1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fog lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by pudge151, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I think most people here are running 6000k bulbs, but I could be wrong. Look in slimcubby's sale thread. I haven't looked at HID in a while, and I think my numbers were off slightly. 6000k is as high as you can go, 8000k & 10000k are very blue. 10000k are practically purple, IIRC.

If you want to keep the lights, and have more light, ditch the 10000k and go with 4200 or 6000. Purple does you no favors. You can stick with the 35w ballast, as the bulbs are cheap (for knock-offs). 55w on the street would be... inadvisable (at least in non-HID housings).

55w will be brighter than 35w HID, as I understand it by about 40% (again, depending on components). There are no 55w bulbs--only over-wattage ballasts. The ballasts over-drive the bulbs.

Apparently, GE genuine D2S bulbs are pretty good at being driven at 55w. Chinese knock-offs are hard to tell, with a wide variety of quality. They also tend to run hotter, with claims of knock-offs even melting OEM HID housings.

2. Apr 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    D2S bulbs are genuine HID bulbs, like what comes in Acura, Mercedes, BMW, etc. D2S and D2R are about the only HID bulbs on the market--at least common in automotive use. There are some newer ones coming out now.

D2S bulbs will not fit in your halogen housings. The Chinese HID kits make bases for their bulbs that match common halogen mounts-like the H4 in the Tacoma, or the H10 in the fogs. D2S bulbs have their own mounting, as they are a "real" spec bulb.

There is no such thing as a "real" H4 HID bulb, for example.

So, without doing a proper retrofit, you will not be able to put GE D2S bulbs in your truck. They also cost more, by themselves, than you probably paid for your HID kit ($75/ea is about as cheap as real ones come--there are a lot of fakes, though).

3. Apr 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    i havent really got to test out my 3k in fog or rain yet,but i get lots of compliments on them.

4. Apr 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    No, several brands make HID bulbs, but they are basically the same as the major halogen makers: GE, Philips, Osram, & Sylvania. I don't know if some of the brands, like Narva, make HID bulbs.

Products Discussed in

To Top