1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First towing experience

Discussion in 'Towing' started by BeachBoy, May 17, 2010.

1. May 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    Well, first time with the Tacoma and a huge trailer. I've already towed before;)

22' Haulmark slope nose, 3000# empty.

[​IMG]

Did 650 miles to bring it back home.

I was getting 17-20 mpg going there (truck only) and 10-13 mpg with the trailer.

With the trailer I was driving quite fast (65mph average) and there was a lot of hills driving through Idaho and Montana. I'm pretty sure I could get way better mileage at around 55mph and on flat.

The truck handled fine, with the brakes and load balancing it was really good. up hills was down around 45mph, down hills around 75mph. Could hit overdrive on flat but I think gas mileage was worse on overdrive than keeping it in 4th (less rpm but more power required in D.)

I am driving that trailer across the country (3000 miles+) mid June, this time loaded. We'll see how ti goes.

2. May 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Thanks for the report.

You know its back there with these trucks. I've found it helps to put some weight in the bed if you can to keep the trailer honest.

3. May 17, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    Sounds like you had a good trip. Welcome From Montana If you went up I-15 you were within a stones throw from my place.

4. May 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I went around by West Yellowstone, I think it was faltter than going !-15 all the way from Idaho Falls. Then got into !-15 to great falls.

The pass where it's all rocks is awesome, incredible views up there (a little before Great Falls)

To Top