1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flat Black Pro Comp Questions

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by toyotatacomaTRD, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    So, I tried to get some FJ Anthracite Wheels, doesn't look like it is going to happen...

I have been looking at some Pro Comp 7089's.. I have a few questions if you have any experience with Flat Black Pro Comps...

1. How well do they stay clean? (are they dusty all of the time? Or have lots of water spots?)

2. Are they Durable? They salt the roads up here, I figure black wheels should hold up best in winter areas, but was hoping to hear some success stories.

3. Does brake dust show up? I wouldn't think so, but I wanted to ask just in-case.

4. Anything you don't like about them? Something I am forgetting?

Also, I will be getting the wheel in 16x8. What backspacing should I specify to have the wheel flush with the fender? I don't want them sticking out or recessed. I am not interested in doing any kind of spacer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    tencrawler

tencrawler I'm a lover not an expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Petaluma
    Vehicle:
    1985 Pickup 4x4 SCLB 22R 5SPD Manual
    Only 55K Original Miles in Spring of 2018
    I just had a set of 17x8 Pro Comp 7089 wrapped in Toyo Open Country A/T's. They have a 0" offset and stuck my tires out about 0.75" past the flares for a total of about 1.25" from the stock position. I have never had any problem with brake dust on my Taco, and the wheels have only been on for a week so I can't really comment on the brake dust with these rims just my truck in general. I took them out into the pasture the day I got them installed to break them in, and they look better covered in mud than my stock 17" Alloys. They Pro-Comp Blast-Cast (powder coating) hold up well and is relatively non-stick similar to teflon. It rains every other day here in the Pacific Northwest and there is no need to clean them up yet, but I still hose my truck off every couple of days to get the road grime off, and they look great. As I mentioned, I'm new to the wheels, but I am really please with how they look and have held up thus far. I'll take some pictures after class and throw them up (they are dirty; should give you a good idea what you're looking for).

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    tencrawler

tencrawler I'm a lover not an expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Petaluma
    Vehicle:
    1985 Pickup 4x4 SCLB 22R 5SPD Manual
    Only 55K Original Miles in Spring of 2018
    Just wanted to get some pics up. Truck and wheels are dirty, but Tacos always look great. IMO. Oh, and the headlights and fog lights are both 35W 5000k HID kits from DDM Tuning. Installed them myself on Monday.

2010-11-03 17.55.12.jpg
    2010-11-03 17.55.36.jpg
    2010-11-03 17.57.56.jpg

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    1. How well do they stay clean? (are they dusty all of the time? Or have lots of water spots?)
    the dust will show up if you live on a dirt road or drive on something of that nature. they will get water spots or streaks on them like a car will when you drive on a rainy day or don't dry after a wash. but that is all true of any wheel. i like that the flat black blends in with the color of the tire. so even if both the tires and wheels are dirty, they look the same, and if they are clean, they look the same. they look good dirty or clean to me. gloss black wheels would be much harder to keep looking decent. you'd have to wash them up like every day.

2. Are they Durable? They salt the roads up here, I figure black wheels should hold up best in winter areas, but was hoping to hear some success stories.
    we don't really have to salt here in GA, but they have held up well in the month or so i've had them. no scratches or anything. anything metal will eventually rust some with salt, so you can't really help that.

3. Does brake dust show up? I wouldn't think so, but I wanted to ask just in-case.
    i have noticed no brake dust. i didn't on my stock wheels either though. even if you had it, i'd think it would blend in with the color.

4. Anything you don't like about them? Something I am forgetting?
    nothing that i dislike. they are great.

Also, I will be getting the wheel in 16x8. What backspacing should I specify to have the wheel flush with the fender? I don't want them sticking out or recessed. I am not interested in doing any kind of spacer.

there are not many options with the backspacing. i have 265/75/16 tires and the 4.5'' backspacing made mine stick out about 1/2''-3/4''. i think stock tires are a little more narrow, so they may not stick out as far. but if you can find other backspacing, to get them closer in to your truck, get it at a higher number. i think stock is 5.25'' and mine are 4.5''. so something between those two might be close to flush with the fender.

here are pics for reference:

4.5'' backspacing
    [​IMG]

dirty
    [​IMG]

clean
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    fine

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    1) The rims dont really show dirt which is a good thing.
    2) The actual rims i havent had any problems with, but the center caps are aluminum and the powdercoat doesnt adhere as well. I actually had the paint off the center cap chip off. It wasnt a big deal though. It cost me a total of 8 bucks and Americas tire switched out the caps for free.

I dont think there are any other issues. I have some pics in my gallery if you want to check them out

7. Nov 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM
    LoHoNas

LoHoNas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Jackson TX.
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC TRDSPORT MGM
    Debadged, Fog light mod,Grillcraft, Icons,TC UCA's, OME dakar leaf pack,Procomp 7089,BFG KM2 285/70/17 JVC NAV
    X2

Products Discussed in

To Top