1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Mod - Odd Problem???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Okay, I did this mod today and ran into a strange issue. The right side lights operate exactly as intended. The passenger side lights technically operate as intended except the blinker is on hyper-speed. I've heard of this being a problem with use of HID lights - I think in that case an "LED Relay" or something like that has to be used. I didn't think this was an issue with stock lights and the use of the new dual filament bulb socket that uses the 1157 bulb? It seems to me that everything is wired up correctly since the lower blinker now operates as a parking light and the corner light does technically operate as a parking & signal light.

I'm calling it a night, and hope sleeping on this will help me think more clearly tomorrow. If anyone has suggestions I'd be happy to hear them...

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Bump.

I'm headed to work - hoping to get this figured out this evening with a review of what I've done and a multimeter...

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    so your woundering about why the one side blinks so fast and not the other?

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    It sounds like you have the wires on the socket reversed. Try switching them and see what happens.

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Well, I'll chalk this one up to it getting late and me getting impatient...

I went back in to double check all of my connections and the upper ground wire had loosened and started to slip out of the crimped-on female terminal. Since I had taped it up for extra protection it was still holding well enough to fool me. So, anyway, I've got it figured out. I took a bunch of photos along the way and hope to do a detailed write-up soon to post.

Thanks for all the help.

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    Glad it worked out for you! :thumbsup: