1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Florida/Gulf Coast beach fishing?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by HuskerTrucker, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Feb 12, 2022 at 10:28 PM
    HuskerTrucker

HuskerTrucker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    O,NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Turned it into a 2023 SR5P 4Runner
    We're taking the kids from Nebraska to Florida(Destin/Seaside/Panama area) in July and I want to fish while we're there. Perfect world I'd shell out the $500 or so to charter a guide but the rest of the fam really doesnt care to fish. Can I outfit a 7' catfish rig to fish from the beach? Or fly fish with a 5wt set up?

2. Feb 13, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    mhemberg

mhemberg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR
    I have no idea of the lingo but get a cheap surf casting rod put one of those pyramid weights on it and let it rip. St George island which looks like it is on your route is great for that. They also have a campground at the end of the island.

I should have added get a three way swivel put the pyramid on one of the eyes with a 2 foot leader. The hook and bait (frozen squid available on the island) and some small bobber to get it off the floor. Chuck it out there, crack a beer and wait for the tip to flex.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    HuskerTrucker[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:03 AM
    HuskerTrucker

HuskerTrucker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    O,NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Turned it into a 2023 SR5P 4Runner
    @mhemberg Thanks for the extra info. Sounds just like catfishing, I'm going for it

4. Feb 13, 2022 at 7:07 PM
    Sudsman44

Sudsman44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Abington PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Access 4x4
    Ranch cap w/ rhinorack bars, 5100s, Deaver AAL, 2” front receiver, Matt Gecko bedlights, yadda yadda…
    You can pick up pre-tied pompano rigs for fishing the surf. 8-9 foot rod, 2-3oz weight, cut shrimp or sand fleas for bait. Sand fleas are small crabs that live in the wet sand near the water. You can dig em out with your hand. Best free bait there is. Pompano and whiting will be there as well as redfish, blues, sharks and rays among others. Enjoy and post up pics when you get back!

strider98 and HuskerTrucker[OP] like this.
  5. May 22, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    1982ace

1982ace Active Member

Member:
    South Ga
    Vehicle:
    22 Tacoma sr
    5506C54E-5E86-45C8-BDE5-8964D3B7DE08.jpg Pompano can be caught from the surf like said before. Last time I was in Destin, we fished the big pier west of Destin towards ft Walton beach. Okaloosa County pier. Fishing at night is generally better. Here is a nice redfish we caught . We got there 10 minutes after a big school of king mackerel came by and several were caught. P.s. when fishing off a pier a large fish basket is a must to land anything with any size to it

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    HuskerTrucker[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top