1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fitting 35’s with minimal trimming NOW ADDING LONG TRAVEL AND 934 CV’s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by 81Trekker, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Oct 25, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    lferrara

lferrara Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    JD Fab Lower Pivots, JD Fab Slide Rack, JD Fab Inner Fenders, JD Fab UCA, DIrt King LCA, King Coilovers, 4.88 gears, 91 octane tune, etc...
    I’m confident I could figure it out through the help of people that are more knowledgeable and smarter than me. But yeah I agree don’t just slap it together. I feel someone who has the desire to learn and puts the time in to study and practice could do it though. Just like anything else in life.

2. Oct 25, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    906taco

906taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    While I won’t disagree, there is a whole lot to be learned working with tube. Along with the fact you better be competent when you’re twisted up like a pretzel welding a cage. Many can weld in position. Getting out of position into an extremely uncomfortable position changes the game 100%. Learning to build a cage simply isn’t something one can learn in short order. But I do advocate for everybody to invest in learning.

I’ve been toying with the thought of doing one this spring while the truck is down, because I absolutely agree. They are worth their weight in gold if it’s ever needed. I’ve caught myself more than once saying “this would be bad if I lost it right now”. And sometimes it freaks me out.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Slashaar likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    JD Fab Lower Pivots, JD Fab Slide Rack, JD Fab Inner Fenders, JD Fab UCA, DIrt King LCA, King Coilovers, 4.88 gears, 91 octane tune, etc...
    Yeah definitely. It’ll probably take me a lot longer than a professional. But like I do with my work I go slow analyze and make sure I’m doing it correctly and ask questions if I’m unsure. I guess I’ll understand better once I’ve done one. :) If someone puts the time and effort into it I’m sure they can do it. A lot of people just don’t have the time or don’t have the desire and that’s fine too. I always am looking to learn and become more knowledgeable! you won’t grow if you don’t challenge yourself. :thumbsup:

Slashaar and bhigbee like this.
  4. Oct 25, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    81Trekker

81Trekker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    La Jolla SD
    Vehicle:
    81 Trekker and 2015 CCSB Tacoma
    Too many to remember
    I can confirm, building a proper cage is very challenging even for experienced fabricators. While tube bending and welding skills are obviously important having experience is really what’s required. Understanding how to properly prep all the sheet metal and how to build the cage so everything can be welded 100% comes with lots of experience.

5. Oct 25, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    So would you not recommend someone attempting it with decent bending and welding experience? I mean just like anything else to be good at anything takes practice, so it won’t be perfect your first go around. I get that everything seems easier than it really is. Figured I’d give it a shot since you are a year out an I have the time.

6. Oct 25, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    I also get annoyed in my trade when trying to explain things to people and they don’t listen. So being as you are a professional in this field I trust your voice on the subject.

Slashaar likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    906taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    It’s not really that it’s not recommended, it’s that it takes a lot of time to get yourself mentally ready. That’s not a project you wanna get in the middle of and say “oh shit”.

Slashaar and a2lowvw like this.
  8. Oct 25, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    Posted that one wrong somehow.
    That was more of a joke when I said that but yeah I get it. Makes sense. I want to do it but at the same time I want it to be correct. I’m not going to rush through it, I was planning on it taking a while. I’d gladly post pictures of my progress and seek advice through the process. That’s what this forum is all about right? To educate and help people learn?

9. Oct 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    81Trekker

81Trekker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    La Jolla SD
    Vehicle:
    81 Trekker and 2015 CCSB Tacoma
    Too many to remember
    It’s not that I don’t recommend it just be prepared to spend way more time than you think and waste lots of tubing

lferrara[QUOTED] and Slashaar like this.
  10. Oct 25, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    I wasted tons of pipe learning how to bend conduit so I assumed that was going to be the case. With how expensive pipe is right now I guess we will see if it’s even worth it from a cost perspective. Yeah I figured it was going to take way longer than I assume. Just like anything I tell my wife with working on a vehicle. Yeah it’ll take a couple hours. 12 hours later… :crazy:

11. Oct 25, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    Sixthelement

Sixthelement Ran over a Yeti once, Texas, never again

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    JD LT
    I cant weld, but enjoy reading this. Learning by just reading.
    yea, theres been times Ive wanted a cage just in case. Was almost thinking of some sore of exo cage just for some extra protection. But even then, theres a lot to get into with just that.

12. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:29 PM
    Slashaar

Slashaar Trail Limo Supreme & Certified Hole Massager

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-Sport DC LB
    Coastal HC Front, 6112s+650lb King Coils, JD 62 Swap + 14" Fox 2.0s
    This is my thoughts on it. I'd really need to deep dive into the procedure on what pieces happen in what order so that you can weld up and around every joint 100%.

ovrlndkull likes this.
  13. Oct 26, 2021 at 3:35 AM
    906taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    The only real way to learn is to do it. But that doesn’t mean start practicing welds, bending and notching for a few months and jump in. You can destroy a 100$ chunk of tube in seconds by messing up a single notch or bend. When I was working with chromo on cages I would spend hours on every single piece. When you’re talking upwards of 20$ a foot, mistakes quickly get expensive. Even at 10$ a foot for DOM the same is true. The average cage I did in a smaller car ate up 150’ real quick. I have yet to measure out the truck, but my guess is I’ll be ordering around 300ft to be safe. So that’s going to be 2500-3000 just in tube.

Slashaar[QUOTED] and lferrara like this.
  14. Oct 26, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    Dayman Karate

Dayman Karate Fighter of the night man, champion of the sun

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mostly reg ass vehicles for once
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/daymans-karate-class-but-you-wont-learn-nothin-4-link-lt-and-previous-iterations.755134/
    What are the issues with the 4xinnovations pre fab cage? Other than way too obtrusive up front.

15. Oct 26, 2021 at 5:57 AM
    906taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    You’ll brain yourself on that cage no doubt.

whatstcp, Slashaar and lferrara like this.
  16. Oct 26, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/daymans-karate-class-but-you-wont-learn-nothin-4-link-lt-and-previous-iterations.755134/
    Not to mention shins and knee caps every time you want to get in and out

Slashaar likes this.
  17. Oct 26, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    It seems like the best way to do it is how Harry did it or don’t do it at all. I’m going with the rogue fab m600 and purchasing bend tech. I have very analytical thought process and like engineering stuff so might help me have less waste other than going the old fashion route. We will see how it goes I guess.

bhigbee and Slashaar like this.
  18. Oct 26, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    lferrara

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Saint George, UT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD OR
    I agree with this. If someone wants to do it just make sure they invest the proper time and effort to make sure it’s done correctly. I’m sure Harry has things he’d do different from the first one he did on the Tacoma. So don’t expect it to be perfect. It took me 4 years of school and equivalent in the field to be comfortable working on high voltage. Like Harry said just expect it to take a lot of time and probably waste a good amount of pipe. But that’s just how it works when you are learning. Just have to be prepared for it.

19. Oct 26, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    The way that it curves around the dash is a failure point IMO, if you land on the lid that curved A pillar tube will fail

20. Oct 26, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    What are some of the other effects (good or bad) from boxing the frame? No cage, just boxing and triangulated crossmembers. Like would it effect towing or anything daily driving related?

Slashaar likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top