1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FL to WA and back! An “in progress” 6 week Camping and trails adventure with my wife.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by TWENTYCO, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Sep 30, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    :thumbsup:

MarX likes this.
  2. Sep 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    Great Pictures and write up

TWENTYCO[OP] and MarX like this.
  3. Sep 30, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    MarX

MarX Hotdogs, spam and skittles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NE Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Tacoma TRD sorta Sport 4X4, 2009 Tundra SR5 workhorse
    RETRAX bed cover, Tailgate lock, TRD exhaust. 887's, LR UCA'S, Bilstein 5100's and Deavers AAL.
    Life is tough, eventually we must all deal with the hard stuff. Hope it continues to improve. I've been dealing with challenges within family last couple years as well. In my :pray:

4. Oct 1, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    WTF am I looking at here? Is that top thing a tunnel through the mountain??

Awesome, awesome trip report by the way

5. Oct 3, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    TWENTYCO

TWENTYCO [OP] Tree top flyer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road 4X4 Acess Cab
    Plenty mods on many vehicles since 1982. Current: 15 Tacoma 4X4 V6 TRD OR Access Cab Pyrite Mica- Icon full stage 7, All-Pro APEX sliders & rear Expedition Springs + custom Tampa Springs leaf spring upgrades, Timbren bump stops, u-bolt flip, Road Armor front stealth winch bumper & rear steel, Warn Vr 8000, Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/r16, Off Grid Engineering Dual Battery system, SPod 6 switch, 2 pairs Rigid D2 spot & flood in bumper, ARE Expedition Cap, bedglide,Tru Cool 45K GVW add on transmission cooler, Re-gear to 4.56, rigid rear bumper floods, scan guage II, rigid ditch lights. full size spare on matching factory wheel, seat mods/insert, CB w/magnet mount.
    Thanks Ross!

The “hole” in the pic is one of about a dozen open mine tunnels along the various passes and trails that connect to and or make up The Alpine Loop. There are many warning signs about entering and most (in my opinion) are actually on private property and are posted No Trespassing. Some of the local guys can explain the mine ruins and ongoing mining activity better that I can ....but believe me, it was all I could do to stay in the truck and not explore some of these holes/tunnels.

Roody[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:06 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    Ah that makes sense. Guess I was looking at it wrong, weird perspective made it look in picture it like it cut through the mountain (must have been the tree in front of the tunnel)

7. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:18 AM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    Looks like a fun time.

TWENTYCO[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 5, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    nemesis17592

nemesis17592 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Comstock Park, MI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB SR5 4x4
    We are planning a similar trip from Michigan to SLC, Moab, and Ouray in fall 2019. This thread is great! Thanks for sharing

TWENTYCO[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    TWENTYCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    Plenty mods on many vehicles since 1982. Current: 15 Tacoma 4X4 V6 TRD OR Access Cab Pyrite Mica- Icon full stage 7, All-Pro APEX sliders & rear Expedition Springs + custom Tampa Springs leaf spring upgrades, Timbren bump stops, u-bolt flip, Road Armor front stealth winch bumper & rear steel, Warn Vr 8000, Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/r16, Off Grid Engineering Dual Battery system, SPod 6 switch, 2 pairs Rigid D2 spot & flood in bumper, ARE Expedition Cap, bedglide,Tru Cool 45K GVW add on transmission cooler, Re-gear to 4.56, rigid rear bumper floods, scan guage II, rigid ditch lights. full size spare on matching factory wheel, seat mods/insert, CB w/magnet mount.
    I just looked at the pic again and it definitely looks like the trail goes right into the mine! :notsure: Lol.

There were a LOT of “razors” and other four wheelers who seemed to spend a lot of time up there riding around. Could be that that tunnel does go somewhere. Being first timers and trying to cover the marked trails we had planned we did almost no off psite exploration, not even side trails really. When we go back ...we will plan on camping out on the trails where allowed and we’re definitely going to be checking out the off road and off trail hikes and areas.

10. Oct 6, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    TWENTYCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    You’re welcome. It was a great shakedown trip for our camper and truck mods. Your trip sounds great! Don’t forget to go through the Grand Mesa area between Moab and Ouray. Jumbo campground is excellent and has power and there are showers at the Mesa Lakes Lodge. It’s a nice respite after the desert and sand. Several trails and forrest road options there too. It adds about two hours time overall ....but we really enjoyed Cedaredge and the Grand Mesa area.

Products Discussed in

To Top