canopy) or just get a rubber mat.

10. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008, Black sand pearl, SR5, 4X4
    PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with Hella Black Magics, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.
    I've hauled many many loads of crap, scrap metal, firewood, topsoil etc. The bed is very robust.

11. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    IME a rubber mat of any kind (even just a small one, right under the object) works great to prevent sliding. Without a mat, it's like the floor is made of ball bearings. :D (Which can actually be handy sometimes.)

I discovered that my normal usage (unloading a 70 lb speaker cabinet) was leaving some pretty deep gouges in the plastic liner on the tailgate. I don't really care, but if it's torn up that much after 2 months, it might not make it 20 years. :rolleyes:

I've modified my technique a bit (little more lifting, little less dragging) and hopefully that will quit cutting up the plastic so bad.

12. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I make several dump runs a year with my truck. Very handy indeed.
    I don't use a bed mat or anything. I find it pretty easy to just sweep out the junk. I can see the mat being useful to prevent slipping though

To Top