1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Florida B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Jason'sLawnCare, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    Definitely kill shots on a deer. When you going hunting?

2. Oct 24, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    allenfab

allenfab I hate everything

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Big complaints on the eye relief. I hunted with my bolt action this morning which seemingly has unlimited eye relief. This one seems to be only a couple of inches. Feels like I’m going to get scope face every time I shoot it lol. But, like you had it, I’m going to put it on my .22. I think it would be fine for that. No problems getting it sighted in though, and the view is pretty clear.

I’m up here now trying to do some hog thinning. It’s opening muzzleloader weekend here so my dad is deer hunting with his, I’m here just to party though.

3. Oct 24, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Huh, that's too bad. I figured that Nikon would be a great bush scope and it does have pretty nice clarity. I kinda have the opposite problem with the Vortex on my AR. I can't get enough eye relief unless I extend the butt stock all the way out and the length of pull was more comfortable for me when it was a notch or two in.

4. Oct 24, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Hmm, I was going to look into the vortex brand for this gun, might be just want I need.

Another gripe though too is the height of the scope mount, I believe mine needs to be a tad higher too. I could easily move the scope back more to help with the eye relief but it’s already starting to interfere with the charging handle which I don’t like. I’ll keep playing with it though. It’s probably one of those things where I’m just so used to hunting with the same gun for the last 6 years, so a completely new gun just won’t feel right at first.

5. Oct 24, 2020 at 5:48 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    With your resources, I say go Leupold or go home. Either that or Night Force. Both are some of the best on the market. I like my Votex, especially that it has a first focal plane reticule (The reticule gets bigger as you zoom in), but it's a lot more scope than you would probably need for a Florida bush gun.

This is the rifle with the Vortex on it. I ended up changing the rings to 4 screw rings and used the six screw rings on my 6.5 CM.
    Ok_JPmcGipQtoNh4DuGHdubbsIyHuomm6Q2zOceV_e4f90311e64db65d3021d3ea5855014286a97276.jpg

Honestly though, unless you go with a reflex sight, you're probably not going to find a hunting-type scope that doesn't overhang the charging handle. I think you can get different charging handles with different handle styles.

Anyway, these are the two Leupolds I'd recommend for you.

I'd pick this one first due to the illuminated reticule...

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-3-9x50-firedot-30mm

Then there's this one. It's the modern day version of the same scope I've had for nearly 30 years and it was slightly brighter and clearer than the brand new mid range Vortex.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-3-5-10x50mm

I wouldn't even look at Night force unless you feel the need to drop the better part of a couple grand on a scope.

6. Oct 24, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    You Suck I Suck More

You Suck I Suck More Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meatloaf
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DCSB TRD OR
    Your parents' favorite Airman
    Have you tried a cantilever mount? Will put the scope higher and farther forward

7. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    This is the rifle with the old VX-3 on it with Leupold high rings. Looks like you'd have plenty of room to slide it forward passed the charging handle.

zlGEZG0SN00h-8Z_ibUJ8Teh8q9ptyVGAWhkRMLQ_3c59ab67ce4ab5c4654cdbe5d61ebe0c2b34755c.jpg

YotaOverAll likes this.
  8. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    I’ll look into those more when I get home. Glancing at the prices though already has be worried haha.

For what it’s worth, on my bolt action .308, I run a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope that I absolutely love. It is (or at least was when I bought it) owned by Leupold and designed/machined/assembled in the US. Their website is outdated so I’m not even sure they are around anymore, but I know if that scope is that good, a Leupold scope will be sufficient as well.

That’s what I have on there essentially. It’s not as far forward or as high as some of the other cantilever mounts, but it is to an extent (I'll have to take a pic of it and post it for an example). The issue though isn’t really a matter of it being forward enough as much as the fact that I physically have to have my eye too close to the scope to be able to see the entire picture. I need something that is mounted forward or flush with the charging handle that I don’t have to lean forward an exaggerated amount to be able to see through the scope correctly.

9. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I always knew Redfield as an economy brand. A Leupold would blow them away for clarity and quality.

Those prices are actually pretty reasonable for the two I suggested. That's what you should expect to pay for any high quality mid-price range optic. Buy a Leupold and will be with you for life. They are worth every dime. I love my Leupold LCS 40x45mm (even though my wallet was sobbing bitterly at the $1800 price tag). The Vortex isn't bad either, but it lacks the clarity of the Leupold even if it's just a slight difference. Where it shines though is the FFP reticle. You just can't find that in anything but the high end models with Leupold or Night Force, and then you're talking in the thousands. But that's something useful for me that makes up for the slight loss of clarity and not something that you would need for a bush rifle.

Spend the money on one of the Leupolds (again, I suggest the first one, but that's mainly because I hate duplex reticles now days) and you will never be sorry you did.

If they ever get their custom shop open at the same time as I have the money, I will have my 1 MOA target dot reticles swapped out for a MOA type like my Vortex has. That would be a better reticle for long range since it's easier to hold off more precisely then the plain target dot.

Oh, and Midway USA frequently has Leupold scopes on sale and I think they are normally cheaper from places like Midway rather than paying Leupold's full MSRP.

allenfab[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    You Suck I Suck More

Member:
    First Name:
    Meatloaf
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    Just a heads up. I have a dealers account with Brownells. Some items I can get decent discounts on that stack with with the frequent discount codes Brownells puts out as well.

If you ever see something you want let me know and I'll see what price I could get it for you for.

For example I just searched Leupold and this is one of the the first things that came up

Screenshot_20201024-215013_Firefox.jpg

11. Oct 25, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Buy once, cry once, as I always see myself saying :D

I’m definitely going to do some research. I don’t need anything immediately so that gives me time to shop around. Maybe some sales will pop on as soon as Black Friday, though I won’t really be looking to buy that soon. I think I could see myself paying up to $600 on something.

