1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Snow In The 4x4 DC ... Holy $#%!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IrishPilot, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    All due respect, but you have no idea how I drive or what I know about driving on snow and ice. I know you have the best intentions here, but its coming off condescending.

I would agree with everything minus having different tires. Its been my experience with other vehicles that different tires can really change the game in regards to snow and ice. It wont "fix" anyones driving, but it makes a good driver better if that makes sense. Ive never driven a dedicated winter tire though...never thought the need. I do need some sand though...I think my problem was that light ass end!

3. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Indeed. Vegas roads were CRAZY when we as they got so dirty and coated in the dry weather. I wish I could say you were correct in regards to MN snow being like powder, but unfortunately 75% of the time thats not the case. Today was basically our first slush snow, and it made for some hectic side streets etc. I didnt jump on 4x4 as it really wasnt necessary, but it still made for some crazy driving. I dont mean to give the impression that I was literally all over the place, but after years of front wheel drive sporty cars and a few AWD vehicles I certainly wasnt used to how the truck was going to drive.

I guess the most accurate representation would be to say that it felt very light on its feet considering its a truck lol.

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    Get used to the snow. You'll be locked in until April. :D

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Wow, I apologize if I made it sound as if you don't know how to drive. My intent was to point out the difference between roads in Vegas and the far north. Having lived in Vegas for about 15 years before moving to the Northwest, I remember how slick the roads were when ever we had a change in road conditions such as rain, snow and ice.
    Even worse was the drivers living in Vegas who rarely if ever saw these conditions. I also guess what little I know of Minnesota is that it's dang cold in the winter.
    Enjoy the truck and know that most of us don't know each other so don't get hung up on personal issues. K

6. Dec 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Nah dude your good lol. My note was aimed at Briangp...though I think he had the best intentions. No worries to all...I just think people misread what I was writing.

7. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I tried a snowflake rated all terrain (Goodyear Silent Armor) and though the tires were better than the stock tires, my 2006 DC still seemed a little squirrelly in greasy snow & ultra hardpack on the interstate..plus the ABS would kick in at even the slightest brake pressure while slowing down at stop signs. The truck would just slide.:eek: It just seems over the years of winter driving the snow is not the same, more ice, slush, wet snow that hardpacks into black ice. :notsure:

Now I have a set of 245/75/16 studded Firestone Winterforce tires (recommended by Hoosiertaco :thumbsup:). Best $400 spent. That a couple of sandtubes and life is good for winter. I would recommend these tires if you can run studs in your state.

8. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Now I like the way Simon's Mom thinks. Studs beware. Add some tires with a bit a grip. Stick a bit of weight in the back and hit the gas. No stopping her now. You da Mom.. [​IMG]

9. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    I have goodyear wrangler silent armour as well on my 06 4x4 double cab short bed and traction has been an issue in 2wd already.

I need to get some sandbags desperately!!!

We have had quite a bit of snow already this winter in the rockies and I struggle to get up my road in 2wd at the moment. Would have been stuck twice already in car parks if I didn't have 4x4.

I would love to get dedicated snow tires as they help so much with stopping but don't have the cash at the moment so just driving carefully.

10. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

Just had 4-5 inches of snow tues night. before the streets were even plowed, i had my first chance to test my goodyear wrangler Druatracs. Being from buffalo , we know a thing or two about snow. These tires were amazing, out performing the BFGs i had on my two previous trucks. Good traction in 2wd, outstanding traction in 4wd. These tries are rated a 10 for snow, and i am now a true believer. But they are also a great year round tire. would definitly recommend

11. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    Man I drove my truck for first time in snow this morning and WOW it was fun. I was sliding all over the place when I pressed the GAS lil harder then usual. I enjoyed rear wheel driving. I will post some pic laters

12. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    [​IMG] lovin cut n paste, thanks.

2 different severe weather rated sets I have owned beat easily beat a non rated tire when it comes to packed snow/ice, dont interpret that as meaning a magic trick though. Almost any AT tire will do well in snow that can be packed a bit, its the icey or hardpack that really matter in the winter.

Stack your tricks, air down , sipe if you want , sand/gravel bags, OFFSET on the road into fresher less packed snow.

13. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    Artiz

Artiz This space is in BLANK mode.

Member:
    So, having quite a bit of experience on real winter roads (I don't want to sound like an ass), people who live in the south really, really don't know what it is like driving in snow, on ice, on wet ice, on wet snow, add ice under the wet snow, etc... you may have seen that light surprizing snow, this funny ice, that's nothing.
    Here you can tell by the second you see it the car that isn't wearing winter tires, or just summer tires, it has now became law here, you can't drive around with tires that aren't winter rated, period. It's just too friggin' dangerous, even purpose-built winter tires can't hold.
    It's all about driving, you have to change your driving habits COMPLETELY, not just the tires, because here if you're not careful, you'll simply kill someone, and that is why it became a law here, a crapload of people get killed because of careless driving each winter.

14. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    If you can afford it buy some proper winter tires on some black steel rims. All seasons or AT's lose traction at about 7 deg. C because the rubber is too hard plus there are not nearly enough sipes in the tread. I had a set of BFG AT KO's that were alright in snow but crap on ice. Now I'm running Michelin AT2's. Waaaayyy better tire in snow and ice but still not a true winter tire.

15. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I'm hoping the law makes it down here to Oregon, at least in the snow zones. Too many hacks in a crossover or an awd with who think they dont need chains or the right tires. Tirerack had a link to the Canadian law if I recall.

16. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    I agree that the Tacoma isn't that great in the snow. But it still does fairly well I think. We had over 30 inches of snow in October (more than our average yearly snowfall total). One snow was a really wet 18 inches. I was excited to see how the Tacoma would do with the limited slip my Sport has. My tires are Dunlop's with about 5,000 miles on them. I was a little disappointed after I stopped to help dig a guy out stuck in the middle of the road and then I got stuck. This is my first small pickup (one of many 4x4's) so I am chaulking it up to less weight = less traction. I will be making some sandbags very soon.

17. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    I'm strong in my conviction that the brand and model of truck you buy is nearly irellevent when snow/ice driving, its more the driver and tires. I used to go skiing from an 83 impala, even went to Banff in it and the Canadians didnt plow at night on that hiway, back in 1988 if I recall.

(edit)... on trucks, a longer wheelbase will be more forgiving entering a fishtail,less pwerfull engine means less chance to power out of traction .

Products Discussed in

To Top