1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flashing check engine light. Shaking while driving. Sputtering at idle.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by apinion33, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    RebsToyota

RebsToyota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reb
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma
    2002 Toyota Tacoma --- same issue this morning as I was going to work. 159900+ miles. Check engine light has been on. Put a code reader on it, came back with P170. Cannot locate the problem.
    Cold morning around 36 degrees F. Felt like it was hesitating or a "slip" when easing away from stop signs, at red light it shuddered some. On interstate at around 68-70 miles an hour, rpm around 3500?, it started shuddering like it was going over reflectors or variations in road pattern. I let off the gas and it stopped shuddering but check engine light started flashing about 1/4 mile later.
    Any clues would be helpful.
    I had the sparkplugs and wires replaced a couple of years ago. I had the truck in for service within the past 3 months and they hooked it up telling me "everything looks fine", but then again I asked them to see their computer code would be and they didn't offer that nor did they reset it like they said they would (among other things I had to remind them of before I left). Soooo, not feeling warm and fuzzy about Toyota dealer's efforts to address my problem. Back to the Under the Oak Tree garage.

2. Jan 9, 2017 at 7:04 AM
    barrykr

barrykr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2007 black tacoma TRD double cab
    My issue was a cylinder misfiring, i found which cylinder it was, replaced that, and put all new spark plugs in, and it works fine now, hasnt happened since

3. Jan 9, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    yo that's it, use DENSO or NGK spark plugs, using Bosch or any other brands will cause misfires fo sho:thumbsup:

tcjacado likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2017 at 8:51 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Go to autozone and have the code read (for free). That will tell you more about the issue.

5. Jan 12, 2017 at 4:29 AM
    RebsToyota

RebsToyota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reb
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma
    Was told by shop that it was one of the coils, so I had it replaced. If I had more time I would have done it myself. Duty called and you can only bum so many rides from friends.
    Upon picking it up, I put it through the paces - acceleration smooth and it is back to being peppy. Idle seemed high and was a little "rough" like a misfire almost. I called the shop, then they said I needed induction and injection cleaning (of course). Truck has 160,000 miles so it probably couldn't hurt if I had a spare $200+ dollars.
    I used to put in a small bottle of Lucas every 3rd or 4th fillup. I have been negligent in the treatment.
    I read up on the induction (throttle body) cleaning which doesn't seem difficult except for removing stuff to get to it.
    Any advice or suggestions?

6. Jan 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    dawgomatic

dawgomatic Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a similar issue in my old '91 pickup and it turned out to be a faulty distributor cap that was holding moisture

95 Tacoma Vol likes this.
  7. Jan 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    A flashing CEL light means that the ECM has detected a condition that most likely will result in catalytic converter damage. It could be a misfiring plug, bad injector, bad fuel pressure regulator, etc. Not just a misfiring cylinder. (Though that is the TYPICAL cause) Since spark plugs have been recently replaced, check plug wires, plugs, and coil connectors. If you don't see something obvious have the ECM checked for the code. You shouldn't drive a vehicle with a flashing CEL light though.

8. Jan 31, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    Madriver

Madriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    1/31/17:
    Yep, now mine 2011 Taco is doing it to: it "sputters" at speed from 25ish--40ish and smooth out at higher speed; during the sputtering, if I give it gas, it seems to either stops the sputtering or "covers" it. I have not done a tune-up/spark replacement for a while, so I hope it resolves it. Thanks for all the info. from everyone above.

9. Apr 4, 2017 at 9:08 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    This all sounds very familiar to the post I made this morning. Runs great at times, runs like crap at times, this afternoon I finally got a flashing check engine light went it was running like crap. Shut the engine off, waited five minutes, started it up and all was back to normaL. Pulled codes and the only ones I found were evaporative codes. I don't think any evaporative problems would cause such a poor running condition. I'm starting to wonder about the injectors like one of the earlier post in this thread talked about.

10. Apr 4, 2017 at 9:09 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    How did or do you know this info my friend?

11. Apr 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Who did the work?? +1

12. Apr 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Same plugs and what-not replaced?

13. Jul 28, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 5 speed 4x4 SR5 TRD Supercharged
    Similar problem as mentioned above. Ran the code and replaced the coil pack. Truck threw another code this morning so I'm leaning towards replacing all spark plugs and wiring. Any other suggestions? Fuel injection cleaning?

14. Jan 15, 2020 at 9:38 PM
    mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 5 speed 4x4 SR5 TRD Supercharged
    I ended up replacing the fuel injector and didn't have a problem after.

15. Aug 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    ron.lee

ron.lee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Had this same problem, took it to a code reader and it said it was cylinder 6 misfire. Replaced the coil for that cylinder and it runs great now.

Products Discussed in

To Top