1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by voodootacoma02, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Mar 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    voodootacoma02

voodootacoma02 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erin
    Vernon, BC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hello! I am starting to look around for the best, legal and non-expensive fog light for my 2021 Tacoma :) Thanks!

AssQuake likes this.
  2. Mar 3, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    blur

blur Well-Known Member

Member:
    picturethis, Tacospike and TnShooter like this.
  3. Mar 4, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
  4. Mar 4, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    NotYourDAD

NotYourDAD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    13 taco TRD dcsb
    total chaos mid uca, 285/70/17 w-12 offset, body mount chop, T/C bed stiffener, Leer shell,
    so im seeing gallery/stock photos. be who has installed said LEDs in there vehicle? for those of us still rocking colored bulbs, what K are you running and how happy are you with said bulbs? im partial to PIAA ( https://youtu.be/D7KyPlauzVc ) thoughts?

5. Mar 5, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    TacoFergie

TacoFergie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    Go Diode Dynamics SS3, all are great a great choice. Amazing light control and output!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this thread..... https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

There is more info than you can shake a crap ton of sticks at!! In my opinion, I wouldn't bother with any other fog light than the Diode Dynamics. It is far and above. Color options depend on your preference but Yellow is best for poor weather.

NotYourDAD and blur like this.
  6. Mar 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Drop in LED bulbs won't even come close to the performance of a properly engineered LED pod like Diode Dynamics. Better yet, they won't blind oncoming drivers with glare.

TacoFergie likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2021 at 1:28 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Baja's current SAE lights are some of the lowest performing in the industry and nowhere near the performance of Diode Dynamics SAEs, which cost far less. Baja also still fails SAE compliance on gradient. Other dealers have dropped Baja's SAE's lights entirely. I think you are literally the only dealer that still promotes the low performing Baja SAE on this site.

How about presenting data backed reviews:
    Diode Dynamics SS3 Max, Diode Dynamics SS3, Baja Designs

I know Baja provides a much higher profit margin to their resellers, but in the case of SAE Diode Dynamics builds a drastically superior product for less. Yet you keep leading with Baja's SAEs. Have you tried these products? Because it seems like you keep recommending what pays best and not what performs best.

8. Mar 7, 2021 at 9:11 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I realize you are primarily in the Ford market not very familiar with the Toyota market. Are you aware the Baja SAE lights are lower in output intensity than the stock 12-15 Tacoma fogs, and the stock 16+ Tacoma TRD halogen fogs? This is a fact. Toyota built their trucks to have outstanding stock fogs and you seem to have a major disconnect in understanding the performance difference and why people would not be satisfied with the Baja SAEs. Many people have reported being very disappointed in Baja's SAE product in the SAE thread coming from Toyota fogs, realizing they actually lost performance with the product. Baja is going back to the drawing board and building an entire new SAE lamp because of the issue, aka even Baja acknowledges the performance problem and is field testing new lights now. I am actually a big Baja fan, but will call out a poor performing lamp regardless of the brand based on measured data. I was the one that caused the recall of the Baja SAE lamps and pointed out the performance flaws, but the fix only harmed them further. I really look forward to seeing what Baja brings out for their Gen2 SAE light, but in good conscious I would not recommend the current product, being the output intensity is less than the stock fogs on many Tacomas.

DirtJumper14, TacoFergie and AssQuake like this.
  9. Mar 8, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    AssQuake

AssQuake Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    4runner
    Made in Japan
    pssst, hey @voodootacoma02. this bozo over here is trying to sell you an inferior and more costly non-SAE Baja Design fog light on his stupid 4-bi-4 website. :rofl:

Diode Dynamics are the leaders in SAE fogs right now and are much more affordable!

check out this thread on SAE fogs https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

10. Mar 9, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    TacoFergie

TacoFergie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    Oooof, these pissing matches are stupid! Though lighting is as heated of a subject on TacomaWorld as it is on actual lighting forums, the info is based on truly unbiased 3rd party verifiable hard numbers of lighting performance with accurate equipment and not opinions based on how many signs you can light up down the road from your glare or chinese lumens from the manufacture.

Crash is coming from a highly accurate data/performance driven decision, not opinion. I agree with his assessment that the current BD is not worth recommending compared to DD or Rigid for the price, especially on a Tacoma.

4x4truckleds is simply giving the potential customer options that they offer. They are a business, they simply can't drop a line of product just because of one poor performing product, then pick them back up when they revise the product and it's not their decision to make up the customers mind. They can inform them on their offerings and how they inform the customer is up to them, whether it is based off manufacture specs, their own independent data or 3rd party data is also up to them.

While I agree with Crash, for SAE options the BD lights are sub-par compared to DD's or Rigid's offerings, it doesn't mean the customer has to. Personally I would not spend my $250-$300 on a set of BD SAE when non-arguable data has shown that the DD SS3 (sport or pro considering price) or Rigid (if square is your style) easily outperform the BD's. It's hard to argue ascetics as the BD and DD look similar from a distance but the fit on DD's when using a vehicle specific kit is amazing! Also warranty wise all options are amazing and I know BD and DD build in the US, try to source as many US parts as possible and of course employ US workers that are enthusiasts like us. I believe Rigid is the same for manufacturing, but I am not sure on that. This is like if you had the choice of a Texas Roadhouse steak (f-ing gross) vs Wagyu A5 for the same price, which would you go with??

I do like BD products as well, except for their current SAE line. I like DD because they are a smaller company that has really innovated heavily, built by enthusiasts, listen to/interact their customers a lot, amazing customer service and prices are very reasonable for the quality and performance you get.

Too Stroked and crashnburn80 like this.
  11. Mar 9, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    You all want to see what it looks like when you’re coming at my motorcycle at night with BD S1’s equipped?

blur likes this.
  12. Mar 9, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    blur

blur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Let
    Let’s see it!

I know the glare coming off my BD squadron sports was excessive, so I changed them out.

13. Mar 10, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Thanks for the letting me know you are the seller I will never buy a single thing from. Appreciate it so much.

14. Mar 10, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    mulishan909

mulishan909 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mulishan909
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    seems people are liking the DD vs the Baja. and the DD SS3 have better performance

any stimulus deals for the SS3 ?

15. Mar 15, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    mulishan909

Member:
    First Name:
    Mulishan909
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    thanks 4x4, but your website looks pretty plain jane and not enough info to even look at stuff.

16. Mar 15, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    mulishan909

Member:
    First Name:
    Mulishan909
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    since i already bought the SS3, just looking for other lighting options like replacement bulbs but seems to have many of these crystal lux brand and no other choices.....and they don't even show the light output rather than a picture of the bulb and not a comparison of levels or these vs stock vs competitors etc.

i don't see any reviews but i guess maybe this is a new site ?

thanks for reaching out. i'll just zoom zoom elsewhere

upload_2021-3-15_15-25-21.jpg

17. Mar 15, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    OEM LED fogs? :notsure:

Replaced the original halogen with newer OEM LED set in my 4Runner. Only cost about $100 when i did it. Narrow vertical beam but very wide and good brightness. Plus being street legal Toyota parts.

NotYourDAD likes this.
  18. Mar 15, 2021 at 10:46 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Best bang for the buck low cost recommendation as covered in the SAE thread.

NotYourDAD likes this.
  19. Mar 17, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    A little.

20. Mar 17, 2021 at 4:24 PM
    blur

blur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Go for it. I’d be more curious how you wired them and if you needed to upgrade your electrical system.

Products Discussed in

To Top