1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Install Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Seawater7, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Jun 7, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    Actually... Just to clarify this: so by wiring them into DRL, I should be able to turn my fogs on and off regardless of which of the 3 lights modes I have turned on, as long as one of them is on?

If I understood that correctly, that sounds like the best option...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. Jun 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    Tylandus

Tylandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SR5 Premium Superwhite
    Looked up a manual for a 12. I would think the 14 would be identical.

I tapped into position 3. It looks like all the internal dash lights are tied into this circuit too, which makes sense. To me, it makes sense that it would go in this slot. However any other slot will give you full control over the switch beside 9 which is the backup lights that illuminate when you are in reverse.

3. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    Going to sound stupid here but... My kit did not come with the "red wire" that seems to work as an extension. If I understand correctly, I'd connect this red wire extension chord to the red cable that comes off the harness, and, ultimately this is what I'd plug into the "add-a-fuse" and tap into the fuse box; is that correct?

If so, seems like this red cable is pretty necessary. Does anyone know what it is called?

Going to take a trip to an auto parts store to grab some screws and a project box and will see if they have this cable as well. Thank you all!

4. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:28 AM
    Seawater7

Seawater7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    New Hampshire
    GHZ, which kit did you order?

5. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:53 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/263001994284

This guy... Seems a little different from others I'm seeing. I don't seem to have a yellow wire that keeps popping up on the videos I've seen.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    Seawater7

Seawater7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    New Hampshire
    Is there any way you could send a picture of the wiring that came with your kit? in the one I ordered: here, there was no red or yellow wires either. Just two clumps of wiring, one for inside the engine bay that had an in-line fuse and relay which connected to the lights themselves and another male end which was fed through the firewall that I connected to another section of wiring. You can kind of see it in the pictures in that link.

7. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    For sure, thanks for the help mate. I'm at a meeting but will be home in an hour or so and I'll send a picture.

8. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:09 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    Did you have to buy any additional wiring to reach through the firewall to the fuse box at the end of the day?

9. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    Seawater7

Seawater7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    New Hampshire
    No, the cluster of wiring that was used in the engine bay has a male end that I fed through the firewall and connected to another cluster of wiring. The cluster of wiring inside the cab was pretty simple. One end was a green plug that was connected to the switch, a black ground wire was connected to a ground inside the cab, and the red wire was spliced into an add-a-fuse which was plugged into the fuse panel. Hopefully you can see in the pictures I linked on the last page.

10. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:33 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    I can kinda tell, but I guess the add a fuse part is what is confusing me, as I thought that came from the red wire and that just doesn't look long enough for some reason. Anyhow, I'll send a picture here soon! Thanks again!

11. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    @Tylandus, is there any way you can bring back your pics?

12. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    I'm going to place this info up that was on Toyota of McDonough's blog that they have since deleted when the part was discontinued. I had to rebuild it from deleted pages, so it appears a little rough. Hope it helps. I haven't wired mine up yet.

Attached Files:

13. Jun 23, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    There you go... So I plugged the lights in, no problem. Then I see that blue cable right there to the right, seems to be a ground. No problem here.

As we get further up to the left, I have the green plug that goes into the button and the little fuse box I'm supposed to attach near the battery. Then I also have a black and a red wire. Pretty sure the black is a ground wire as well, so I'm good on that. The problems are: does not seem like the cable from the fuse to the button is near long enough to make it all the way to "inside" de cabin to reach the button slot, and I'm not sure of what to do with the red wire at all; I watched a video where it gets plugged to the battery, but I THINK that this is the cable everyone is talking about that eventually taps into the fuse box with the add a fuse, but I'm not sure of that at all.

I'll take any and all help; thanks again!

image.jpg

Edit: the image seems to be flipped, so ignore my references to position.

14. Jun 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    Seawater7

Seawater7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    New Hampshire
    GHZ, I'm not sure how your kit works. It appears as though all the in-cab components are already wired to the engine bay components. Where you have a blue wire mine had a red wire that connected to the battery and a black ground. The fuse and relay were also on the exterior portion of the wiring as well. Maybe the blue wire is supposed to be spliced into the fuse box in the engine bay? Someone with more knowledge on the topic would be much better suited to help you out.

15. Jun 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    Tylandus

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure what the blue wire is but my guess would be another ground. Either that or a line you can hook up to other aux lites. The small red and black go thrut he firewall for the inside and you use red for the fusetap.

16. Jun 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    Seawater7

Seawater7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    New Hampshire
    How would the wire that leads to the switch be fit through the firewall?

17. Jun 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    Tylandus

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    I had to create a new hole in the boot and then pushed it through.

18. Jun 26, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    GHZ

GHZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner
    Did end up not trying it this weekend yet; ordered a project box from Amazon to try to make this a little neater. In any case, as far as the add-a-fuse, I will be going on slot 3, like Tylandus, and will be using two 10 amp fuses (if that is too much, someone let me know, please).

At this point, a few questions remain:

1. is there a right orientation for the add-a-fuse? As in, is there a "wrong" way in which I can put it in and cause issues?
    2. would this wire work for extending my red wire into the fuse box? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IBBCT7Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ANPVYBWUHNHQ2&psc=1
    3. The newbie question: looking at other kits, it seems like there is usually 2 red wires; one that people connect to the battery and one to the fuse box (referring to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj17HmMYgXQ ). Given that mine only shows one red wire; would that simply be connected to the fuse box, or am I missing a source of power somewhere such as the battery?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  19. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    Twom07

Twom07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    State College, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tacoma DoubleCab
    So I'm looking to start this same project on my 2014 this weekend. I bought the $40 fog light kit from eBay that OP linked too earlier. This will be my first real venture into any electrical wiring and hook ups of the sort especially on a vehicle. Never really been much of a work on the vehicle type until I got my first Tacoma a couple months ago, but I'm eager and want to learn so I can do more of it in the future. My concern is right now I'm not sure how I want do it. The kit came with a switch I could put in one of the blanks, but would I be able to wire them so they come on whenever I turn my headlights on, low and high beams without having the switch. Which would be easier or recommended, pros and cons? I used the fog lights on my old explorer any time my lights were on anyways.

20. Jul 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    Seawater7

Seawater7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    New Hampshire
    The aftermarket switch that comes with the kit you ordered stays clicked in, whether the truck is on or off. If you wire it the way I did, you can just leave the switch depressed and the fogs will always come on and off whenever you turn any of your headlights or running lights on or off.

Products Discussed in

To Top