1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First timer needs answers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rickyticky, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    rickyticky

rickyticky [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Palm Bay
    Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a 1997 toyota tacoma. It has the 2.7l 4 cyl.
    my questions are what should be major thing to look for? what breaks? trouble spots? the motor has 212,000 miles. clean outside and in. has new ac, and radiator. i need it as a dd. he is asking 3400.

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Main thing to check would be to check the frame for rust. There's been a frame rust campaign in progress for some time now.

3. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    DellGSG5

DellGSG5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dell
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner TRD
    Step rail, Grill guard, bug deflector,bed lights, Window Deflectors.
    Look under for oil or tranny leak

4. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    rickyticky

rickyticky [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Palm Bay
    I didnt seem to notice any big rust issues. Nor did i notice any kinds of leaks. It was a quick look though. I was more curious as to how the rear end, 5spd, head, piston rings and the overall motor and such last. I mean it has 212,000. thats alot of miles. im just kinda nervous about it

5. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Haha that thing is just getting broken in. I would just look at it and if you can tell if has been treated good ( mud isnt caked underneath it, oil looks clean) And that the whole truck looks clean and doesn't look like it has been ragged out then you should be fine.
    I used to have a 93 4x4 v-6 bought it from my uncle with 230K on the clock and he used it with his oil field company so it had seen tons of dirt roads but never had any major problems with it except small things like tie rods and u-joints just simple things. So thats just my $.02 worth

GOOD LUCK!

6. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    rickyticky

rickyticky [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Palm Bay
    thanks for the info guys. I think it was all highway miles. the interior is too clean for a mud truck. the paint is too nice for squeezing through trails.

but just in case are the 2.7 easy to rebuild? to get the oil pan off do i have to pull the motor? because i saw a bottom end rebuild kit for like $300.(just in case) oil pump, pistons, rings, bearings, the works

7. Oct 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    That is a few miles but we all know Toyota's rep for quality in the high mileage area, but it comes down to care & maintenance, the price is too high in my opinion, depending where you live check Craigs list or auto trader & do some comparisons I'm sure if you take a little time you can get a better truck (less mileage,more options) a better deal etc; I've attached a pic or 2 from craigslist here in San Diego... good luck...:cool:

P.S. the one pictured is a 95' I think, anyway it was listed at $4200.00 w/ 132K miles, a/c,ex cab, 4x4 . just an example, the deals are out there if you seek them out

3n13kb3p55T75Sb5Re9a7a3bce40ceca11136.jpg
    3m33pe3l55O65T25P49a71d527fb289991d6c.jpg

8. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    dude... bought mine this last summer with 193,XXX and have 202,XXX now. That 2.7L will run forever as long as it has been taken care of and you continue it. Always check the front end out for loose tie rods, drag link, etc. Other than that...?

9. Oct 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    rickyticky

rickyticky [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Palm Bay
    thanks guys.
    I went today and took a little bit of a better look. no rust really anywhere.
    the motor has no leaks it seems.

although there is some old grunge around the pan, and a little farther back(from wind blowing it back) its all and dried up though. nothing new.

He said I could take it home and degrease it, compression test, and drive it around to see if a leak does pop up(also if a check engine light comes on)

Products Discussed in

To Top