1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Time ATF Fill Experience after mistakenly draining out during oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JUJtacoma2010, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    JUJtacoma2010

JUJtacoma2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 Dbl Cab. OFF Road Package
    well I did this today. I must say that the instructions given by Fortech is spectular. It looks complicated but its not.
    weird thing was that when I first opened the overflow plug, a 1/4 quart of fluid came out. now that confused me a lot because my truck should be lacking fluid and I wondered why it was coming out of the overflow. but regardless, I pumped in 1/2 quarts of fluid and did the AT Temp thing. while the engine still running, I opened the overflow and nothing came out. so I stoped the engine and filled some more. 1 quart in total went in. I did the same thing and nothing came out of the overflow. I felt stupid because I just bought 1 quarts of atf from dealer today. I should have bought 2. so I need to go back tomorrow and get another quarts.

Interesting thing happened that I need guidance on and that is I didnt have to wait more than 20 seconds to see the AT Temp light iluminate. As I shifted from N to D 6 times and back to P, the AT Temp light was on already never went off. It was iluminating all the time. Is this normal?

The toughest thing in the whole process was driving around and finding a 24mm.

thanks guys again.

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    JUJtacoma2010

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    I also forgot to ask about this one metal ring that I dont know where it fell from. does any one know. I just openend the overflow and the fill plugs and not sure where this ring belongs to
    Please see attachement.

img1.jpg
    img2.jpg
    img3.jpg

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    looks like a crush gasket for the overflow or fill plugs

4. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    it is indeed a crush washer (gasket). It should be replaced. I never (rarely) do, but it should be.
    It was on whatever plug you removed below the fluid line.

5. Oct 12, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Even with the correct volume of fluid in the pan you will get some draining from the overflow if the engine isn't idling - I guess because the excess in the pan isn't circulating in the system?

I tried this once before. Verified the correct level with the engine idling and put the overflow plug back in after it stopped draining. Turned off the truck and opened the overflow, more fluid came out.

As for your need for more fluid than what drained out, my ATF was about a 1/2 quart low from the factory. Others have witnessed this also. Could be an explanation?

As for the temp light illuminated, it takes a VERY long time for ATF to cool - and not very long for it to absorb heat. Was your ATF completely cold when you started the process? I once drained and refilled and had to wait for nearly an hour for it to cool to the point where the light wasn't flashing (too hot).

Thanks for the compliments also - glad the procedure helped!:)

I aslo think the procedure has been blown out of proportion with regard to how difficult some perceive it to be. When I used to drain/fill my previous gen Tacoma I was always doubting the correct volume as there was a cold level and a hot level. Found myself checking the stick for a day or so after performing the service - always nervous the amount wasn't correct. At least now when the light illuminates and the overflow slows to a trickle, I know the correct level is in the pan when I put the plug back in.

6. Oct 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    JUJtacoma2010

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Fortech,
    Yes, My truck was completely cool when I started working on it. I didnt drive it at all since the mishap.
    I live in central valley CA and it was around 85 here yesterday. could that be a reason why it took seconds to reach the correct temp and for the At temp light to iluminate?

thanks again dude.

7. Oct 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Could be quite possible but I would still suspect it would need a little "warming" time to reach the temp to illuminate the light.

If you want to verify, try again and time it to see how long it takes until the light flashes (too hot). That may allow you to better gauge the operation of the light.

8. Oct 13, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    JUJtacoma2010

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Fortech,
    I finally finished the job. this time it took 3 minutes for the At Temp to iluminate. Should I be concerned about this. 3 minutes is short. I am happy about everything I have done except for this 3 minutes.

9. Oct 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    With the ambient air temp you described it is quite possible it wouldn't take too long as the light will illuminate at 115* F. Did you let it "Warm" to the point that the light began flashing? How long did that take?

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much. The few times since my write up that I have performed this service it really didn't take long at all for the fluid to reach the correct level. Certainly much less than the 14 mins I described in my DIY.

Products Discussed in

To Top