1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed my AIR BAG LIGHT

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Monkeysuncle, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle [OP] My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Breaks, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    So here goes... A long time ago in a galaxy ....well you know the rest. About five years ago my air bag light came on in my 1999. At the time I didnt have the cash to do anything about it but I did want the light off, that kind of thing drives me crazy. One post either on here or elsewhere said to disconnect battery,didn't work, another said to pull console out unplug airbag harness and wait 5 min, hook back up and bingo, light is out.(didn't work). What I did find is on my truck I have the 2 12v aux plugs below the cigarette lighter, simply remove enough of the plastic to get to those, unplug, clean all the cigarette ash out(yes I am a smoker) of the plugs and behind plastic trim, plug back in and BINGO, no more flashing light. That did work then and it did today. That being said do I know if my airbags work? NO:eek: Does that make me worry, yes, but my previous vehicles were a 1971 VW Bus, totally unsafe,1965 Mustang with no seat belts, a VW Scirocco that I bought from a Junk Yard the list goes on, but its a quick fix for those of us that can't stand that bliniking light.

2. Apr 26, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    01taquito

01taquito "thats what she said"

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    01 pre-runner sr5 quad-cab
    Bilsteins 5100's front and back. Wheelers add a leaf
    the airbag light in my wife's car turns on here and there, never have known why?

3. Apr 27, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    The electrical-tape-on-the-dash mod always forks for those, CEL's and such :D:D:D.

4. May 18, 2016 at 6:07 AM
    Bjack

Bjack Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma 4x4 DLX reg cab
    Hey I have a 99 taco I just bought and my air bag light is steady on. I have the same setup with the 12 volt plugs so if I understand correctly I should try to get to the back of them and unplug them
    and maybe that will give me a reset?

5. May 18, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle [OP] My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Breaks, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    To answer your question the answer is maybe. It has worked that way a few times. The light eventually came back in six or so months later. I go in unplug the two accessories sockets and turn on and bingo no light. What I probably am doing is moving the air bag wiring harness enough to fix whatever short or issue I really have. Be careful around the air bag wiring. Good luck

6. May 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    Bjack

Bjack Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma 4x4 DLX reg cab
    Thank-you

To Top