1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fit of DD Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Voodoochild 2k9, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Voodoochild 2k9 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Undercover SE; DD Pioneer Radio
    Posted this and bumped it in another thread, but I guess it died so here it is again. I have a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS and the Metra kit in a 2012. Wires include the install harness, a PAC-SWI (going to the glove box) and a p-brake bypass. All are wired very neatly in nice tight bundles.

2. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I installed the XM tuner in the gap between the blower housing and center panel behind the glove box.
    Your wire to the sat receiver isn't going to be substantial. The RCA cables for the amp are going to be tight. See if you can get cables with 90-degree fittings, might help.

3. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Did you use the Metra or Scosche kit? I'm wondering if the fit may be better on the Scosche? Only got the Metra for the gloss black finish.

4. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I've got the Metra kit (in an '08, textured satin black).
    But both kits are going to have a similar fit... they both put the HU in the same place.

5. Jul 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Its definitely get tight in there depending on all that you want to put in. I've run into a couple of issues and PITAs also.

o You may run into a cable connection (RCA, AUX, USB) that runs right into the crossbar behind the radio. I was using an AUX cable that ran right into that bar, had to update to a shorter shanked cable to clear. As mentioned, may also need 90 degree shanks on some cables. Note that you can buy 90 degree RCA adapters as necessary.
    o You'll need to "place" some components to the sides of the HU as you are pushing the HU into place. I used some string (cheap packaging twine) to push/pull stuff around since you can't put you hand back there as the HU goes into place.
    o I put the bypass relay on the left side of the HU, the HD Radio module up into the space behind the HU where the winshield defrost air Y's out, and the SWI in the space to the left of the glove box.

6. Jul 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Wow sounds like you got creative...may be doing the string suggestion myself.

Wish car manufacturers would realize no one wants to listen to their crappy radios and make it easy to accommodate an aftermarket setup.

Well I'll count myself lucky that the unit has HD built in.

7. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Toyota used to be worse. Buddy had an '84 and the dash was not deep enough to install an aftermarket unit with a CD player.
    Late 80s to mid 90s Chevy S10s were just as bad. The dash adapter kits made the HU stick out from the dash by over an inch... and it was STILL tight behind them.

Manufacturers have been trying to improve, and you have to admit that today's standard systems (even non-JBL) are MUCH better than what we got back in the 80s. Factory JBL, and even Bose systems are perfectly acceptable for the majority of buyers.

They aren't going to provide any more free space behind the dash. Free space behind the dash is wasted space that would present better as a larger (appearing) cabin.

8. Jul 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Ha ha...I remember those old chevy adapters. My buddy had one in an old Camaro. It was kinda ridiculous looking!

My dad gave me his 89 Ford T-bird when I was 17 (in 97...he bought a new one that year). It had a radio that popped out with 4 coat hanger pieces. The new CD player I bought (to replace the tape deck) fit right in without an adapter at all. Just needed a wiring kit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  9. Jul 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Having originally purchased and installed my radio with a Metra kit, I can say without a doubt that I will never do so again, and will spend a few extra bucks on a Scosche kit... It is without a doubt (IMO) a much better kit in fit and feel, and I had no issues with installing a single DIN radio in that, where I had some wiring issues with the Metra.

My $0.02

Products Discussed in

To Top