1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time long distance towing- how dumb would this be?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Eagle200, May 29, 2023.

1. May 29, 2023 at 12:23 PM
    Eagle200

Eagle200 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off-Road
    Hello, I am looking for feedback on my idea to rent a camper for a cross country trip. I have very limited towing experience (as in I have towed a 5x8 utility trailer a few times and did not require me to back up at all).

I have a 2020 3rd gen tacoma and am considering renting a 15ft trailer that weighs 2700 lbs. I would pick it up halfway through my cross country trip and then drive an additional 12 hours with it. Basically this would mean no time practicing backing up or driving it before I start towing. I would be in somewhat of a hurry, learn the basics of the camper and then start driving. My destination is a private residence so I am not worried about backing up there. My hope is that gas station stops through north dakota and montana would not be crowded nor require me to back up.

-Does this sound like a really bad idea? My other option is to just tent camp
    -Am i correct in understanding my tacoma should easily handle towing 2700lbs gross weight?

Thank you

2. May 29, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    wrightme43

wrightme43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Scottsville Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    17 Double Cab M/T TRD Offroad Blazing Blue Pearl
    Redline custom leather shift and e-brake boot. VFTUNE Super Full Otto cycle, octane learning, premium fuel.
    Well the only way to get experience is to do something. You can watch some youtube videos, think before you sleep, and allow your subconscious mind time to process the idea, which all will help, but not be a substitute for actual experience.

I would do it, but I am not you. I learned to back trailers working on tractor trailers, then small trailers delivering small excavators and skid steers.

Main thing is set mirrors properly, stay relaxed, and be deliberate.

Hope it helps.

Now since this is tacomaworld I expect someone will call you names, and discourage you. I generally ignore them. The best feature of this site is the ignore button.

ShinyTaco and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. May 29, 2023 at 12:30 PM
    Eagle200

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off-Road
    thank you

4. May 29, 2023 at 12:31 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Should be fine. Leave more time for stopping and starting, and be patient. Stick to truck stops and you’ll have all kinds of room for sure, although mooost gas stations are pretty ok.

5. May 29, 2023 at 12:31 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Go for it. Spend 30 minutes after you pick up the trailer in an empty parking lot figuring out how to back up and you'll be fine.

6. May 29, 2023 at 8:25 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    This doesn’t make sense. Need some more information. Why, what is the purpose of picking up a travel trailer half way through your trip and then driving it to someone’s residence???
    Secondly, what ever the purpose it is a dumb and dangerous idea to drive a long distance towing that trailer with no experience towing. There’s a lot more to towing than being able to properly back a Trailer up. You jumping in your truck and towing a travel trailer a long distance with zero knowledge and no experience is not only a danger to you and any passengers but also to others you share the highway with. There are so many problems here that I don’t know where to start. I’m just glad I won’t be anywhere near N Dakota or Montana while you are towing.

7. May 29, 2023 at 8:50 PM
    C-Rok275

C-Rok275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    I’m experienced with towing, but I did drive cross country (TX to CA) in the biggest U-haul truck pulling a car hauler without ever having to back up. It can be done, just plan your stops and take your time. I had to pass a couple of gas stations with limited access or tight parking lots.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  8. May 29, 2023 at 8:55 PM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    Plan your exit strategy before you park. Most of the gas stations on the interstate out west are pretty wide open. When you get gas park at the furthest forward pump so you can’t get blocked in. I’m not great at backing up a trailer/camper myself but it’s not rocket science either, so in a jam you can probably either wait it out or figure it out. Worst comes to worst you can revoke your man card and ask some other dude towing a big ass camper to help you out.:rofl:

9. May 30, 2023 at 2:22 AM
    BadDogMax

BadDogMax Well-Known Member

Member:
    IdahoLand
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    I did something similar and it was fine. Had to ask for volunteer spotters at a few back-in camp sites. Folks are happy to help.

