1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fish and Game Wardens

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by sammy87, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Anyone have any insight into the hiring process? Typical requirements ect....Im looking for a career change and always thought this would be interesting. Just dont know much about it.

Thanks!

2. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
  3. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I don't have any advice for you, but that would be a cool profession! :cool:

4. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
  5. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    OP what kind of education do you have/ previous work exp?

6. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    big sky

big sky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    It varies by state, but most require a BS in Wildlife or closely related degree. Some states will consider other degrees in combination with experience. Obviously prior law enforcement would be a big plus.

In Montana one of the best ways to break-in is through our Trainee program- it's a competitive selection amongst Juniors (in state college) and if your selected you work (w/ pay :)) during the summer between your Jr and Sr year and then on weekends and holidays during your Sr year. If you have what it takes, then your usually hired full time right out of college.

BTW we currently are running a general hire as we speak (close 3/30) :D

https://svc.mt.gov/statejobsearch/listingdetails.aspx?id=7115

7. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I'm a poli sci major which isn't really related, but former USAF officer I thought might help. Most recent work exp is project manager for construction. I always thought this would be a cool line of LEO to be involved with. I've heard of guys that can only get PT positions with local forces that have criminal justice backgrounds so I didnt know if this was something even more difficult. At this point I just really want to learn more and what you need to get in.

Thanks!

8. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Always thought this would be bad ass.

9. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ^ military experience will definitely help, you'd probably have to pursue a different path with your education (at a minimum a minor in something in the biology field)

10. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    What I would do is get your associates in Natural Resource conservation. Its tough getting a job as a warden. My dad almost did it several times and he said that the market was always tough. The most bad ass part imo is that you can take more from anyone person then any other law enforcement officer can. Secondly you could always start off working something more basic such as at a fish hatchery for exp too.

11. Mar 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    A hatchery job and a Warden's job are hardly related at all. I've worked with and for Fish and Wildlife agencies as a biologist. Many Wardens are friendly and will support your work. Some will even let people know about what you are doing in the area and why, say, you can net fish or bats and they can't. However, they are first and foremost LEOs and a few are rule-fanatics and treat biologists and even the state's F&W personnel no different than the everyday public.

I had a game warden once tell me that he was damned if I was going to do any research in his territory, even though I was working under both state and federal permits with specific permission to be in the area. When I called the state they said that it was the warden's call. Fortunately he was the only "bad" one I ran across, most were great to work with.

Though a Warden enforces game and fish regulations, he is an LEO and not a parks and rec person or a biologist. If you want to be a Warden in some states, experience in another type of fish and game job might not be that relevant. In some states, including one where I worked in a fish hatchery, the game wardens are a division of the State Police and are not under the Department of Fish and Wildlife at all. Sometimes this causes conflict and, IMO, it's better if they are part of the F&W agency itself.

In the state where I now live the Wardens are under F&W but the job is so difficult to get into that the two that we had locally were a father and then his son, who essentially "inherited" the job.

Here is one state's requirements for a warden's job. If you look at most police agencies' requirements they are more-or-less the same. Here you also are required to have a Bachelor's degree too. A double major in Admin of Justice and Wildlife Conservation would be a good if you wanted to get a job as a game warden.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/career_opportunities/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URG-LS5C-Qc

There is also the summer job route. Several of my college cohorts and students got summer jobs as park rangers, firefighters, trail workers etc., which got them on the inside track with an agency. Many schools also will have on-the-job internships as part of their programs, the one I taught at did and all of our Natural Resources program graduates spent at least a quarter working in a field internship prior to graduation.

12. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Hmm I always get discouraged when I read about how college degrees are required for the jobs I want to apply for. I just sent my app in for FWC yesterday. I have a BAS in business but I do not think it will help me too much in the application process. I really can't justify returning to school either.

13. Apr 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Stop staring at me swan!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Western NC
    Just out of curiosity, what would a new fish and game warden's starting salary be?

14. Apr 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Stop staring at me swan!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Western NC
    Hmm not bad. Thanks for the info.

15. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    You would be surprised. I have a BSF(B.S. Forestry). Any degree is helpful.

16. Apr 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Ironically, after posting that, my dad (who works for the city) met an FWC officer at one of his jobs. Got the guy's number and gave him a call - I'm sure the hiring differs among states and all, but he has a bachelor's in marketing and had no issues getting on with the crew here. Starting pay here is only $32k a year, but I really want the job so I'm willing to take a pay cut and work my ass off for it.

17. Apr 27, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Montana it's ~ $40k starting, not really high considering the need for a Bachelor degree- but the state benefits are good, the retirement is also good and of course the job itself is pretty tough to beat :D

18. Aug 20, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
    FWCC hasn't had a pay raise in 5 years at least.....

To Top