I’ll have to look up all the different reticle options. I don’t know one from the other when they get named lol. I’d like to have one like what my redfield has, though I don’t know what they call it.

Nice, I’ll keep you in mind for sure. Here is a pic of the mount I have now for the scope. This was sorta a pandemic build so I went on the cheaper end for this when my hours got cut back at work (hence the scope that’s on here from @Taco No Baka that I got in trade for a little side job). Just needed something to get the job done for this season and then I could worry about upgrading later. It’s a decent mount, just wish it sat a tad higher

03C503E6-37E4-40E7-9E6F-6EF1DE1606EA.jpg

12. Oct 25, 2020 at 5:24 AM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Another thing I already don’t like about this gun too is the loose, rattling adjustable stock. I wanted this rifle stock from the beginning but I got what I got because I bought a complete lower. Add it to the list of stuff to buy :D. I love expensive hobbies

FA25213B-8B2C-46D1-B388-FCBB6ABFEA6C.jpg

You Suck I Suck More likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Reticles...sheesh, Leupold has six pages of different reticles. The problem is they aren't all available on every scope. In fact I don't think many of them are available on any scope out of the box. I'm assuming their Custom Shop could put one in your scope though. In the price range your looking at, unless you go with my first suggestion, you'll most likely end up with a duplex reticle (which is what the Nikon has). It's a very popular and useful reticle for hunting since it allows for a crude range estimation.

A bit of wisdom I heard last year that should have been a no brainer is that resale value on used optics is shit. So you want to buy the best scope you can afford (buy once, cry once, as you say) and that scope will be with you through several rifles.

Personally, I want a Magpul PRS for my 6.5 CM when I go to the Chassis stock and I'd like to have one for my AR, but I'd have to go to a Mil-Spec buffer tube

14. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    You Suck I Suck More

Member:
    First Name:
    Meatloaf
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    I have fixed stocks on both of my ARs. I found ones that fit my length of pull perfectly and set them at that length. They don't jiggle, as you mentioned, and now I have storage compartments for snickers on both of my ARs

15. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:23 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
  16. Oct 25, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    If you want a cheap inexpensive scope look at a UTG great reviews and decent quality. If you want something that has clear as day glass look at a meopta

17. Oct 25, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    LMarshall73

LMarshall73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Cocoa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Primary Arms has some decent scopes as well. Military Arms Channel put one of their 4-14x44 scopes on a Savage 308 for a “1000yds For less than $1000” build.

allenfab likes this.
  18. Oct 25, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Lmao, one can never have too many stashed hunting snacks

19. Oct 25, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    GuyHuey

GuyHuey Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Holiday, Florida
    Vehicle:
    89 4Runner, 2020 MGM TRDOR 4X4
    Ball joint spacers and lift blocks, am I doing it right?
    Each time I’ve started down the motor swap path for my 1st gen 4runner something has come up and I’ve had to use the money saved for that. Hopefully that doesn’t happen again! This time I saved up quite a bit more than what the swap should take. I’m setting my budget at 5K.

Ideally, I will be able to find a complete donor vehicle. I would like a 3rd gen 4runner or 1st gen Tacoma as a starting point. 3.4 motor with an automatic transmission. This does assume the transmissions have the same side t-case drop as my 1st gen. I know the 5 speed swaps are easier and I do drive stick, my daily driver is a 5 speed. I just prefer an automatic in the woods and in traffic. I certainly wouldn’t rule out a 5 speed donor vehicle if the price, mileage and condition were right or I couldn’t use the transfer case from the donor. I have notes on all of this somewhere, but will continue my research before buying a donor. *** Edit, Marlin and other do a conversion plate to run gear t-cases with the right drop. So, Auto vs 5 speed is less of an issue. Calling Toyota only swaps tomorrow to get an idea on the wiring harness.***

My runner has a tired 22re in it now, with an automatic to say it’s slow is an understatement. I don’t need a ton of power and a 3.4 will be a huge improvement. I’ve thought about doing a 3rz with a small turbo too. But, the more I think about it the low end torque of the larger motor wins out. I’ve also thought about an LS, but I don’t think my Toyota axles would be happy with that option for very long. The rear is stock except for gears and a locker. The front is more “built”, TG housing, 27 spine Longfields, gears, locker and 300M Longfield IFS to SAS lockout hub gears.

I’ll be doing the swap in my driveway, same spot I did the solid axle swap. So it will take a while, but I would like to get started soon and have the cooler weather to complete it. I have a 220 volt welder and a plasma cutter so doing the motor mounts shouldn’t be an issue. Other than that, basic hand tools and an impact will cover the rest.

Here’s where I’m asking for help. Please let me know if you see or know of any donor vehicles that fit the bill. I’ll also need an engine hoist and motor stand, I’m not opposed to buying them new, but a good deal on a used one would work too.

The last part of asking for help will come later, once I have the donor. I would welcome the help pulling the motor and trans and then again later pulling the 22re and installing the new engine.

Fingers crossed that this goes well this time. If it doesn’t, I may just sell the old runner and buy a new Tacoma.

Pics and BS thread to come when I start getting parts!

Guy,

The old Runner..

wFQs16KJ7fQkxy3GDt4igWV97svwy7CyVBpPoOAY_4b9ce41ab0d0f1a95886fac356eb2508e42c82ca.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  20. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Hey man! Thanks for shepherding and pulling my ass out of the suck at Richloam, when the time comes that you need a hand shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number and try to help out when I can.

:thumbsup:

GuyHuey[QUOTED] and TacoTRD78 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top