The trailer had a wireless backup camera though. Here is a portable magnetic mount cam you could have with you just in case. I have not tried it myself:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Camera/Rampage/RA7710.html

10. May 30, 2023 at 7:38 PM
    rybern

rybern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    N Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR & 2000 SR5
    5100's & 3AAL, 265/70r17 Toyo AT3
    Some great advise has been given but heres two more things to be aware of:

Black tank:

If you plan use the black tank(toilet) in the trailer then you need to learn about it and make sure you have decent sewer hose and connections. Grey tank is sinks/shower and should also go into the proper dump station or full hook up, but not a huge deal if you have to let some grey water out on ground when no ones looking(dump station not available). :gossip:

Tongue weight:
    Also need to consider that it will likely be ideal to have a weight distribution hitch to compensate for the tongue weight of the camper. If you have a good bit of tongue weight and don't have a WDH then the rear of the truck drops which raises the front end. This can make the truck feel a little "squirrely" (especially with some wind). My camper is listed as 3100 lbs dry weight and there's no way I'd want to pull it without a properly set up WDH.... preferably one with sway control. It can be done but not ideal IMO.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  11. May 31, 2023 at 9:13 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    As long as you have the proper equipment (brake controller, hitch set the the proper height, etc.) I say go for it. I'll stay out of quoting individual members of this thread and everything I agree and disagree with what is being said and just share with you my experience. Background: I had limited experience towing long distance and had never towed with my Tacoma although I have towed trailers short distances and have backed them up and parked them (mostly equipment rentals like a stump grinder, etc.). I would say yours and my situations are similar before I began towing full time for a year.
    • I had no long distance towing experience before picking up my 3500# (gross) XOC - I had no issues, like anything there is a learning curve
    • I had never towed with my Tacoma before picking up the XOC - I had no issues, I monitor transmission temps with a scan.gauge.2 and keep it in S4 most of the time since I have stock gears and a stock tune
    • Highway driving is less stressful to me unless it is grid lock or I am driving through a major city -- just be ready to floor it on on-ramps so you can get up to speed and merge with semis doing 70-80 MPH
    • Plan ahead and be constantly monitoring your outs whilst driving -- you'll be fine
    • If you are renting a single axle trailer just be aware that they take VERY LITTLE driver input to move one way or another so just make small adjustments when backing up and constantly be watching. If you have experience with tandem axle trailers you will see that single axles are much more twitchy.
    My $.02 is that you should go for it, but set yourself up for success. I picked my trailer up in Denver then drove through the mountains in the snow to my friend's place and camped in his driveway for the weekend to learn about all the systems in the trailer. You'll be fine, just drive like an old woman at night time until you get the confidence up. Allocate 20 or 30 minutes to drive around locally with the trailer to get comfortable then grip it and rip it. Be sure you have the proper equipment to tow safely as well.

IMG_4363.jpg

12. May 31, 2023 at 9:28 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    I don’t think the OP is much interested in our reply’s. He hasn’t checked back into this thread since Monday at 12:30am 20 minutes after his original post.

Rock Lobster likes this.
  13. May 31, 2023 at 1:04 PM
    wrightme43

wrightme43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Scottsville Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    17 Double Cab M/T TRD Offroad Blazing Blue Pearl
    Redline custom leather shift and e-brake boot. VFTUNE Super Full Otto cycle, octane learning, premium fuel.
    Abducted by aliens? Happens all the time.

14. May 31, 2023 at 5:54 PM
    Eagle200

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off-Road
    Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it.

To answer one of the questions, I am staying at a ranch so my options are tent camping or camper.

15. Jun 1, 2023 at 8:42 AM
    Cushmaat

Cushmaat Well-known wiseass.

Member:
    SE AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB MGM
    download (3).jpg

16. Jun 1, 2023 at 8:50 AM
    Cushmaat

Cushmaat Well-known wiseass.

Member:
    SE AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB MGM
    On a serious note...you need experiences to have experience.

Best trick to backing up a trailer: put your hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel. The trailer goes the same direction as your hand. For instance, if you want the trailer to move towards the driver's side, you would turn the wheel clockwise (6 o'clock position moved towards 7 o'clock position).

Usually a little input goes a long ways. Watch your front corners for clearance too.

17. Jun 1, 2023 at 9:02 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    To add to what's been said:

Drive SLOW! 65 MPH is the recommended top towing speed. You, and your Taco will be happier if you keep the speed down.

Assuming you have a V6 and 6 speed auto, keep it in S4 or S5. Otherwise, you'll be downshifting nonstop.

Take your time, leave extra room in front of you, and enjoy the drive!

ShinyTaco and Cushmaat like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top