1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FNG w/ camper shell question...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Herk-A-Lees, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jul 10, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    Herk-A-Lees

Herk-A-Lees [OP] Member

Member:
    SweetHomeAlabama
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 single
    Hey gang, I'm new. Just bought a '95 Toyo 4x4 and need a camper shell for hauling my dogs to the lake. I'm more concerned with price than I am looks. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

2. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    try ebay or craigslist if you dont want to pay dealer prices..thats about all we can do for ya.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    First off - be careful when reading / responding to used camper ads ...

1995 was a transition year between two different model species (the 1995 Toyota 'pickup' (PreTaco) versus the 1995.5 Tacoma). Technically, there's no such thing as a '1995 Tacoma', but sellers will always use '1995' rather than '1995.5'.

For a 1995 PreTaco your best fitment would be a camper for a 1989 - 1995 Toyota Pickup.

For a 1995.5 Tacoma your best fitment would be a camper for a 1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma with a fleetside ('standard') bed.

The exact bed dimensions are different for 1995 PreTacos versus 1995.5 Tacos. However, they're close enough that you can mount a camper from one on the other - provided you don't mind it looking 'ugly' because of the obviously mismatched fitment. I only mention this because some folks have gone this route for tops that are only used temporarily or in certain seasons.

You also want to check to see if the topper / shell / canopy was designed for a Regular Cab or an XtraCab. Regular Cab rear walls are vertical. XtraCab rear walls slope forward. Some manufacturers offered two models - each designed to fit up to a certain rear wall 'profile'.

A cap designed to fit up close to one may not match up to the profile of the other. In particular, some manufacturers' XtraCab toppers can't be fitted onto Regular Cabs because the shell's front end hits the Regular Cab's rear wall.

4. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Welcome fuckin new guy

5. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Welcome to the board- Sounds like lots of other folks know more about your questions than I do...so I'll leave that to them!!

Still active duty CG?? Stationed in Al??

6. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Herk-A-Lees

Herk-A-Lees [OP] Member

Member:
    SweetHomeAlabama
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 single
    Just got out after 8 years. Was stationed on Dauphin Island from '04-'08. I'm back in Mobile county trying to get on as a Fish and Game officer anywhere in the state. Unfortunately, there is a state-wide hiring freeze in place at the moment. Are U a BM?

As for my truck, it is a Tacoma. Single cab 4x4 and I'd like for the camper shell to fit properly. Thank you guys for the replies.

7. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm a JG going thru flight school. My wife is a JG SAR controller @ Sector in Mobile. 4 years at the Academy, 2 on VENTUROUS in St Pete and I've been here about a year.

8. Jul 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    Herk-A-Lees

Herk-A-Lees [OP] Member

Member:
    SweetHomeAlabama
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 single
    Good deal and good luck. As an OOD, I dealt with those SAR Controllers daily. They were all dudes when I was there. That job has to get old... fast!

9. Jul 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...Still mainly doods...My wife is one of two females that were there I think...and one of them has moved- and my wife transfers the end of this month.

Enjoy the civilian life...for now. and Good luck getting past that hiring freeze!!

Products Discussed in

To Top