1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Oil Change Completed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by printman2000, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Nov 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    printman2000

printman2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amarillo, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    I just finished my first oil change since buying my 09. Wow, it was easy. Especially after reading up on it on these boards.

I used an OEM filter and switched over to full synthetic.

My only problem was the dipstick. I just could not get a good read on it. I put in the 5.5 quarts and hope it is good. I did try the scuffing with sandpaper but then did not help.

2. Nov 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD OR DC Silver
    Same issue here when I changed mine a few days ago. Drive it for a couple of days and then re-check. If you put in 5.5 quarts, you shouldn't worry about being dangerously low or high.

I love how much easier and cleaner the oil filter change is than on the gen1!

I used the TRD filter and went with 0W-30 Mobil1.

3. Nov 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 Well-Known Member

Member:
    bull crap. i have a 98 taco and it way hard to get to the filter. i have to reach as far as my arm will go to reach the filter. I have a big lift so it may make it hard idk. nerver changed it without the lift

4. Nov 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    printman2000

printman2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amarillo, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Um, isn't that what he said?

5. Nov 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    It might be hard to get to the filter on yours, but on the 2nd gen's it's easy - it sits right up front.

6. Nov 14, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD OR DC Silver
    That's exactly what I was saying! My Gen1 was impossible to get to and the oil ran all over the place.

The new ones have the oil filter up on top of the engine and all you have to do is run a section of vinyl tubing down to your oil catch pan. It was my first drip-free oil change ever!

7. Nov 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I also tried sandpaper but still had trouble getting a good reading on the dip stick. What I ended up doing was etching it more with a small round file in a "X" pattern to about an inch above the full mark...so far it's been easier to read. My next step will be taking a electric metal etcher to the dam thing!!:annoyed:

To Top