1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Steps towards a lift/suspension upgrade

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dougmays, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    dougmays

dougmays [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Tacoma 4WD/Tow Pkg Black
    Westin Bull Bar, Firestone Destination AT 255/70/16
    I posted this previously but it got merged into another post, and inturn my question was never really responded to...so i apologize for posting again.

so i've asked alot of questions and received some very good answers about what all i would need to lift my truck. But right now i dont think i'm financially ready to go all the way. So here is my question...if i did this in 2 steps....and just upgraded the suspension now, would the below setup be a good way to go about it.

So if i got billys all the way around and the toytec aal's. would this be a good "first step"...and be good stepping stone to getting the 3" lift?

is this a good setup for just the suspension? would i need anything else? would i get a little increased lift with the billys?

thanks

2. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    It depends on the 3" lift you want. If you want to get the ome coils to do the lift then the bilstein shocks arent the best choice. the OME shocks are designed to work just for the ome coils. I was kind of in the same boat your in. I was just going to half way do it now then the rest later. Then after listenin to some veterans on here I decided the smartest thing to do would be keep setting money aside and when the time comes, go ahead and get everything done at once, with quality parts.

Bilstein 5100's seems to be very popular and great quality. They are just not going to give the best performance with ome coils. Now if you wanted spacers or some other lift kit, I'm not sure what to tell you. Someone with that set-up will be along shortly to help you out im sure. Good luck with everything

3. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    dougmays

dougmays [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Tacoma 4WD/Tow Pkg Black
    Westin Bull Bar, Firestone Destination AT 255/70/16
    ah ok...what you said makes sense, i didnt know that you cant do the billy's with the OME coils. i was eventually planning on getting the Toytec coils.

so i guess i should just wait

4. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    cbcs1987

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    You can put ome coils on bilsteins...they just dont ride as good as the OME shocks with with ome coils. By toytec coils are you talkin about the 884,885,or 886...or are you talking about coilovers? If you wanted to get toytec coilovers, they have a set that are specially designed for the bilstein 5100 shocks. You can adjust the lift up to 3.5". Check them out here http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pa...ategory_id=64&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

5. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    johnny12345

johnny12345 Well-Known Member

Member:
    vancouver island, canada
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5
    The 5100's achiecve lift the same way spacers achieve lift, by compressing the spring. It will give you lift, 2.5 inches I think maybe 2.75 but keep in mind that you are compressing the spring and if left long term it can wreck your front end, also your truck may ride similar to a wheelbarrow. Some people say the ride is great but I dunno...

You could upgrade down the road to the toytec coil over conversion kit in which you turn your billy's into coil overs, but this will end up costing you more money than if you bought the coil overs in the first place.

I say save your money and wait. IMO, besides Coil overs or the OME kit your kinda wasting your money and not getting a qaulity lift.

6. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    U can do bilstein 5100 shocks with OME coils, the OME shocks just perform better..A lot of people are running billys with the OME coils and love the ride, including myself

7. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    cbcs1987

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Thats how I feel about it also. I was just going to get the 885 coils and 2" aal from toyec and use stock shocks. Then I decided to get the same kit and just get billy 5100s. Now I finally decided to just wait and get the ome shocks with it so I can have a quality lift(not to say the billys aren't quality, because i dont know since ive never ran them) where all the componets are designed to work together.

8. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I am running 885's with 5100's. A litter stiffer of a ride but I like it!;)

To Top