1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Switch is too bright at night

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gutsy, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Feb 20, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    How about.... electrical tape?

2. Feb 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    gutsy

gutsy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Yardville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010, 4 Cyl Manual TRD
    Added intermittent wipers, rear camera with Rear view mirror LED, remote door locks, Cruise control, clutch switch.
    Hey EDDO .. thanks for the advise!! I will call the shop and have them take a look at it. I'm sure I'll need to get an appointment to have them look at it. I will report back and let everyone know if that's the problem.

EDDO likes this.
  3. Feb 20, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    gutsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Yardville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Added intermittent wipers, rear camera with Rear view mirror LED, remote door locks, Cruise control, clutch switch.
    Hey EDDO .. just wondering .. if the dimmer dial for my dashboard is turned all the way up (like I normally have it at night), then wouldn't the fog switch still light up fully anyway when the headlights are turned on? How would connecting it to the dimmer circuit keep the light in the fog switch turned off until I press it on?

Thanks again!

4. Feb 20, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    There are two bulbs in the switch. The symbol bulb connected to the dimmer may still be too bright compared to your other switches when at full intensity; no way to know that until you try. The indicator bulb should only come on when the switch is pressed and the fog lights are on. Which may prove to be brighter than you want it. You may still have to tint after rewiring.

5. Feb 20, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    2006whitetacoma

2006whitetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 White SR5
    Blue painters tape, on ships we cover our flashlights with it to go on deck at night so we aren't so bright that we blind someone.

6. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    VanDoom

VanDoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randall
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC 4x4 Sport
    Icon 2.5s w/resi ET coils, RXT leafs and struts w/resi, TC UCAs, Hole in Wallet
    Black sharpie. Should still be bright enough to bleed through.

7. Mar 7, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    gutsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Yardville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Hi everyone!

I have an update. I recently had knee replacement surgery (all went well) and I'm not able to go out quite yet to work on this issue for a week or so. But I believe I have a solution to my problem with the fog button light issue described below.

I contacted Spyder and the rep there said the button cannot be removed and if removed it will likely not work again as designed. So I contacted dt_moto who is the seller I purchased the kit (for just $31) from on ebay. I asked if they had any old buttons that were returned so I can see if there is a way to open the button and see for myself. They replied and said they would check with their warehouse to see if they had any returns for the button from others that they could mail to me. They contacted me every day with an update for 5 days … they finally found a Spyder fog light button and shipped it to me FREE of charge! I was absolutely thrilled that they went the extra mile for me!

So I managed to remove the top of the Spyder button by prying it open on the side of the button with a screw driver. Unfortunately, when I popped it back on, the switch did not perform as designed (as the Spyder rep told me). The button now just clicks on and off. It no longer stays pressed "in place" when clicking the button to the "on" position. It just clicks in and out each time it's pressed. So I'm glad I didn't test this on my good button!

So since I was able to remove the top of the button, I was able to cut and fit two pieces of glass film (one piece covers the oval light on the face of the button and the other covers the headlight image) and I fit them into place. I plan to use the pieces I made to insert into the side of my good button when I'm able to go outside and work on the truck. The back of the glass film will stick to the inside of the button (has a paper backing that comes off exposing the sticky film back). I'm thinking that I can use tweezers to place the 2 film pieces inside the button and then press the film inside of the button with a Q-tip somehow.

I will update everyone here once I complete this project in the next week or so.

For now, I'm providing images of the button I received from dt_moto and how I plan to reduce the glaring bright light from the button:

Spyder Fog Light Switch:

FogButtonView1.jpg

Inside the Spyder Fog light button:

FogButton-InsideSwitchView2.jpg

Inside the top of the Spyder Fog Light button with film pieces I cut to fit:

FogButton-outsideFilmPiecesView3.jpg

Inside the top of the Spyder Fog Light button with film pieces I fit into the button:

FogButton-InsideFilmOpenView4.jpg

Spyder Fog light button "together" with film in place. I'm hoping I can place the film inside without taking the top of the button off and just sliding the film in-place with tweezers and rubbing the film to stick inside the button with a bent Q-tip:

FogButton-InsideFilmView5.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top