1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FIx it tickets!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thisiskirk88, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    :ohsnap: He went there...

2. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Can't speak about the DOT headlights, but having just spent Saturday AND Sunday doing 12 hours of Traffic School (thank you LA County) I learned that all ticket costs are going up - including fix-its.

Has me wondering about, my tint, no front plate OR bumpers, lift etc...I never like giving the cops an invite to pull me over.

RZ Rob

3. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

SargeSlapnuts SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pooler, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 taco TRD off road 4x4 dbl cab.
    255/85-16 BF goodrich km3's, modified trail gear Bumpers front and rear, 10k winch, ranch rear lift shackles, Rancho coilovers in the front, grey wire mod, aftermarket stereo, camper top on the back.
    i havent been pulled over in my taco in the 4 months i have owned and got the window tinted to match the factory tint in the back. they dont really look for tint as much as smoked tail light, healights, aftermarket light in place of oem parts. me i have a full puch bar with a winch and fog that i always have on at night. never had an issue (knock on wood)

4. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pooler, Ga
    Vehicle:
    255/85-16 BF goodrich km3's, modified trail gear Bumpers front and rear, 10k winch, ranch rear lift shackles, Rancho coilovers in the front, grey wire mod, aftermarket stereo, camper top on the back.
    properly adjusted/aimed HID's/fog lights should not harm other driver abilities to see as many newer cars are equiped with HID's straight from the factory. it all about when you mod something dont get whacky with keep it with in reason. the small things make the biggest difference in my books anyways.

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    The MAN is keeping us down!

6. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Indeed.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin

That's not neccesarily true. Yes many vehicles have come with HID headlights from the factory for years. I've worked in BMW parts since the late 90's and I know they have offered them since the early 90's. BUT all of the models with HID's use completely different headlight assemblies. Different reflector design, shields that cover about a third of the projector so they aren't blinding, and most of them also incorporate a system so they level themselves as you drive. If you have ever driven a car that came with HID's you would notice that the cutoff of the beam pattern is extremely crisp at the top. An HID conversion in a halogen headlight allows the driver to see great, even better than a car originally designed for them. But without that cutoff you are blinding oncoming traffic.

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is exactly true and not something I realized or thought about until some folks on here mentioned it. A "plug and play" HID kit can be had for anywhere around 40-100 dollars. A true retrofit or replacement headlight housings with the proper HID lens/shrouds/projectors is more in the 400-500 dollar range and then add 40-100 dollars for the lights to that.
    I don't care how you aim them or do anything else. The halogen reflectors pair with HID bulbs is where that nasty glare comes from and is not safe.

9. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pooler, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Hmm alright that makes a good bit of sense. well i have HID's on the way but it always has kinda bother me how bright some HID's are to me. have any sugestions where to look for some different housing, reflective plating thingys, eyelids, and/or a pair of projectors that dont look ridiculous on a taco?

10. Jan 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Only in The Peoples Republic of California.........

11. Jan 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    My vehicles are 95% stock (my mods are hi-flo air filters and aftermarket radios, minor stuff like that) and my vehicles are always 100% legal. I drive the speed limit, I don't tailgate, I use my turn signal, and I actually plan for travel time so there is no reason to speed. And I have not been pulled over since 1987. Go figure.

It makes no sense to risk getting a ticket just because I want my vehicle to look cool, or because I need to get there 2 minutes sooner. Getting a ticket is a hassle, driving a legal vehicle in a respectful fashion is not. And I have better uses for my time and money than to volunteer myself into problems with the law. But then everyone is different, so you get what you get.

12. Jan 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Mike27t

Mike27t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Agree. Im so annoyed of seeing plug & play hids in cars which dont have projectors installed. The beam pattern is all off and looks terrible imo.

Not to all, HID's without the right headlight assembly which do not display the correct beam pattern are as bad as blue/purple bulbs you find in rice rockets

Products Discussed in

To Top