1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Lights - Match the Headlights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bryan139, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    Hii

Hii Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anything over 6k is just going to be less bright and more color

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    To put it differently, too much foreground lighting near the truck overwhelms your eyes. Your eyes adjust to the high light level, but then you can't see down the road. If you notice, when you shift from low beam to high beam on our trucks, the light beam shifts further out from the truck a bit. That's to give you down-road light where you need it.

You "think" you can see more because you have more light up front, but none of that light is making it down the road.

Fog lights are made to illuminate about 30-40ft in front of the vehicle, which is why I said the HID fogs might be good for 10MPH trail riding, or creeping your way home in pea soup at 20MPH.

60MPH is 88 feet per second. If you can't see something on the roadway until it's in the field of light from your fog lights, it's WAY too late. You'd have less than half a second to maneuver, which nobody can do (even if you can process the change in that time, making the vehicle react properly won't happen--how far does it take to stop from 60MPH?).

We routinely over drive our low beams. I've heard figures saying they're good for about 45, I'd say I can do 50 comfortably with them. On the interstate, you can kind of buffer the low beams with other traffic running interference. The high beams are considerably better, but you can't use them in traffic (except for the latest trend I've noticed in the last few months of people just plain leaving their high beams on all the time).

ETA: I should add, I've used fog lights semi-legitimately at high speed once, and they helped a ton (factory halogens). Two years ago we were driving east-to-west through the mountain pass east of Pendleton, OR. We had to wait a couple hours for the pass to open, as it was closed to snow. The roads were pretty bad, and there was a lot of traffic (especially big trucks). Because of all the fresh snow, I couldn't tell the edge of the road from the plowed bank edge. I turned on the fog lights, and they just let me make out the edge of the snow bank. I was doing 50-55MPH through snow fog passing cars and trucks like mad. I was probably going a little fast (most people were doing 35-40). However, I was in 4WD with Blizzak DMV-1's, and the truck did AWESOME. These trucks are remarkably sure-footed in snow.

Products Discussed in

To Top