1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

first season driving my truck in the snow, need some advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco D'Voe, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nov 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

x2 but in my situation, dedicated snows are not an option... the duratracs or other snow rated a/ts, like bfg commercial traction t/as, goodyear silent armors, etc are a great choice

2. Nov 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    i have the duratracs on right now and they are great on snow, not ice.

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    not much IS good on ice...

i had winterforce tires and they were better on ice but ice is tough with any tire...

4. Nov 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    i had michelin x-ices before they were great on ice

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I found the recent snowfall in Vancouver to be particularly slippery too. When we had the big snow in Vancouver 2 years ago, stock BFG Rough Terrains seemed fine. My only knock against them was that they seemed to slide sideways fairly easily. Now I have Toyo Open Country AT's. They feel fairly comparable to the BFG's in the snow.

As others have said- slow down and drive deliberately and smoothly. Remember that any change in direction or speed increases the friction demand on your tires may cause a skid. Be extra cautious in areas where you don't have much clearance if you skid or if other vehicles are close. Remember to give other vehicles a wide berth- most Vancouver drivers don't have dedicated snow tires since the snow usually only lasts a few days. If you skid- don't panic and slam on the brakes- you are better off to steer your way out of it and brake lightly.

Also, remember that the main roads are usually clear, but there can be black ice on the side streets. Just last night, I went around a corner on to my home street and hit a nasty patch of unexpected black ice. I could feel the anti-locks working like crazy and the VSC light was flashing wildly. I was able to keep the truck going straight by correcting with steering and braking gently.

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:03 AM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    Get the stock tires off and put on a nice set of all terrains. Check out Tirerack.com for your best source of info.

I just put on Firestone Destination AT's which are rated tops in snow/ice next to Duratacs.

Put weight in the bed. I like about 200 lbs of sand.

Use low gears to keep your speed in check. Down shift as needed to bleed speed.

7. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    4wd Does NOT help you stop. That is all brakes and tires, unless you have a manual and can downshift for traction. I tell myself this the first few times I drive in snow every year.

Throw some weight in the rear end and get some new tires. I could spin out all damn 4 of my Dunsucks in the snow. What a joke of a tire. Great MPGs though.

Just took my Duratracs for a spin in our first 1" snow. Cant wait for the 3' storms.

Or, put a plow on your truck so you can drop it like an anchor when you slide out!

8. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    Truckn4life

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    And now I see that your truck is a manual. I have always driven a manual truck and being able to downshift for traction when braking has saved my ass a few times. I would go to a semi-steep hill (covered in snow) and try down shifting while you brake. You will find a happy medium when letting out your clutch that will slow you down but not cause you to slide. If you skip to a gear that is too low you will slide a bit and the engine will rev up (of course). Do this a few times and you will start to learn your trucks motor/gearing.

just my 2cents

9. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    Even if you are in an auto, and you shift to a lower gear, 4wd WILL help.

I see the point you are trying to make though. It's like the people who get in an SUV and think they are unstoppable in the snow, just because they're driving an SUV. Truth is, they're not unstoppable, but stopping is hard ;)

10. Dec 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    I'm from Vancouver too.

If you aren't confident in the slushy shit we get, you MUST invest in proper snow tires. That being said...like most have already told you...drive slow. I know it's hard when you have every douche bag in the city who drives a Merc SUV riding your ass...but do it...

If you start sliding don't stomp the brakes...engine brake if you can..otherwise just try to steer out of the slide.

Another wise choice is to stay as far away from Richmond as you can...you can be parked with the engine turned off and you're still gonna have an accident :D

11. Dec 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Anywhere in Vancouver Area is that bad. The worst snow conditions and some of the worst drivers. Have to admit though some of the best drivers I've ever seen also live there. Don't be that bad driver. Get some real tires for those conditions. Take five when you are driving.

12. Dec 5, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Another wise choice is to stay as far away from Richmond as you can...you can be parked with the engine turned off and you're still gonna have an accident :D[/quote]

^^^LoL!!

13. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    Skipod

Skipod Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Daystar Spacer, PC AAL Westin Steps (for the kids) Softopper
    Lots of good advice hear and I will echo:
    1.Put some weight in the back, a couple of bags of sand (100-200 lbs), either buy play sand bagged or cut an inner tube and fill with sand, then zap strap the ends a couple of times, these go right and the wells in the bed and don't shift easy.
    2.Winter tires, I have them on my VW and 4Runner and I am saving for DuraTracs for the Taco
    3. When going down hills in either a manual or auto gently gearing down as well as using the brakes gently in my opinion is better than hammering on the brakes.
    Go to Cypress or Seymour one evening after the lots are empty and practice.
    Just one tip though, if an officer approaches you regarding "stunting" while you are "practicing" your driving skills and offers you a ticket, explain that you are just trying to hone your winter driving skills and believed that a deserted parking lot is a much safer place to do this than a street with cars and children, most good officers will honour that.

14. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender

Great advice, get the VSC going and do some quick turns to see how it will run. And putting weight in the back of the bed helps a bit. And drive SLOWWW.

15. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    cindy

cindy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cindy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sr5
    Hey guys, thanks for your ideas! I've been trying to get accustomed to driving my 2010 manual Tacoma 4wd (with snows) and wondering if there were any tricks to it. Wish everyone else would slow down... thanks again.

16. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Truckn4life

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    Cindy

You have the right idea. Go slow and you will gain confidence and learn the tricks.

work on shifting at low rmp's to avoid spinning your wheels between gears to prepare for shifting on roads with hills and hair pin turns.

trust the traction control b/c IMO it works!

17. Dec 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    putting it in neutral is one of the best things you can do when going down a slippery hill

18. Dec 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    This is an excellent point.
    Gearing does not help you slow down...if anything, it connects your engine to your tires and you're not able to modulate the grip that you have as effectively.
    Tires using brakes/ABS are alot more controllable than tires hooked to your engine.

19. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Whistler_Steve

Whistler_Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Whistler, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Red TRD Offroad
    Icon Ext Travel Coilovers--LR Upper Control Arms--Icon 3 Leaf AAL--OME 182 Rear Shocks--BFG KM/2 285/75/16--Replica TT TRD FJ Wheels
    Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but another really good thing to keep in mind is while going down a hill or on slow corners (under 20-30km/h) it's a good idea to push in the clutch or put the vehicle in neutral to avoid slipping .

I know it sounds counterproductive to use the breaks more and engine less but It stops the wheels from spinning all together works like a charm in deep or slushy snow or when you start to slide ;)

Woops a bunch already said this.......^X4 then :)

20. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    My 2010 is stock also, never had any problems... Sounds to me like you are driving on ice!

Products Discussed in

To Top