1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FJ TRD Centercap Mod for TRD OR Wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by floridaoccifer, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    TRD center cap, quick bed mat, Gatekeeper, WTs, TRD skid plate from bpfab, plastidip emblems, security slider bar, interior LEDs, AFE Pro Dry air filter
    Having a hard time snapping new center cap on. Thankfully I ordered 5 center caps but broke the first one, one of the tabs snapped off. I cut down the legs and in trying to snap on was unable to get that good click into place. The legs aren't too long as they are now even with the retention clip- I gradually cut down but it feels like 1 or 2 tabs don't click in. I have 2012 off road, any suggestions? I noticed spring on new center cap different but seems like majority not switching this. My existing center cap snaps in/out no problem. I still have 4 new I could sell but want the new caps on my truck. Any special technique/trick I can try? I almost/shoulda ordered 6 as shipping higher than part.

2. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer [OP] Civil Servant

Member:

I can't imagine the rims changed what so ever but I do recall the clips being difficult to insert. Once properly aligned I placed the cap on at an angle and then pressed the remaining tabs in one at a time. It did take me a few minutes to get everything secure BUT once on there were no issues.

I am not sure what you are running into but pictures help things more than words.

3. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Unless they are different, I had never had a problem putting mine on, I put it straight on and just hit it with my hand in the center and it pops on.

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    TRD center cap, quick bed mat, Gatekeeper, WTs, TRD skid plate from bpfab, plastidip emblems, security slider bar, interior LEDs, AFE Pro Dry air filter
    Thanks for input-my caps are cut down just like in your pics-I kept gradually trimming and trying to snap on until legs almost even with spring. Felt like 3 or 4 snapped into place but the last 2 wouldn't "click" in. I know when I put originals back on they popped right in. Sounds like you lined up and did 1 tab at a time. Did you just push/snap in? I'm not very mechanical but I had neighbor try ( he built an airplane in his garage ) and he couldn't get it either. I'll either try again or maybe sell remaining 4. Thanks for any/all help.

5. Jun 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

I do not remember a positive CLICK on mine either but I do recall pulling like hell on them after install and not having them release without angular pressure or mechanical removal (in other words they didnt just pop off).

Have you tried both sets of retention springs? (stock and new)

6. Jun 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    Update- finally have 1 cap on! Went back and read entire forum, figured I had nothing to lose and would try one more time with cap with the 1 broken clip. I tried to switch springs but the old springs are too small for the new center caps. I spent about 15 minutes trying/turning/rotating new cap and finally it held. Pulling on it seems secure even though 1 clip is broken. I think I'll drive around and if secure will resume with the other three. It sucks to be mechanically challenged, should be done and have pics by 4th of July. thanks all for help/advice, I'm sure I'll be back.

7. Jun 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    PS- You can tell by the screw up with the quote on previous post I'm more dangerous with computers than tacomas.

8. Jun 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I'll be getting those put on with my next tire rotation:)

9. Jun 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    FYI- I purchased 5 of the center caps from ToyotaPartsZone.com for $55, this included CA sales tax and $12.95 delivery.

10. Jun 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    Completed center caps mod today. After finally getting first cap on I knew what to expect and next three were much easier. Glad I stuck with it, took a lot more push/pressure to get on than what I expected, especially after putting original back on. Thanks to all for advice/help!

11. Jun 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

:drunk:

12. Jun 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Nice job, mcdee. I had the same issue with mine. 1st one I tried putting on, did the line up and hit with hand routine like I have done with hub caps for years, and broke a couple clips. So I had to line it up and "squeeze" it into place too. It's a bitch, but now I don't have any problem. And you know they won't just fall off. I bought a new one to replace the broken clip one, but have yet to put it on, its been holding with 2 broken clips for a long time. So you should be good with missing only one clip.

13. Jul 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    PhantomVirus

PhantomVirus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    Nicely written thank you. I did all 4 this AM before work - only broke 1 clip but they all seem to be holding well.

2 things I would recommend :
    1) SAFETY GLASSES are a must as there are pieces of plastic (usually molten) flying off the Dremel cutting bit
    2) Do it outside or in a well ventilated area - my basement stinks to high heaven (burnt plastic smell)

I used a long wide bladed flat screwdriver to insert the caps. I hooked the bottom, engaged each side and when it came to the last clip - a little downward pressure with the screwdriver helped a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jul 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

Great points!

I guess the first one is a given for me and all my work is done in my garage (otherwise the wife would burn the truck and bury me in the backyard)...

:D

15. Aug 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    Ocsparky

Ocsparky New Member

Member:
    Yorba linda
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD sport
    Tinted all the way around, Third brake light tint, de-badged, black mesh grill
    Thanks for the idea...just ordered mine today. Although the black ones were $15 on the same site :-( but well worth it. Specially after I get my rims powdercoated :)

16. Aug 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    Ocsparky

Ocsparky New Member

Member:
    Yorba linda
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD sport
    Tinted all the way around, Third brake light tint, de-badged, black mesh grill
    Does anyone know if this mod will work for 2012 TRD sport rims. And if anyone did it do u have pics....thanks

17. Aug 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM
    apdale

apdale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Bed Mat, TRD Bilsteins, Dog shelf, 20% window tint, ImMrYo Rear view mirror bracket, Bestop Supertop, Color matched grille. Fog Light anytime mod, aFe Pro Dry S, WT Floor Liners, Redline hood struts
    Yes, it will work. The 2012 Sport Rims are the same as they have been from 05, look through the thread and you'll find several pictures of the Sport rims with FJ center caps, you don't even have to mod the caps to get them to work, they should just drop right in.

This guy used the black centercaps:
    [​IMG]

TRDSport10 likes this.
  18. Aug 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Mach5

Mach5 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma, DCSB,TRD 4x4, V6
    I just did this mod on my 2012 Off Road. Followed the directions and this was an easy upgrade! Great write-up. Thanks!

19. Apr 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Mjordan

Mjordan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White DCSB 4WD TRD Offroad
    TRD Beadlock Wheels, Bilstein 5100s all around, BFG K02 265/75R16, 20% tint, WeatherTech Floormats, LED Interior Lights, Tailgate lock, Salex Organizers, Shorty 5" Antenna, LED license plate lights
    What's the color code for the black ones? I'm having a difficult time locating them, I think I'm retarded or they're harder to find...

20. Apr 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Duartizzle

Duartizzle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road

Products Discussed in

To Top