1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Tacoma buyer, what r some things 2 look for?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kmac1036, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Well if you can afford it go ahead but there are alot of used trucks that are out there that you could have for 400 per month. I wish I bought mine used. I would have saved a ton of money vs. buying new. Bc once your temp tag is expired its just another used car.

2. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    kmac1036

kmac1036 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    We have been burned soo bad on used cars in the family... there have been issues with just about everything bought used. buying used = getting someone's problems. none were toyotas tho, but I worry how people actually take care of them.

wife's parents bought a '01 taurus new. they finally traded it in for a camry & haven't looked back.

the certified inventory is nill in this area, I could do one of those IF I could find one!!!

We're were worried that we would be burried with payments on things. already have 1 new car, student loans & 2 kids. She is still part time after having the baby. we'll be making extra payments on in '10 to get rid of the school loans. We've only been out since '05-'06.

3. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    That is understandable about not wanting to buy used when you have had problems in the past. If you can afford the 600 per month payment go for it. I woulde try and find a 2009 or wait till the end of next summer when the 2010 start to get cheaper. My truck was the last 2006 on the lot. Just as a reference for you I purchased it in November of 06 for 26900. I wont have never been able to get that kind of deal on a Tacoma sooner in the year.

4. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    for something that holds its resale value like the tacoma, it may actually make more sense to buy new. when I was searching for used, they always list for above bluebook, at least for the good decent ones that I liked. theres always the beat up ones that go cheap.

5. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    kmac1036

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    yeah, it's a balance / compromise. there are a couple '09s the dealers have listed in their "virtual pool" inventory. this being Dec, I might be able to give them hell on it... maybe.

but thanks for the reference, offers some leverage ;)

6. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I got my 07' DC sport 4x4 in july of 07' for $30,400. I wanted the payments under $500 so I did like a 7 year loan (I know not the smartest decision) but a longer loan might be worth looking in to.

7. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    kmac1036

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    the way it was setup with our loan earlier this year with the camry is that doing a longer term loan could be smart, if you have great credit (which we do, thus lower interest rate) & you can put extra money on every month, you actually pay off faster than a 3yr loan & it's cheaper (less overall in interest)...

unless we were just totally duped :rolleyes:

8. Dec 18, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    kmac1036

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    Thanks for checking.

I went to one of the lots & looked at the acc cab to verify my suspicion & your recs...

Dcab is a must for sure. The ones they have now are all 4wd tho. there is an '09 floating around since april 08 (both dealers I talk to has it listed as "available" in their stock). It doesn't seem like they are coming down much on it yet tho. the salesman guessed it may have been a service loaner or was a parts runner.

9. Dec 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    kmac1036

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    one more question...

is the extended warranty worth the money? looks like some here in the forums have had serious issues, covered & uncovered by warranty.

10. Dec 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    dude,go with the dc.

11. Dec 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    808Raider

808Raider Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawai'i
    Im in the same boat as you, paranoid about used cars and I just bought the exact truck you were looking for last month (at least at the beginning of the thread;)); 2010 access cab 4cyl 5spd manual. I love it so far and have no complaints about the power or acceleration or anything like that but if I were you i would go with the double cab. Im 22 don't have a family now or wont anytime soon so the access cab is perfect for me but if you are going to have this truck 10, 15, 20 years down the road the access cab wont be big enough for your family and kids. imagine when they are teenagers! not a very fun time on road trips:eek:

12. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    Slotback

Slotback Triple Option

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    Double cab for the kids. My first kid is en route, and I needed to be prepared, so 4 doors was a must while looking for a vehicle.

13. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
    X2

14. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
  15. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    On a Tacoma, I'd say the extended warranty is a waste of money. It's basically buying insurance that's not mandatory, and the cost of the warranty is calculated to exceed the average amount they'd expect to have to pay out on it (they are in business to make money, after all). My first Tacoma lasted me 7 years and 100k miles before I sold it to trade up, and it ran like the day I bought it when I sold it with only scheduled maintainence, a bumper replacement after a minor accident and one warranty repair when the ratchet in one of the seat belts went out about a year in.

I'd also agree with others here that you probably shouldn't worry about buying a used Toyota the way you would on a used Buick. I've owned 1 GM in my life, and based on my experiece with that car I intend to die with that number still at 1.

Finanacially, it may not make much difference to go used vs new becuase of how well these trucks hold value unless you're willing to buy one that's out of warranty (personally I wouldn't worry about that, but opinions will vary on that), but Toyotas have been well known for years for making it to 200k+ without much more than replacement of wear-and-tear parts like brake linings, shocks and clutch plates.

I know I'm late to the party on this bit, but I would also reccomend the double cab if you're planning to keep the truck for years. It's possible to mount car seats in the back of the access cab, but in 5 years that cab will be awfully cramped for your family. Both my Tacomas have been extended/access cabs, but I think of them as 2-seaters with some enclosed cargo room which could seat 3-4 in a pinch but not as a plan.

Hope you find something that works for you, and I'm sure if it's a Toyota you'll be happy with it (as a vehicle, if not as a budget item).

16. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    NO...waste of money.

17. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    kmac1036

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Iowa
    well, I did buy a new truck over the holidays, but wasn't the one I was planning on...

I wanted to thank everyone here for their help tho.

But I had an awful time dealing with the toyota dealers here in the area :(

Wasn't treated very well at all. there was little to no help to find a truck I could afford. there was an 09 I wanted that I KNOW WAS on inventory, but then wanted to play dumb & then didn't want to deal on it, only wanted to sell a couple grand under sticker.

the salespersons at both places were NOT helpful & were pretty arrogant about it.

I wound up going back to Ford, got a 2010 F150 instead.

My final decision wasn't based on you guys! I will def consider toyota in the future (we like our camry) & if the dealers get their act together... I'll reconsider if the F150 doesn't work out.

18. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

sorry to hear the dealers in your area had their heads up their asses.

19. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    If you are every gonna get off a road get a 4X4

Products Discussed in

To Top