1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flapping sub noise.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Amo-cat3, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 [OP] Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    I have the ********* sealed box with an id10 and my pioneer gm9500 amp gives it 200 rms. The box is not mounted behind the seat so i have it sitting right behind me in my double cab. it sounds fine but i can hear it making a flapping noise when hitting bass notes. The bass doesn't sound distorted or muddy, just that i hear that dam flapping sound sometimes. Any ideas?

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    2 or 4 ohms? You probaby have it wired in wrong

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    could be blown or has too much power ran to it.

4. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Fapping? Oh sorry thought that said fapping.

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    lol...but you might have too much power in the subs,turn down the bass a little bit and it wont hit the seat

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    check and make sure the surround isnt ripped or torn anywhere

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Amo-cat3

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    I have it wired like this and is receiving 4 ohm rms. I turn down the bass where it doesn't flap, but now system is not bumping. Am i really overextending the cone. Will a better amp fix this?

Speaker is only 2 months old and i think i have a decent ear for distortion.

[​IMG]

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Sounds like clipping to me. Your amp is running out of steam before your sub is. What amp are you running?

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Also, are you sure the box is TOTALLY sealed in every way?

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Get a capacitor so your amp has the juice it needs to hit those power-draining lows and properly push that sub.

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Actually that wont really help at all. He would be wasting money.

And to explain myself (in an effort to not look like a dick) here's the breakdown. A capacitor is a device that gets charged by a power source and then can discharge power quite quickly. In the case of the OP, if his amp isn't getting enough power from the battery/alternator, where do you think the capacitor is going to get it's power from? ;)

Not only that, he's only got a 200watt amp going. I myself have nearly 1000RMS going on the stock battery and alternator and I have yet to see a single light dim.

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    Amo-cat3

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    I was thinking i need a bigger amp. My amp Pioneer gm9500 pushes only 200rms bridged and gives 75rms to my idctx component speakers. I did not use anything to seal the sub to my box because it was such a tight ass fit. Could i use leftover fatmat to seal speaker to box, or silicone adhesive?

There is the MB Quart onx4.125 on sale for 158.99 at caraudiodeals.com. A friend of mine said that was an excellent amp for the price. This amp would push 125 rms to my components and bridged channel would be 500 rms to sub. Would this amp sound better if i set the gains correctly for clean bumpin' power?

I don't mind spending extra funds for a better amp, any suggestions?

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Use the silicone, go around the inside edges of the box. Or, if you have wood glue and sawdust, you can mix that into a paste and do the same thing.

As to a better amp - What size constraints do you have?

A Kenwood XR4S would be a good match, as would the JL HD line.

Lots of companies making good amps.

14. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    All good advice IMO....and in the right order.

Check first for leaks by running the sub fairly hard where you hear the noise and go back there and feel around areas it might be leaking air; see if you feel anything.

Also, what did you mean by "it was such a tight fit"?

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    You did make sure it's not hitting the back of your rear seat right?

16. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Amo-cat3

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    getting the speaker flush would of been impossible without screws and I didn't want to torque the screws too tight. Looks like that could be my problem. Will try to reseal speaker and let you all know.

17. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.

That is your problem.

do you have any wood skills? Cut out an MDF ring, glue it to the front of the box, and mount the sub in that.

Conversely, cut out the back of the box, leaving an edge. Then put a new piece of MDF in the back, essentially making a "bumped" back to the box, giving the sub room.

With that fixed you will probably find the sub with the amp is plenty of power, and sounds MUCH better

18. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    Amo-cat3

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    It's the ********* box and I will by mounting it behind the back seat, so i cant extend it's dimensions anymore. Will try to seal speaker and terminal cup. It has polyfill in it too.

My pioneer amp does seem very clean and strong.

19. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Woah woah woah....So your speaker isn't sealing, that's a fact.

Now to narrow the problem. Is the hole too small or is the box too shallow and it's hitting the back?

20. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    good amp is a rockford fosgate punch 400.4 go for about 240 i think brand new

Products Discussed in

To Top