1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Taco and a few questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by phdog, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    phdog

phdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    w/Super Terrific Happy Hour Mod
    I just got my first taco (truck that is) and my first truck since a 2wd Nissan in high school many moons ago. In fact, I think it was a Datsun and looked something like this.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I should mention that I'm not into serious off roading. I got the truck because I wanted something more practical than my outback for getting to places for camping, fishing, and other outdoor activity and also for hauling yard waste and such. Since I also use it for commuting I'm hoping I don't regret not having a subaru during Colorado winters (well, the wife now has my outback so it's still in the family). I also looked at the Chevy Colorado and in some ways thought it might be the better commuter but just couldn't get excited about a Chevy.

My main question concerns nerf bars. I'd like to get something that will suffice for easing entry/exit and with all the choices I just don't know where to start. After some research I'm thinking 4" or 5" oval like these might be good. I like the higher weight rating and 3 brackets of the Raptor. However, being a total noob here I have no idea if these are good, total crap or awesome. Also, is stainless vs black mostly aesthetics or is there a good reason for one over the other? Is 4" good enough to be practical or go 5"? Will these help prevent car doors from denting my truck? Seems like they would stick out enough to offer some parking lot protection. Dealer wants to sell me some body side molding but if a nerf bar helps then I'll save my money.

Anyone have experience with the stock tires in snow? In particular, I'm hoping they will be good enough for occasional snowy/icy roads when commuting. Or would a set of true snow tires be a significant improvement? Any suggestions?

Thanks and obligatory pic

[​IMG]

2. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    You could always get a set of bolt on sliders instead of nerf bars.

3. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    phdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Those seem quite a bit more expensive (at least the few I looked at) and hard to tell if they offer any useful footing for entry/exit. I suspect with rain or snow they'll be pretty slick. Since off roading isn't a primary concern, would sliders still be better than nerf bars for general use?

4. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    Mountain Minstrel

Mountain Minstrel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB MT INFERNO
    I'll second getting bolt on sliders as I have seen many pics of crushed steps on here that the owners never thought they would take off road. You can do what I did and have them made at 0 degrees so that they make a better step but still give you protection for that one road that you otherwise may have wished you had never taken.

shakerhood likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    Sliders are nice like they mentioned above. But they will not provide you with "easy entry and exit". They are 100% for off-roading protection. While I despise nerfs/Nfab's/etc... they might be the best bet for you. They will "prevent car door dings in parking lots" while still providing a nice step. Just don't count on any structural support and protection.

6. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    phdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    I see the benefit of sliders - even for the occasional off road adventure. But my own ass and back are worth more to me. Slipping off and falling seems much more likely than ramming boulders and a truck body is cheaper to fix than my own.

Is there any way to mod a slider to be a safe step as well? Such as wrapping it with some sort of heavy duty rubber? Do they even stick out enough to step on?

7. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    sagexp

sagexp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Back home, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC 4X4 2017 Tacoma DC 4X4
    I had that truck, but in orange. 73 Datsun pickup. First vehicle. Had a lot of fun in that little pickup! Fond memories! I got that little truck places a couple times (with chains) that the old man couldn't get to in his 79 4x4 blazer to get me out.

One stupid stunt: off roading in snow. Got too far back in some pretty deep fresh snow up in Flagstaff. And got stuck. A side road that followed the train tracks. Up on the road above the tracks. Dad couldn't get to me. Had to walk out. Thought I'd have to leave it until spring.

Went to town and rented a big old come-a-long and a bunch of rope and chain.

After hours of work, got that thing to move a little. Enough to get it pointed down hill towards the cleared train tracks before I became stuck again. You see where this is going (think dumb 17 year old). I thought "what the hell, why not!".

Listened for trane coming, peered down tracks as far as I could see, jumped in, gassed it down the hill, onto the tracks, took a left towards town, and was able to get off about 1/2 mile later.

That was the longest 1/2 mile drive of my life, and pretty sure the dumbest assed thing I've ever done! Well, maybe not....but it's up there!

Sorry for detour. Hadn't thought of that in years until I saw the pic of your Datsun.

8. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    Milc

Milc Hella Fun

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 White DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    Can slap some skateboard tape on it or spray it with some bed liner.

9. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    the issue you will have with (most) sliders is they do not protrude out far enough to get a good step. Even with rubber/grip tape/etc, you will only be able to get half your foot on it.

10. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    Mountain Minstrel

Member:
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB MT INFERNO
    May I suggest doing a little reading before you make up your mind.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rock-slider-quest.489980/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/sliders-with-and-without-filler-plates-for-steps.475281/

shakerhood likes this.
  11. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    Mountain Minstrel

Member:
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB MT INFERNO
    That is assuming a 20 degree slider. Mobtown's are 2" lower if they are 0 degrees and provide plenty of space for your foot. Check out the quote below.

upload_2017-6-27_15-22-55.jpg

12. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    that's why I said most. 95% i have seen have some type of angle up. But the flat is definitely better for a step

13. Jun 27, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    TejasTaco

TejasTaco Grab a taco

Member:
    I drove a Datsun like that in college for the bar I worked at. Used to go pickup liquor in Ausin in it.

I have the following Lund 5" nerf bars on my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COYZG4U

IMG_0332.jpg IMG_0333.jpg IMG_0330.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Migillicutty likes this.
  14. Jun 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    phdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Thanks. I see the benefit of sliders but just not practical for my needs. Thanks for the link to the Lund. Those look like a possible option. I'd still be interested to know more about the Raptor bars I linked.

15. Jun 27, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    TejasTaco

TejasTaco Grab a taco

Member:
    Black bars are gonna match up with your truck better in my opinion.

16. Jun 28, 2017 at 3:30 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    I have sliders with fill plates.... they are not as useful as steps because they are higher than steps. You can use them, but they aren't as practical. The upshot is that they won't damage the body if you hit something like with steps. Plus you have better ground clearance.

shakerhood likes this.
  17. Jun 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    phdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Well, I thoroughly undecided. Sliders with some step functionality might be the way to go. I'm tall so don't care too much about height, but sliding out of the truck seems like overtime will wear out the seats.

Can anyone recommend cheaper sliders that don't have plates and don't angle up? Everything I find is well over $500.

18. Jun 28, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    vondy

vondy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    The predator steps have a nice grippy step and look nice. I have them mostly for my kids and wife. I'm 5'8" and don't use them though, it's easier for me to just step into the truck.

Might could find some on Craigslist for cheaper than dealer.

19. Jun 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    They aren't sliders, and are primarily for me to access my gear on my roof rack easily, provide a step to get into the truck, and prevent door dings. They also do seem to catch a lot of rocks / debris from the road/mud that would otherwise get thrown onto the sides of the truck which is a plus. I've been very pleased and for $230 they have been one of the best value things I've bought for the truck...

https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-T...------------3-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2017:toyota:tacoma

IMG_0590.JPG.jpg IMG_0592.JPG.jpg

ancient11 likes this.
  20. Jun 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    phdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    I like the price and they look nice. Seem functional too. Are they slick when wet or still somewhat grippy? Do you know if they'll work with factory mud guards? I'm seeing notes on many that they don't.

Products Discussed in

To Top