1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed my dash rattle!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HARDSHELLTACO, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    doodle_cakes

doodle_cakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco SR5 5lugger
    Dont think I have this, but good to know for when I do. Thanks

2. Jan 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    BIGDEZUL

BIGDEZUL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge
    6" Pro Comp, rockstars, nittos, black mods on interior, debadged, color matched chrome bumper and grille, dynamat inside doors and floor MORE TO COME
    Had the same issue. Mine was coming from above the glove box. I removed the glove box, then the plastic piece with the metal latch that closes the glove box. Right above the latch there is a white box, appears to be a control, maybe to the airbag...anyway i wiggled it around and there was the annoying sound!!! Few pieces of electrical tape to hold it in place and its gone!...Hope this helps.

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Feb 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    hardshelltaco, i am hoping that this is whats goin on with mine also. the buzz is only between 1000 and 2000 rpms though....was it like that on yours?? saying a little prayer that this will be the fix, its driving me nuts.

4. Jan 27, 2022 at 9:14 AM
    TX Stranger

TX Stranger New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4wd
    3" lift front Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, PolyPerformance UCA's, Rebuilt LCA's with Whiteline bushings 2.5" lift rear with blocks/ Sumo Springs Trailgear front bumper and Rocksliders KN Intake
    Dear wizards of the forum I humbly offer this tale of my experience in hopes it helps at least one person and prevents them from spending the crazy amount of time I did investigating this issue.

Had a metallic rattle or ticking sound coming distinctly from the passenger side behind glove box area ( like change in a can). specifically at 1500 rpms under load, while accelerating and driving.
    I followed every tip from this thread and many others, tightened bolts, placed foam at windshield/ dash, tied down wiring harnesses.
    Had my wife lay upside down listening under dash while driving, trying to identify and isolate the sound. I also had my wife throttle the engine to 1500 rpm while parked while I listened in the engine bay. I did hear a suspicious ticking from the valves at that rpm range. which got me thinking...

after reading everything I could find on the forums and elsewhere and watching every youtube video related. I stumbled across one video mentioning the exhaust heat shield below the passenger side, and sure enough mine had come unattached on one side resting on the exhaust. but it was 20 degrees out and I figured Id get to that later.

in the meantime in the same youtube rabbit hole session I also stumbled upon a video related to a vibration at 1500rpm on a vw engine.
    And this is how I came about discovering what I believe to be the root cause of the vibration and any resulting rattling or ticking.

Its a sticking lifter caused by buildup... the proposed solution was to add some Rislone engine treatment to the oil while the engine is running.

So I stopped by Oreilly the next day did just that and sure enough immediately quieted ticking from engine, got in to drive and no obnoxious vibration, rattling, or metallic ticking coming from the passenger side or anywhere else. and I hadn't even fixed the hanging heat shield contacting the exhaust yet. I only added about a cup and half because my crankcase was already at capacity and it was enough. Keep in mind I change my oil religiously and have previously been a fan of Marvel mystery oil adding some at every oil change but now Im not so sure about it.
    its been about 3 weeks since and still not a sound.

Of course after all this I remembered the trick I was taught in high school by an old hot rod guy that i worked for to put a little trans fluid in the engine oil , which worked wonders on my beat up high mileage chevy pickup I drove at the time. which had valve sticky valve problems... Probably also would have corrected or even prevented this issue in the first place.

So if you are having rattle issues or your engine sounds more like a sewing machine than normal, you might want to give it a try.

5. Jan 27, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    <-- ah, the joys of being 60% deaf...

bhigbee and IEsurfer like this.
  6. Jan 27, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

If you have a 6 cylinder 1GR-FE Engine there are no hydraulic lifters to get sticky.

If you have a 4 cylinder 2TR-FE Engine you may have a point.

The 4 banger has hydraulic lash adjusters where the 6 banger doesn't.

7. Feb 9, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    TX Stranger

TX Stranger New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4wd
    3" lift front Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, PolyPerformance UCA's, Rebuilt LCA's with Whiteline bushings 2.5" lift rear with blocks/ Sumo Springs Trailgear front bumper and Rocksliders KN Intake
    upload_2022-2-9_14-58-49.jpg
    2nd gen Tacomas specifically 2010's were VVTi 1GR-FE not Dual VVTi 1GR-FE.
    Toyota started production of the dual VVTi 1GR-FE engine in 2009, but I don't think it made it into Tacomas until the 2012 model year.
    Meaning the vast majority of 2nd gen Tacomas with "6 bangers" have lifters that could potentially get sticky.

But thanks for the unnecessary an irrelevant feedback.

Regardless of the exact cause, the solution remains the same and the issue was resolved.

https://www.engine-specs.net/toyota/1gr-fe.html

Attached Files:

8. Feb 12, 2022 at 1:49 PM
    Williston

Williston Well-Known Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    I saw this post only yesterday and went out and checked out the bolt this morning then took it out for a test-drive: This fixed the rattle in my truck! I had one of those intermittent "tick-tic" rattles seemingly on the passenger side and it was driving me insane; made worse because it would come and go regardless of speed, temp road surface etc. and seemed to come from different places: mostly the roof/roof console area. It was there since I got the truck last July. I assumed it was a piece of plastic somewhere making the noise. Fix attempts included: removing the overhead console, removing the glove box door, all of the shift console trim pieces except the actual base, the little door and the cubby on either side of the steering wheel, the sill trim on both sides. Nothing worked...... until I tightened this bolt. It wasn't real loose, but it wasn't real tight either. I backed it off and re-tightened it with a 1/4" 10mm socket. The rattle/sound is gone. I checked all of the other bolts behind the glovebox that looked like this one and they were all nice and tight. Now: if i could just cure the rattle in the driver's door that seems to be at my ear or elbow, all would be good in the world for me.

Sincere thanks to you HARDSHELLTACO for posting this. It took 12 years, but pretty sure it's a done deal now on my Tacoma.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  9. Mar 17, 2022 at 4:23 AM
    TXPATA24

TXPATA24 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TSS V4

By any chance did the sound, sound like this?

https://youtube.com/shorts/x16Bp6iZWsE?feature=share

Been trying to figure out what this is for so long.

10. Mar 17, 2022 at 11:47 AM
    skuo07

skuo07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great job!

11. Feb 22, 2023 at 7:34 PM
    dvsHOKIE

dvsHOKIE Member

Member:
  12. Feb 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM
    NotUrTaco

NotUrTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver 4x4 Access Cab
    I've had a loose exhaust heat shield make a noise that sounds almost identical to the video.

Products Discussed in

To Top